Canberra: How to Delete?

pmcoz

I tried to run Canberra Cityscape but FSX runs out of memory after a couple of minutes. I know I can't fix this because I had the same issues with Pacific Northwest and couldn't fix it, so now I have to avoid that area. But I don't want to have to avoid Canberra; I used to love flying around there.

How can I delete Canberra so I can go back to how it was? I can't see an 'uninstall' thing anywhere.

Thanks.

FSS0238744

To uninstall go to the ORBX\FTX_AU\ folder and delete the FTXAA_YSCB_CITYSCAPEORBX folder.

Now go the ORBX\Scripts folder and delete the scenerylib_AU_YSCB_CITYSCAPE.cfg file. Then in that same folder right-click and Run as Administrator FTXConfigurator.exe (silent operation so you won't see anything)

But, before doing all that, have you experimented with the settings and toning things down? What sort of settings are you running now and what sort of system are you running?

Thank you Ed. That seems to have worked.

I don't know anything about computers. I wasted a lot of people's time trying to get Pacific North West to work but I couldn't understand what they were saying. I really needed this to work 'out of the box'. Since the Canberra area is so much smaller than the other one I thought I might get lucky. Alas...

Hi, maybe you were running the scenery with too much high settings for your machine and your operating system. Do you run FSX under XP? I have a pretty old computer but i don't go out of memory flying above Canberra, neither above PNW.

If you decide to reinstall it we see the way we can do so that you can enjoy the scenery. It's up to you :)

Thank you Maurizio. I think I've got Windows 7 60-bits, or something. Rest assured that, for the few minutes I got to take in the scenery, I was gob-smacked. I could even pick out my office windows of a couple of places I've worked in decades past.

It's ok :) Windows 7 works better than Windows XP because it sees all the RAM you have in your PC, even if FSX usually won't use all the memory you have.

To avoid out of memory problems it's a good tip to fly the scenery with a simple aircraft, for instance a deltaplano or a little Cessna. In the truth there are so many parameters that have influence on FSX's performance, but the most commons are related to the autogen slider (that you can set on normal for first, and maybe you can increase after if you haven't problems anymore) and scenery complexity (try it with dense setting). The water, another parameter, please set it to low.

You find all these parameters, once time the main FSX window opens, choosing settings, graphic and then clicking ok to confirm your choices. Also, please note that YSCB airport has a control panel, you should find an icon on your desktop, where you can choose what will be shown in your airport. Starting with minimum settings, you can tune increasing them after, according with your machine :)

I've had the same "running out of memory problem", with FSX loading and displaying perhaps a third of the scenery I think is in Canberra cityscape. Curiously, some of the buildings in the CBD display only one wall (in white) on one edge of the building's footprint. Of course when I close the out of memory dialogue box, FSX shuts down and all that's left is my long face!

I've been running FSX, with the payware Canberra airport quite happily for over a year, at about 20 - 30 FPS with sliders set reasonably high. I've followed all the settings in the cityscape manual but not, so far, with any success. I'm running 32 bit Windows XP SP3 on a 3 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 chip with 4 GB of RAM. The aircraft I'm using is the native FSX Cessna 172. I have AuBlue and its service pack and YSCB Canberra installed and operating happily.

I'll continue to experiment but do have a couple of questions:

1. I can choose from three Canberra airports, but none is actually called "Canberra cityscape" as the manual suggests it should be.

Should there be a "Canberra cityscape" available in the airport list?

2. I've put canberra airport and the cityscape at the top of the Scenery Settings list, with airport above the cityscape and with the cityscape above the airport, with no noticeable difference to the outcome. Where should they be in the scenery list?

Finally, I notice there's an old post from John Venema warning against using the Windows unzipper to unzip the download. I usually use ZipGenius but this time Windows beat it to the punch and, as it seemed to have done the job without complaint, I went ahead with the installation routine as normal. Should I uninstall, Canberra Cityscape and try again using ZipGenius or, maybe better still, wait until my CD arrives in a couple days?

Hi Bronis, running FSX under Windows XP 32 bit, i think you should use the VAS (virtual address space) fine tuning to avoid these out of memory errors.

To do so please follow these steps:

1) Save a Backup Copy of Boot.ini

1. Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
    -or-
    Click Start, click Run, type sysdm.cpl, and then click OK.
  2. On the Advanced tab, click Settings under Startup and Recovery.
  3. Under System Startup, click Edit. This opens the file in Notepad ready for editing.
  4. In Notepad, click File on the Menu bar, and then click Save As.
  5. Right click in an empty area of the Save As dialog box, point to New in the context menu, and then click Folder.
  6. Type a name for the new folder, for example temp, and then press the ENTER key to create the folder named temp.
  7. Double-click the new folder named temp, and then click the Save button to save a backup copy of the Boot.ini file.

Edit the Boot.ini File

To view and edit the Boot.ini file:

1. Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
    -or-
    Click Start, click Run, type sysdm.cpl, and then click OK.
  2. On the Advanced tab, click Settings under Startup and Recovery.
  3. Under System Startup, click Edit.

Now that you know how to open and edit the boot.ini file

• Disable hidden files and folder.
  • Open boot.ini in notepad and add the following to the end of the OS boot line:

/3GB/Userva=2560

like in example below:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows XP Professsional" /fastdetect /3GB /Userva=2560

• Save and close the file;
  • Reboot;

To set that back to default, simply remove the edit you made above.

Please be awared that with this mood ato the boot.ini file, depending on how much memory your operation system needs to start, it's possible that your system doesn't boot anymore, in this case run XP in safe mode and revert back to the previous situation, replacing the copy of boot.ini file you made or simply deleting only what you added.

This method worked very good for me, i have the your same RAM and OS. It allows to use 2,56 GB dedicated for FSX such as any other application, the rest of memory is dedicated instead for the operating systhem.

By the way in Canberra i don't go further of 1,8 - 2,3 GB depending the settings and the airplane i use. Flying for hours above, i have never experienced an out of memory error in this area.

Canberra cityscape scenery uses the same YSCB airport. When you run the scenery without YSCB, it uses the default (with some modifications by the way) YSCB. In the SE, anyway, there are more lightpoles and a different light mask.

In FSX library you should have YSCB airport, and immediately below Canberra cityscape, this is the correct scenery order.

If the installer extracted without problems you don't need to reinstall the scenery.

Please note also that YSCB uses 624 MB of textures against 217 MB of the cityscape (50 MB are of autogen) so if you hadn't problem with YSCB is difficult you have problems with cityscape.

Archived