NZQN & NZQZ - FSX is confused!

Lukehall

Hello,

Firstly, I should say that since purchasing NZSI and NZQN to fly my NGX around in, my beloved wife has forgotten what I look like and my 19 month old little boy has started calling the postman 'Dad'... Oh yes, and I've grown a beard again. My system is running almost perfectly and I can't tell you much I'm enjoying it.... Apart from one little thing: 

I know that there are effectively 2 airport files for NZQN - one for GA and one for bigger stuff. The problem I have is that FSX always seems to default to the GA version, even though I can select the other in the free flight interface.

This is what is happening from the free flight screen with the standard FSX default flight loaded on start-up:

1. I select the NGX

2. I go to the location screen and select NZQN and leave it on 'active runway'. I click 'OK' and return to the main FF screen and it says 'Queenstown' as the selected location - So far so good.

But... I don't want to start on the active runway, so in the location screen I choose NZQN and then select one of 'GATES - 1-6 MEDIUM'

When it retuns to the main FF screen, it is showing 'Queenstown GA', instead of just 'Queenstown'.

So, whenever I select a Medium sized gate for my NGX, FSX reverts back to the GA file for the airport.

Now, this wouldn't really matter in the big plan of things but I like to use GSX and when FSX & GSX thinks I'm using the GA airport, I can't get it to see the 'medium' gates and therefore, it won't work.

I should point out that on my very first flight after installing NZSI & NZQN, it worked fine and GSX & FSX recognised the correct gates, but after that, it all went wrong. Also, I'm not using any other add-ons other than: AS2012, FS2Crew & REX.

Please help!

Best wishes,

Luke

Hello,

Firstly, I should say that since purchasing NZSI and NZQN to fly my NGX around in, my beloved wife has forgotten what I look like and my 19 month old little boy has started calling the postman 'Dad'... Oh yes, and I've grown a beard again. My system is running almost perfectly and I can't tell you much I'm enjoying it.... Apart from one little thing: 

I know that there are effectively 2 airport files for NZQN - one for GA and one for bigger stuff. The problem I have is that FSX always seems to default to the GA version, even though I can select the other in the free flight interface.

This is what is happening from the free flight screen with the standard FSX default flight loaded on start-up:

1. I select the NGX

2. I go to the location screen and select NZQN and leave it on 'active runway'. I click 'OK' and return to the main FF screen and it says 'Queenstown' as the selected location - So far so good.

But... I don't want to start on the active runway, so in the location screen I choose NZQN and then select one of 'GATES - 1-6 MEDIUM'

When it retuns to the main FF screen, it is showing 'Queenstown GA', instead of just 'Queenstown'.

So, whenever I select a Medium sized gate for my NGX, FSX reverts back to the GA file for the airport.

Now, this wouldn't really matter in the big plan of things but I like to use GSX and when FSX & GSX thinks I'm using the GA airport, I can't get it to see the 'medium' gates and therefore, it won't work.

I should point out that on my very first flight after installing NZSI & NZQN, it worked fine and GSX & FSX recognised the correct gates, but after that, it all went wrong. Also, I'm not using any other add-ons other than: AS2012, FS2Crew & REX.

Please help!

Best wishes,

Luke

"So, whenever I select a Medium sized gate for my NGX, FSX reverts back to the GA file for the airport.

Now, this wouldn't really matter in the big plan of things but I like to use GSX and when FSX & GSX thinks I'm using the GA airport, I can't get it to see the 'medium' gates and therefore, it won't work."

Glad Im not the only one! I get it with other Airports though

I think you will find this is a quirk of FSX. Even though the Airport name shows as Queenstown GA the actual airport start point should be your selected gate at NZQN. I've noticed this with a number of FSX airports where the is more than one airport with the same name but with a suffix added. Tamworth and Tamworth GA and Canberra and Canberra GA to name just a couple.

I've spent many hours trying to find out why FSX does this and how to overcome it with no result so far. The only way to fix the issue is to give the secondary runway a totally different airport name and I'm not sure that would be a satisfactory solution.

Hi Graham,

Thanks for your response. However, your answer doesn't explain why it *did* work after first installation, the problem I've described means that GSX thinks its at a GA airport and can therefore not see any suitable medium gates, rendering it useless at this airport. I'd be more prepared to accept this scenario had it not have worked ok initially, which indicates that it *can* work and that the issue may be resolvable...

Best wishes,

Luke

FSX works off the airport code, the airport name is superfluous in this regard and is provided for description only. If you select airport code NZQN then that is what you will get. If you are saying that you select NZQN but get NZQZ then that is another matter. There are two completely separate APX files for Queenstown NZQN and NZQZ. To suggest that if you select one but get the other, then that is an issue I do not understand. 

If you select Airport NZQN - Queenstown and then a particular gate, when you return to the main screen it will show as Queenstown GA but it should still be NZQN - Queenstown. The name shown is incorrect but not your chosen airport. As I said, a quirk of FSX.

If this is not the case then more details would be helpful here.

Archived