Scenery.cfg errors scenery not found after a reinstall mistake

peebee

Hi, after reinstalling all my orbx scenery at the last stage I mistakenly installed the Global update 1.10 without setting my FTX to global. I ended up with only global showing up in FTX instead of global Oceana Europe and North America. So I deleted my Orbx folder in FSX and reinstalled everything I didn't delete them using the FSX scenery library.

What I get now when I start up FSX is a large number of scenery.cfg errors can't find xyz in layers 169 through 288 if I ok each error box which takes some time FSX will start.

What have I done? And how can I resolve it?

Please advise.

If you browse to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX you'll find your active Scenery.cfg, if you delete it and start up FSX it will rebuild the scenery library, then cycle FTXcentral between regions and all your Orbx products will be automatically re-added

However you will need to manually re-add any other 3rd party scenery if you had any installed

Hi Tim, thanks for answering. I have carried out the above.

On my first FSX startup with no scenery it was ok it rebuilt the scenery index with out reporting any errors.

After I cycled the FTX regions and started FSX again I got errors scenery not found 12O through 180. All the errors report not finding various FTX scenery files. BUT layer 120 thro 180 are the default layers!

I re added my other payware scenery and restarted FSX with the same outcome. Each error was reporting an FTX file not found.

I did notice in my C:/programData/Microsoft/FSX I had the scenery.cfg file PLUS several other scenery.cfg before such and such add on scenery, as if it was backed up each time I installed a third party addon.

Should I have deleted these too?

As a footnote to my last post I have deleted all instances of the scenery.cfg in the programData/....../FSX folder restarted FSX shut it down cycled FTX, and run up FSX again still getting the errors. So I played them all and with FTX Europe enabled started a flight at my local airport EGCB Barton. Just the default scenery displaying no Orbx at all.

Looks like a full reinstall of FSX unless somebody tells me another way. It's a two day job just to install all my Orbx stuff

Hi there,

Could you please try the following:

Set FTX Central to default/global

delete the fsX.cfg file(s) from C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX

go to => C:\Users\-your name-\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX and look for scenery.cfg dated Aug 22,07, ( that is a the stock scenery.cfg from fsX )

drop that in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX

fire up fsX, it should now only activate the stock fsX sceneries, if any show up on all the pop ups that something is missing hit OK

close fsX

go to => ...\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\ORBX\Scripts

right click the FTXConfigurator.exe and select run as Administrator, you will not see anything happening as it is a silent application.

fire up fsX,

go to your scenery control panel in fsX and if all went OK the FTX sceneries should be listed, as for other installed sceneries, I'm afraid you shall need to add 'm manually

ouch !  :blink:

INDEED OUCH!

Just spent the best part of 2 days putting all my scenery back together after a fresh install of FSX. I went through everything step by step. all was well I got as far as installing my 3rd party scenery, then Global after that then the global update. all was well FTX showing all my regions including global.

I then installed the 2 North American airports packs for Global. before I installed the 2 new Scotland and N. Ireland patches I installed the latest library from 130927 upto this point I had been using the library released immediately before it 130909. I then tried to open opened FTX to change to Europe ready for the Scot and NIR patches but the shortcut I had on my desktop for FTX no longer worked it couldn't find the folder. When I went to the folder and clicked on the FTX.exe  lo and behold the only region listed is Default, not Global but DEFAULT and no others. Whats happening??

Wolter shall I go through the procedure you have described above? I'll wait for your reply this time.

Phil

Did you get all updates and patches from the support page => http://fullterrain.com/support.html

as for install order I can only recommend:

clean install :

fsX

SP1 + SP2 or Acceleration, make you settings for Controllers, Graphics, etc., etc.

test if all works OK

REX, UTX, FS Genesis, FS Global etc etc + their recommended patches and or updates

test if all works OK

AU regions + all updates and patches

test if all works OK

AU airports + all updates and patches

test if all works OK, possible need for installing latest library files

NA regions + all updates and patches

test if all works OK

NA airports + all updates and patches

NZ regions + all updates and patches

test if all works OK

NZ airports + all updates and patches

EU regions + all updates and patches

test if all works OK

EU airports + all updates and patches

set FTX Central to default

FTX Global, make sure to make a backup copy when prompted by the installer

run the latest library files

that should about cover it imho

in case of FTX only re-install :

before attempting a re-install you must first delete the files/folders that could have become corrupted

in this case for PNW, same applies for other regions as well.

for PNW:

set FTX Central to default/global, de-select all tick boxes, hit "Apply" and exit FTX Central.

Go to => ....\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\ORBX\FTX_NA

delete the following folders:

FTX_NA_PNW05_SCENERY

FTX_NA\FTX_NA_PNW06_CVX

FTX_NA\FTX_NA_PNW07_MESH

FTX_NA_PNW08_CUSTOM

Go to => ....\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Scenery\World\Scenery

delete all files that have PNW in their name ADE_FTX_PNW_XXXX_elevation_adjustment the file extension can be .bgl or .off

Go to => ....\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\ORBX\Scripts

right click FTXConfigurator.exe and select to Run as Administrator, you will not see anything happening as it is a silent application

fire up fsX and confirm PNW is no longer present

re-install PNW + updates and latest Library files

check it is all working

when re-installing fields in NA set FTX Central to NA

re-install the fields with their respective patches and updates

run the latest library files

that should about do it

as a rule of thumb,

make sure your fsX install is excluded from Anti Virus programs, they all act differently and some of them just delete files on god knows what criteria

make sure to unzipp the installer into it's own folder

make sure you have Administrator rights and always run the installer by right-click and install as Administrator

make sure that the User Account Control is disabled

make sure that you have enough free space left on your C drive for the un-wrapper to do it's thing, safe to say the 20 G's is a minimum requirement

NEVER EVER try and run the installer from within the zip file, you are prone for faulty installs and other mishaps

for larger files use a download manager with resume option, in case the line get's screwed you can resume your download and do not need to start all over again

take your time, do not go on the click click click quick tour, you're prone to miss something and the guessing game starts as to what went wrong where

you have to disable each airport area covered by UTX Alaska that is in conflict with FTX Southern Alaska using the 'UT Alaska Setup utility'. This is because the modifications are made in the terrain.cfg file; I think... Here, use this tool to properly disable UTX Alaska areas, it's a batch file tool that will take the pain out of disabling each area one at a time:

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/56683-ultimate-alaska-x-and-ultimate-terrain-x-canada-compatibility-with-ftx-southern-alaska-sak

Hi Wolther ,

I have had everything working perfectly up until installing the 130927 library. I have had all regions installed tested and running in a chronological order upto the global update. It's only when the 130927 lib was released and I tried to install it. It has wiped out my orbx regions twice now.

Could it be a corrupted 130927 download?

Do I really need to remove all the prox regions, and what about the orbx airports do I have to remove all those too or just the region folders that you have indicated plus the entries from the world/scenery folder.

I'm just trying to avoid another 2 days of reinstalling.

Phil

Hi Phil,

me again, could you please be so kind and add a screenshot of the contents of your ...\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\ORBX\Scripts\FTXCentral\Regions folder.

in case of do a print screen and save with MS Paint as jpg. for posting screens on our forums please have a read here => http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/38447-how-to-post-a-screenshot-on-the-orbx-forums/?p=335815

Hi Wolter, the screenshot website has gone wonky ive logged on but im not getting the black rectangle with the select file option.

this is a typed version of my folder.I tried to reinstall Australia last night and it does show up in FTXCentral now

Australia.rgn

insertAustralia.png

InsertFTXOff.png

InsertNoRegion.png

LastAppliedConfig.ftx

MapWorldBlack.png

Region_FTX_OFF.rgn

terrain_AU.cfg

terrain_EU.cfg

terrain_NA.cfg

Phil

Hi Phil,

attached a screen of how it looks on my end, bare in mind that I have all FTX addons installed, so if a few do not list on your end they are most likely the ones you do not have installed at your end

click on the screenie for full size image

regionsFTXfolder_002.jpg

hope it helps to get things sorted

Hi Wolter, thanks again for helping me, it's much appreciated. Did the screenshot website just work for you?

Regarding your folder contents, mine SHOULD be very similar as I have much the same as you installed, as I said my reinstall went perfectly up until applying the latest 130927 which then wiped it out. I have downloaded another fresh copy from the support page and re applied it. I then reinstalled the 4 AU regions plus the Sp 2.04 and that is what I currently have.

Should I follow your procedure above and re install all my regions and airports from scratch using the 130927 lib from the very start?

Or do I just need to reinstall my regions AU PNW. NZ EU.

All my airports are still showing in the FSX/Orbx folder. Or will re installing the regions overwrite them?

Phil

Hi Phil,

switching FTX Central should activate the fields in compliance with the regions, make sure that when you install fields that the respective region is activated, somewhat flabbergasted by the reported ORBXLIBS 130927 malfunction, they work fine at my end. as stated just double check every time after a install, honestly wouldn't know what more to look for

This is driving me nuts.

I uninstalled FSX again, cleaned out all the registry. Then reinstalled FSX set it up to run screen res scenery settings frame rate ect ect.

I the methodically reinstalled my Orbx regions and airports for each region then ran 130927 lib at the end of each region/airport/patches install before proceeding with the next region I started up FSX in the region at an airport I had just installed everything looking good.

Proceeded with the next region making sure to have the region selected while installing the next bit. I worked my way methodically through all the regions in chronological order applying 130927 lib at the appropriate time and testing in FSX. Finally after Europe and the patches and airfiels plus 130927 and testing I installed global v 1.00 then 130927 lib everything fine. I then went to install global update 1.10 that installed and FTX Central popped up to confirm global was set I clicked end on the installer and closed FTX central. I then noticed that the global v 1.10 was still in my taskbar. I couldn't open it on the desktop. After what seemed an eternity probably actuall about a minute it popped up onto my desktop announcing it had successfully completed.

I went to open FTX central it came up not found. When I checked in my FSX folder tree the Orbx folder has gone completely nothing there at all wiped from my system. I have deleted my global update.exe download which I got from the support page.

I'll start again!,,

Any advice?

Phil

Ok I've uninstalled the AV software I had been trialling since my recent windows re install and subsequent Orbx wipeouts. I've reinstalled FSX from scratch and my orbx scenery following Wolters guidance. I've made fresh downloads of updates and patches that I have downloaded with the AV installed. I can now report that all is well and I'm a very relieved simmer PHEW.

Now back to using windows essentials instead of the AV I trailed.

I've added my Global ord no to my signature.

Thanks

Phil

Archived