Global flight legs 52-53... Brrrrr....

ShawnG

I did say I was going to visit all the continents...  After arriving in Hobart I stripped the plane, unloaded the beer,  got the girls on a commercial flight to NZ, because 2200 nm is beyond the loaded range of this bird.  I even flew a responsible and economical 240 kts IAS at 26000 feet, so I could make it with some reserve fuel (not sure where else I would have landed though)

Destination, McMurdo Station, AS AntarcticaX,  no, Antarctica is not orbx FTXG textures, but it's fantastic scenery, and the lead designer is now on team Orbx (shoutout to Sascha for this FSX gem)  everything was fantastic on this flight except 5 1/2 hours of flight time over the southern ocean.  Yes, I used an "enhanced" simulation rate for these flights, and I'm not going to apologize for it.

return flight was to Christchurch NZ, NZSI where the US Antarctic flights originate.  it's a few weeks before official Antarctic flying season, but there was enough daylight to get it done.

SnZGJ.jpg

QG52P.jpg

UPfvJ.jpg

LGm1H.jpg

p5DBe.jpg

DFfG7.jpg

RaxA4.jpg

k7szp.jpg

B8DuJ.jpg

QR3jT.jpg

I always wondered what the scenery from AS looked like . Great shots Shawn , but If it was me I would somehow have found room for the beer and the girls . Nights get very cold

down there . >:D >:D

Brad

ah, but you need to think ahead...  As I mentioned, official Antarctic flying season starts in October, meaning the guys and gals at McMurdo haven't seen a regular cargo flight since March.  If I had showed up with 4 Hawaiian Tropic models and a flying keg party it... wouldn't have been pretty.

The AS scenery actually looks better when you are properly set up for it.  They actually recommend setting your LOD to 8.5 down here, since there's no autogen trees to hold down your performance.  the distant mountains look a lot better with 8.5, but I don't dare set it past 5.5 on my rig for normal flights, even with DX10.  If you have any interest at all in flying down here you should get it.  all the bases are covered, the entire continent (except the South Pole itself, FSX limitation)  and navigating takes on a whole new challenge when you are trying to deal with anything compass related.  Oh, and landing on the Ice runway in a heavy cargo plane is worth the price of admission by itself.  lots of great opportunity to fly from NZ to McMurdo.

Archived