Considering buying

tonyc1946

I am considering buying the Orbx range and was wondering what effect it will have on my current favourite products.

For instance if I buy FTX Scotland which has 40 "reworked" airports will this affect the use of my favourite UK2000 airports at Glasgow and Edinburgh? Also are the FTX Scotland airports better and more detailed than the Scotflight series?

Currently I have REX and GEX Europe plus a lot of pay and freeware airports throughout Europe. 

They work well together, just ensure your UK2000 Addons are above Orbx.  Make the switch Tony, you wont be disappointed :)

Would strongly recommend FTX Global also !!!  The Orbx Airfieds are a lot better than Scotflights IMHO. 

So if I buy FTX Global what does that give me in terms of details (cities, etc)? Or is this just a texture improvement and to get the detailed areas I must buy the local add on areas?

No and yes.

If you buy FTX Global (you will -- right now you are just trying to resist the spend, which is commendable) then it is not just textures.  It is expanded and improved autogen, which to me, sir, is more important than the textures.  Can't say enough about the textures, and that gets a lot of attention, but one of the big buzzkills for me in FSX, even with UTX and GEX, was seeing some autogen building that is obviously way out of place.  I always refer to that Petroleum Corporate HQ building that just seems to crop up in the most bizarre and far-flung locations, like in Mongolia or Siberia or someplace way off the beaten path.  Now when you fly over Russia, you will Russian bog-standard garden variety high-rises that look real enough that it is evident the artist came from there (JV said the dude is from Ukraine).  When you fly over Thailand or Vietnam, you see those buildings, and not something you would expect to see on Main Street USA.  This is because they added a helluva lot of more autogen buildings/objects to draw upon, and they improved the autogen lookup process of classifying which objects should go where.  Did I mention the improved textures?  Right, those are good too.

If you want the most real you have ever seen, then yes, you gotta get the regions.  Start with either PNW in the US or Australia, so that you can install a couple freeware detailed ORBX airports.  Just give that a go, Tony -- but you were warned, this could change the way you budget your monthly income.

The best way to describe Global is that it is a replacement for GEX, but you get Orbx attention to detail throughout the World.  It gives FSX a complete rebuild :) and with FTX Global Vector and the Open LC coming soon it will get even better!

Most Addons you already have will normally work with Orbx, so you wont  lose anything either.

Believe me Tony, Orbx will give you a whole new FlightSim experience.  Why not try their Demo for Tasmania and the Olympic Peninsula?

I personally would buy FTXG and Orbx Scotland to start with and build up as and when you can afford it

Thanks guys you have been really helpful.

I fly mostly for a very well known British VA ("the worlds favourite airline") preferring short medium haul to UK and Europe. So most of my low level experiences tend to be around the UK, either for departures or landing, or when doing the low level regional flights such as the Scottish islands and highlands.

One of my biggest annoyances was buying Aerosoft's VFR London only to find that, though it looked great, as I depart the London region at around 6 - 12000 ft all I can see is a huge rectangle enclosing the London area which is a totally different colour to everything around it.

As far as my airports are concerned I, like many am a huge admirer of Gary Summons UK2000 airports and it would really be difficult, if not impossible to better their realism. So keeping these along with some other favourites is important to me.

It sounds like I start with FSX Global plus at least Scotland but perhaps England and Wales (dependant on budget).

I assume there are more European areas on their way? One of my favourite freeware sceneries of all time is Linguria Genova scenery which I understand was developed by a guy who has since joined the Orbx team. If the Orbx rendition is anywhere near this it will be, as they say in the modern vernacular, awesome!

One more thing if I get FSX Global do I uninstall GEX but keep REX?

Thanks

Tony

Tony,

You are already in the trap... :-)

I promise you, if you start with one part of the UK, you want to have them all and if you then flying into Europe from the UK you will be diappointet wit the GEX textures....therefore the next buy will be coming...FTXGlobal .....then you can enjoy your sim in a total new way I promise as I went through this already.

I started with NA and ended up with most of the OBRX regions and alot of single Airports.

There are so nice ones in the UK and even the UK2000 airports are fitting in perfectly.

The only area I get a few problems is the London area as I got LHR and the London City aiport plus the OBRX UK and that brings my computer to its limits but elswhere ...perfect flying.

You need to find a few good reasons for yourself to maybe overspent your budget!

BUT its worth it!!!!

Btw, you do not need to uninstall GEX it will be overwritten by FTXG and you will have the option to bu the textures.....in real, you will not re-install them. I promise :-)

As far as my airports are concerned I, like many am a huge admirer of Gary Summons UK2000 airports and it would really be difficult, if not impossible to better their realism. So keeping these along with some other favourites is important to me.

I have almost all of the UK2000 airports and they are top notch. They fit nicely into FTX England, Wales and Scotland :)

You really should take a look at the new Orbx Southampton airport, which raises the bar for airport scenery in the UK.

Hi Tony,

The compatibility with your others add-ons is an interesting point. If you have not yet, go have a look to this part of the forum :http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/forum/80-ftx-compatibility-forum/

You should know that ORBX products are not compatible with all other vendors products. Some are, some not (that's a reason why FTX Central allows to switch between ORBX world and the rest of the world). And when they are, it is not always out of the box : you may have to dig into the files (nothing too heavy of course, but it might take some time).

Anyway, I'm sure you will fully enjoy your new toys :) . Just don't forget to inform yourself.

Archived