Longview Ranch & CRM region vs FTXG

Tanzo

Hello,

Newbie's first official post.  As my kids are starting to develop a passion for flight, I've responded by adding FSX to a bootcamp partition on a mac- space unfortunately at a premium as the OSX side takes priority.  We tried to cover our bases w/ FTXG thinking it was universal (and its a good one at that), but as I read more, maybe we prematurely pulled the trigger, given our space limitations and the more detailed eye candy we're seeing on the site.  We particularly like Longview Ranch, but want to understand how bloated the install could potentially be...      

1. Did I read somewhere that LR is a complete standalone addon product?

2. If its not, can we substitute FTXG in hybrid mode for CRM? 

3. If so, what differences can we expect to see between that and CRM as a base?

Thanks in advance for your help.  

The Longview Ranch addon is ment to be used with the CRM region, allthough you could install it without it but it won't display like it's supposed to be and not reccomended.

FTX Global isn't anywhere near the detail of the Orbx regions as it's just a texture replacement(+ night lightning) where with the regions you get area spesific textures, landclass, mesh, accurate roads, rivers, lakes and coastlines and sometimes even some photoreal areas.

I use FTX Global/UTX combo for flying in areas where Orbx have not yet covered with regions, but it will never(atleast not yet) replace the detailed Orbx regions.

Kaboki, thank you for your reply.

I understand. If there aren't too many issues (ie., elevation discrepancies, marginal loss in graphic quality w/ respect to textures (although from what I've read on this forum, I assume application of FTX textures to "default" fsx are also consistent, all objects come from an up-to-date object library which was just released and shared among all addons, Add to that the product statement that LR is "complete as it gets flying between the two airfields," what's left- mesh? Perhaps mesh is the achilles heel in my thinking- I'd probably want to install mesh that's more global or at least national in scope. At this point I don't know what the options are yet. Outside of the mesh issue, I suppose what I'd lose in quality is outside the bounds of the scenery included within the LR package. At this point, I'd rather cede hard drive space to a region that has a high diversity of airport offerings.  Unless I'm mistaken CRM only has Jackson, W. Yellowstone and Longview.  Dilemna is we're interested in Longview, which is why we'd love to see the effect of the FTXG vs CRM as base...

Given the product is more than a year old and the company is on to bigger/better w/ LC addons, hopefully a positive answer from FTX/ORBX doesn't create a marketing issue,

Anyone from FTX/ORBX care to comment on the technical ramifications of my original question?

Thanks.

Ah... here go...see below.    

A couple days ago I couldn't distinguish an fx from a gx or sx yada yada yada, I'm not normally one to post, but the answer seems to elude this as well as other sites.  Looking forward to your reply.  Thx.  R

Unless I'm mistaken CRM only has Jackson, W. Yellowstone and Longview.  Dilemna is we're interested in Longview, which is why we'd love to see the effect of the FTXG vs CRM as base...

The effect you'll see using Global as opposed to Central Rockies is Global does not include the elevation BGL files necessary for proper display, as a result you'll see a lot of plateaus and valleys as you approach the airport.  Buildings and cars may appear to be floating in air.  If you want a region that has the most airports available, choose Pacific Northwest over Central Rockies.

Thanks Bruce.  We'll probably get PNW, but there's something very unique about Longview that just charms the hell out of the kids and me- ok just me. I'm pretty sure my 11 Y.O. just wants to go cow tipping with a bush plane. 

It'd be great if we found a way to get it to work without CRM taking dead space on the bootcamp partiton- like... hopefully Wolter says, " buy it and just hit the hybrid button."   MCA NA Airstrips apparently works for both PNW & default (now FTXG), How do they achieve dual compatibility (no cow tipping)?

The primary incompatibility is that roads and rivers in default FSX will not match the photoreal area which is apparent at the borders of the scenery and along rivers where the water not be flattened in line with the shores. There may also be color mismatches as the photoreal border is intended to blend with the land class as it appears in CRM.

At this point, I'd rather cede hard drive space to a region that has a high diversity of airport offerings.  Unless I'm mistaken CRM only has Jackson, W. Yellowstone and Longview.  

Intresting you say this and I bet you're not the only one thinking this way, as I have been wondering if this could be the reason the NZ regions doesn't sell so well, because the lack of addon airports. I useally buy all regions just to support this great company, but the lack of airport for NZ have kept me from flying there(I still bought it). I got very sad when they announced that NZ would not get so much attention with payware airports as I have been looking forward to get more airports for it.

NZ is the best region so far when it comes to performance and I saw great possibilities of what the devs could do to this place because of the headroom they got to put in detailed things without taking a huge performance hit. E.g NZ Auckland is one of the few the photoreal cities I can have pretty much everything maxed and still have constant 30FPS locked and silky smooth flights.. And Milford sound is one of the few Orbx aiports I didn't have to untick a single option in the control panel 8)

Archived