FTX Global and photorealistic scenery

brubros

I am using using a number of photorealistic U.S. States from another vendor. Those have now disappeared and seem to be "overwritten" by FTX Global. What I was expecting when I purchased it was FTX Global would appear only where there was not existing third-party sceneries or at least FTX Global could be lowered in the Scenery list so that other sceneries could take priority. But FTX Global doesn't appear in the Add/Modify/Delete Scenery list and with the new FTX Central I can't seem to selectively "turn off" FTX Central when I am flying over a photorealistic area.

I feel like I'm missing something fundamental (land classes versus textures versus scenery, etc.) but could you just confirm that FTX Global is an "all or nothing" installation and it is expected that third party scenery would not co-exist? And, if so, can I just uninstall it if I want to return to my photorealistic scenery instead?

Thanks!

Hi there,

actually, it's not possible that a landclass based system like FTX Global or our region products could overwrite photoreal texture files, even if it tried to. Thus, the only way for your photoreal third-party add-ons to not display is if their respective entries in the scenery library menu got deactivated or removed. So that's the first thing to check: are those entries present and active? Their placement in the library relative to the FTX entries doesn't matter as photoreal will automatically overwrite any and all landclass scenery.

Cheers, Holger 

Holger - Thanks for the response. I thought the same. This is my setup and result however:

My settings:

YSUE5.jpg

My result (MegaSceneryEarth California appears overwritten by FTX Global - KLAX is addon that appears to still work):

EtWn.jpg

What would you suggest I review/do next? I can uninstall/re-install MegaSceneryEarth if you think I should do so.

Thanks again!

Bruce

Hi Bruce,

odd that! The presence of the KLAX photoreal area proves that it's not an issue with FTX Global but it's quite peculiar that MSE doesn't display because, like I mentioned, there's nothing that can overwrite or exclude active photoreal files.

If you double-click on an entry in the scenery library menu it'll show you the entry's folder location. Have a look inside its scenery subfolder, it should contain a number of large .bgl files that contain the photoreal data. Maybe those files somehow got moved or renamed to become inactive? What about Colorado, is it the same issue?

Cheers, Holger

Yes, check if MSE Colorado is showing ok. If it is, you may need to add extra scenery library entries for the 2 other parts of MSE California you have installed but might not have added scenery library entries for. I.e. if you purchased the whole California state (3 regions) and installed the North region part first, it will have created the California entry in the scenery library referencing the North folder only. So when you add the Central and South regions, it didn't add a separate library entry for those, and hence it is not showing in your FSX world. Hope that makes sense.

Thank you both very much! My scenery was pointing to, really, nothing after I read your suggestions. So I deleted the two megascenery entries and re-added them (and, yes, there was three separate entries for north, central and southern California) and, voila, photorealistic scenery as expected and FTX Global operating as expected (not visible when other scenery present but present everywhere else).

Sorry for the bother. But thanks for the support!

Archived