large sections of terrain not appearing

trelloar

I have installed FTX global for FSX. Immediately I am seeing the problem in the posted picture. I have played with settings until blue in the face. The only setting that has made a difference is the DX10 preview. when DX10 is enabled this issue goes away but other problems appear such as black squares on terrain and crazy "flashing" or image distortion on runways even with each exit to taxiways. Have heard DX10 has some issues with FTX global so have been trying to stay away from it but when dx10 is disabled I get the large blue coverage where terrain should be showing. Of course these areas fill in just as my plane gets right now over them but otherwise looks horrible. Anybody know how to solve this issue?

nZCeB.jpg

Hi trelloar,

Thank you for providing a screenshot. I haven't come across this issue before. Does it happen every or in specific locations? Does it go away after refreshing the scenery library?

Additionally, what are your system specifications? FSX has similar issues appear when a system is heavily taxed but if you are running a high end system then that will not be the issue of course.

On a GT540m it may be possible that the card is being stressed.

Do you have the HighMemFix = 1 tweak applied in your CFG?

If in game settings are reduced do the problems go away? It looks like the errors FSX throws when the GPU is overloaded

Highmemfix must be added manually to the fsx.cfg file as shown below:

[GRAPHICS]
HIGHMEMFIX=1

Update everything, GPU, Windows, and even bios if you can.

Me I had to OC to finally get good FPS but that is not your problem now.

I was looking carefully at your image and it look like you not loading thing properly.

yes I do have highmemfix=1..

get a load of this...

I had previously made a significant drop in the slider settings and problem persisted.

Decided to try again this time dropping all sliders down to zero. Dropping all to zero stopped the problem, ok good...  then I brought them straight up to max one at a time leaving water to be the last one. Finally, with every thing except for water maxed out including autogen and scenery complexity. Problem was still gone! brought water up one notch at a time and highest I can go is middle "high 1x" not too shabby from a slider stand-point but I have been spoiled to max water effects along with everything else prior to FTXG. I guess I'm trading max water for better terrain... and as for it living up to it's expectations... I suppose I did a little mental kung-fu on myself at first. Will say it's not quite what I expected as I saw an FTXG video that I swear I thought was real for about 5 or 10 seconds and if you can fool my eye even for that length of time, you're looking pretty good. Yeah so maybe that was a "user's" video of FTXG with god knows what else added on but then I start researching and looking at what orbx puts out in terms of videos and all of the hype and talk about it... well, I was convinced that your next product will be the fountain of youth. Purchased and installed ready to see something amazing and obviously better... didn't hit me right away but now that I don't have a blue sky on the ground hindering view of scenery.. it looks pretty damn good. Will be keeping my eye out for updates and maybe someday (never) I will start purchasing regions and or airports... which if I'm not mistaken... again.... will in fact more likely be the eye-candy I am going for. Still gonna try to update my NVidia drivers but pretty sure I already did that when my bug for flying and FSX returned a few months ago... and my work schedule lightened up a bit going from 60 hrs a week to 40  ;) Thanks for the help i'm out!

Water at a high level can be very taxing, on my laptop system with a GTX560M the highest I was able to go was also 1.x before the entire thing slowed to a halt.

Glad to see your terrain issue has been solved, I'll mark the thread as such!

Regards,

Alex

Archived