FSX Default Button in FTX Central/FTX Global

hjmx

Is there any chance that we can get back the 'FSX Default Button' in the FTX-G Central. Means: Easy switch between FTX Region(s) / FTX Global / FSX Default, latter  might contain other or original texture sets and core files. (I am not looking for a FTXG uninstaller! ). Or is this technically not possible. If so, could you explain perhaps?

Cheers,

Harry

Hi Harry,

FTX Global is intended to create a new 'default' which is why FTX Central was updated with it. Creating a switch back to the default texture set would require swapping ~6.5GB of FTXG textures and ~4GB of original textures back and forth assuming that the user created a backup upon initial installation. With just that process it would probably take several minutes for each switch. That's one of the technical difficulties behind creating a switch back to default like the regions have done. 

Hi Harry,

FTX Global is intended to create a new 'default' which is why FTX Central was updated with it. Creating a switch back to the default texture set would require swapping ~6.5GB of FTXG textures and ~4GB of original textures back and forth assuming that the user created a backup upon initial installation. With just that process it would probably take several minutes for each switch. That's one of the technical difficulties behind creating a switch back to default like the regions have done. 

What about a (probably not so simple) rename.bat to change folder names and not the content....

That or just usage of symlinks. But both have a side effect: if the user would install a scenery which puts a texture file into the scenery\world\texture folder, it would only install into one of the two folders.

As Alex said, the only probably viable solution would be to copy the files back and forth, using extra 4GB space, and I personally would actually be OK with it, but a single suggestion would be to bring a pop-up window saying something like "FTX Central will start copying about 4GB of files, this will take couple of minutes - yes or no?". A simple FSX Default option would suffice.

And of course, the switch should also swap the other "core" files for a default look.

Give the user a chance, but warn him.

Changing the folders or symbolic links could do the job, although the current setup is not designed for this since the installer creates a backup folder wherever the user chooses.

Any changes to FTX Central and a switch between Global and FSX default would have to be coordinated by JV and Adrian who codes FTX Central.

That is the exact thing that JV and Adrian should please reconsider doing, as this is probably the sole reason for the whole "problem". Providing that would most likely give you the best leverage on the current problem, which is being pointed out not only here but outside FTX forums too...

I'm one of those Orbx customers who very much wanted the old FSX default option back and did not agree with the direction FTX Global has taken, although I still purchased it and use it. As FTX Global does take over certain FSX core files to become the new default I do not wish to have to uninstall it every time I want to switch to other products that rely on FSX being in its default state.

As the installer is still pending anyway and for the reasons above I've decided to do something about this myself. I'm coding a tool using symlinks which enables me to switch freely and is completely transparent to FSX, FTX Central or any other add-on. It's not technically difficult but does require some careful initial setup and correct use, although no more really than making sure that FTX Central was set to the old FSX default mode, which of course is no longer an option. The advantage is that once it's in place any add-on can be installed into either config or both depending on compatibility. Another plus over copying is a carefully defragged and optimised FSX disk doesn't get degraded by thousands of texture files being moved around.

Win-win it seems to me and Orbx could do something similar.

So we don't get a default switch by no means. This it not what I wanted to hear, but I can live with it. Hope that robmw or others find another solution.

Thank you for answering.

Harry

I am really starting to get confused by the desire to "return to default FSX". When FSX came out, it was slated for textures in certain places being totally wrong. Along came GEX first, who started customizing ground textures to match more the real world we see. Once I had those installed, I never reverted to default in the regions I had covered with GEX (EU and NA). I started adding OrbX regions, so I either flew in a fully fledged OrbX region, or in a GEX zone. I did not venture into or across default territory, except for one single mid/long haul I did into FT Dubai Reloaded... I didn't like the look of things so much that I decided I would wait for an improvement before going over default territories again...

Then along came FTX Global. Out went GEX, reinstating default for the 30 seconds it required to set up the FTX Global installer...

Installer missing or not, there is NO WAY I am going to waste my time going back to default ground textures. I may not have tried every single addon scenery I have so far, but the ones I have seen work exceptionally well with FTX Global so far.

Accuse me of being a fanboy, but it goes without saying. FTX Global is one of those game changers... I wouldn't really call it an addon as such, as it is such an enhancement to FSX. Some texture replacement is a necessity. The user has to decide which one id the correct choice for him/her. Me? FTX Global... no need for an uninstaller even... Should I ever wish to, the simple enough procedure has been documented here, available to all to read... oh... and an uninstaller is coming as well...

A

I support Harry and Kosta on this matter. I very much like FTXG, it's amazing. But, I had a nice freeware texture set of Aime Leclercq and some custom textures before installing FTXG. It's too bad I can't use them anymore. Of course they're not good as FTXG overall. Still, I didn't want to loose them because they match to certain geopraphical areas very well.

Since FTXG is still ongoing project and lot of improvements will be add in coming months or year, it would be logical and appropriate action that giving users ability to switch back to default state easily. This way we can compare and spot any incompatibility issues FTXG is having with existing addons. Not having this switch, I decided to keep 2 FsX installations separately, one with FTXG and one without, so I can solve incompatilibility issues if there's any.

People keep saying FTXG is just a texture replacement. But, it's not just a texture replacement, isn't it? It's a huge and still ongoing project trying to change of FsX's face completely. It's a simulator upgrade. I love Orbx products and I am grateful to Orbx for this project, but Orbx should give us choice and flexibility on this matter.

Archived