Jeff's Round the World with ORBX (004)

jpreou

Leg4 - Lord Howe to Coff's Harbour

Purchased Coff's tonight in preparation for this leg of my world trip.

A dawn start again this morning in good weather, albeit it bit blowy on the nose.

I leave Lord Howe and as I do so, in realistic fashion of course, I get interrupted by my three year old daughter. The result of that is incomplete after take off checks and me

wondering for half the flight why I'm going so slow. Sure, there's the 31kt headwind, but even so. Took me quite some time to realise, in between household chores (told you it was realistic!), that I had been flying against the flaps! Retracted those and my little rocket ship rocketed off like a little rocket and I started clawing back some time. Just as well the RV has *great* endurance! :)

Leaving Lord Howe; so beautiful here I don't really want to go...

lw9m.jpg

From almost 160nm out this green haze teased me, but it never seemed to get any closer.

m0vq.jpg

Approaching Coff's

v0ul.jpg

Turning onto finals from left base

x4od.jpg

Settled in for the downhill run onto the numbers

mdkn.jpg

...and the logbook so far. This leg would have been some 45 minutes quicker, probably, if not for the slight flap oversight. Just as well they are study as I was slightly outside their normal operating range for a while there! (I console myself that in a real plane I would hopefully have noticed!)

nv1k.jpg

My next flight plan, in multiple hops no doubt, takes me inland to bypass all the major airspace up the Australian coast, heading north to the tip of Queensland at Injinoo before hopping across the water via the freeware Murray Island to Daru in Papua New Guinea. See you there!

Thanks for looking.

Archived