Searching the B-36 around Stewart

Stillwater

A little expedition crew had hired a pilot (guess whom?) to take them to Stewart an on to the 1950 B-36 crash site ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1950_British_Columbia_B-36_crash ). On February 13, 1950, a Convair B-36B, serial number 44-92075 assigned to the 7th Bomb Wing at Carswell Air Force Base, crashed in northern British Columbia after jettisoning a Mark 4 nuclear bomb. This was the first such nuclear weapon loss in history. 

Arriving into Stewart over Portland Inlet...:

hRB9N.jpg

WJyEH.jpg

cMKqA.jpg

Before they went with full equipment, they asked me to take one guy over to the crash site, to check the exact location. So we took off with a smaller plane...

ifTRH.jpg

... over Premier Gold Mine ...

i3hV8.jpg

... Salmon Glacier ...

7NOEJ.jpg

... Bear Glacier.

D09Zs.jpg

But, unfortunately, the site is not (yet) visible from the ORBX air, at the published coordinates. 

hpZFi.jpg

[Came back later for a closer inspection, successless.]

wOP8U.jpg

So we returned to Stewart acreoss Cambria Icefield. The guys will have to look from the ground...

QnVHD.jpg

... while I went back to Ketchikan:

cEDpL.jpg

vuoDs.jpg

Of course I tried to continue the music theme, but could not find any with Stewart (except Rod, but that´s not funny). At least I had a good hit with the combination of "Stewart" and "B-36", and that probably fits here:

Ah Strategic Air Command, what a great film from the glory days of aviation, I remember being of school one day as a kid sick and that was on the TV one afternoon on BBC2, loved every minute of it! Thanks for posting.

Archived