Global Flight legs 11-12 Scandinavia

ShawnG

Back at it, inching my way across the globe.  had to redo one of these flights due to FSX issues (a weird one,  locked up solid.  my FSX is usually stable, and even when it misbehaves it's usually a "fatal error" or OOM or CTD,  never really had a system lockup before)  and poor fsx ATC as well as my inherent laziness led to a nonstandard approach into Stockholm... but first...

I've been looking forward to this part of the trip. Scandinavia is an interesting place for me.  would love to visit, amazing landscape,  it's a land of cold, and they have moose there (they call them Elk, which we call something else, but to me it's a moose)  I've always been interested in the history of the Viking era, and it's the land of most of my wife's ancestors.  (and given the way the Norsemen had their way with Ireland and Scotland, probably some of mine)  I'm not totally wild about all the different varieties of preserved fish,  but in nearly every other way a visit to Norway, Sweden, and/or Finland is definitely on my life list.

In addition the first flight revisits some of my flightsim past,  which is why for leg 10, I abandoned the idea of flying into Oslo (even though AON's version of Gardemoen is fantastic) and flew north to Trondheim.  For about a year or two in the mid nineties, I flew out of Trondheim an absolute ton.  I am talking about the classic EF2000 sim of course.  I don't suppose anybody new to this scene would probably understand, but EF2000 was spectacular in it's day, and I spent a lot of time blasting through the Fjords tracking whatever mythical Russian Nationalist Enemy was invented for that sim.  Good times.

Leg 10 London to Trondheim

Hmm. London.  It's raining, go figure

OR5LY.jpg

6vR8N.jpg

Somewhere in central Norway

ERCHg.jpg

VXweM.jpg

5AqaZ.jpg

Leg 11  Trondheim to Stockholm (Bromma)

This is where I had the trouble, first the lock up, then Bromma's ATC cleared me for landing on runway 21, which on closer inspection turned out to have a large yellow X.  already being exasperated, and not being in a real plane, I just quickly executed a half hearted "combat approach" and landed on the available runway 30 without going around.  sometimes it's an advantage to fly the Spartan!  also good practice for the landing at kai tak I have planned if I ever get that far.

4muBj.jpg

WA57p.jpg

5GEv2.jpg

Passing ESSA

qGDZE.jpg

wj069.jpg

Fantastic shots Shawn , I really am enjoying your tour . I remember EF2000 very well , in fact here is a blast from the past :

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5rUXgZKXIg

Brad

Heh, EF2000 also was probably the first time i installed a mod for a game, too. I played the original Ef2000, then I got the win95 version they are selling in your vid. That version had USAF markings on all the Eurofighters, since I bought the game in the USA! I searched high and low to find a patch to skin to the original RAF version. That continues to this day, I don't like flying aircraft with registrations from places other than where I'm flying. I only tolerate my USA reg on these flights knowing I flew it here myself.

Archived