Turning off scenery regions

NoLonger

I am following a topic on a forum elsewhere in which someone says that turning off scenery where you don't actually fly improves the loading of textures.

I use FTXG and I was wondering that if I for instance disable all America, Asia and Africa sections in the Scenery library, if I will run into problems when flying in Europe: will I start missing textures or something like that? I have no clue how the entries in the Scenery library relate to the loading of ground textures and so on... I also noticed there are a few cities (Las Vegas, Rio) which probably come with my version of FSX. Any problem in deactivating them too...?

Well I have done it before. Back in the days I was flying tubeliners.

I disabled all Africa, Asia, Oceania and South America. I never saw improvements either in memory or in frame rates.  

Also never noticed missing textures in the areas I was flying around, although I was usually >= FL330 and looking at the NGX or A332 cockpit.

Edit: I must say that FSX load times were a bit faster.

If I remember correctly Luis Feliz Tirado had an excellent discussion about that and a diagram of how LOD radius settings affects what loads in your flight path. (quadrants?)

I guess FSX at least is smart enough to not load the other side of the globe from where I’m flying.

Cheers.

I guess FSX at least is smart enough to not load the other side of the globe from where I’m flying.

This is exactly why I wondered whether it would make any difference at all. Load times are understandable though.

Hi guys,

the default FSX scenery library is divided into global and regional/local entries meaning that deactivating any of the numbered or city entries won't have any negative effect on other areas. It won't make much if any difference though because the FSX terrain "engine" uses a pretty clever nested-grid system along with standardized file headers. If you run ProcessMonitor logs alongside FSX (with a filter to only include FSX.exe related file ops) it's easy to see which scenery files FSX touches when loading a flight situation; sometimes you'll notice a file from the other side of the globe in the list but usually it's only a quick file header access.

In terms of initial loading times (large photoreal sceneries aside) the biggest impact comes from one's collection of AI and flyable aircraft. I keep a separate "hangar" folder for my add-on aircraft in which I park their \SimObjects\ folders while not needed and that makes a noticeable difference.

Cheers, Holger

Hi guys,

the default FSX scenery library is divided into global and regional/local entries meaning that deactivating any of the numbered or city entries won't have any negative effect on other areas. It won't make much if any difference though because the FSX terrain "engine" uses a pretty clever nested-grid system along with standardized file headers. If you run ProcessMonitor logs alongside FSX (with a filter to only include FSX.exe related file ops) it's easy to see which scenery files FSX touches when loading a flight situation; sometimes you'll notice a file from the other side of the globe in the list but usually it's only a quick file header access.

In terms of initial loading times (large photoreal sceneries aside) the biggest impact comes from one's collection of AI and flyable aircraft. I keep a separate "hangar" folder for my add-on aircraft in which I park their \SimObjects\ folders while not needed and that makes a noticeable difference.

Cheers, Holger

Thank you for the explanation Holger. Am I correct in thinking that you have a separate folder for aircraft files that you don't wish to see in the selection screen? If so, that's a neat little idea.

Archived