Help - i forgot to set FTX to North America before updating the PNW patch

hlminx

I'm a complete idiot !

I've just bought PFJ and installed it fine including the patch from the support page.

Today, in my haste to add on KORS, I neglected to make sure that the FTX was set to North America before I ran the PNW patch 005.. when I went back to FTX, it was set to Default FSX.

What do I do ?  How do I know if I've managed to mess things up entirely ? Have I ?

I can do a system restore to take the PC back to when I added on PFJ yesterday, but not sure what else I have managed to mess up in the process...also, my experience of System Restore Is that it still leaves files where they were and deletes the program (and sometimes not too efficiently either !)

Can someone please let me know the best course of action ?

Many thanks

Steph

Hi Wolter

Thanks for the reply. I will try that and see what happens.

Do you have any idea what happens when the rules about setting it to North Ameirica first arent followed?

I dont have a clue what gets messed up so im not sure how i can tell whether ive really messed it up.

Hopefully its not as serious a faux pas as im dreading. . .

Thanks again. Will update the post when ive run the updates again

Cheers

Steph

The FTXG setup will set default for you.

Cheers

jja

Hiya

Thanks for the reply. the instructions with the PNW patch 0005 have a big red cross and a not saying FTX must be set to North America before running the patch. Thats what I forgot to do after I installed KORS.. if it sets FTX back to the default won't that have now messed up some setting in Default scenery rather than the intended files?

I'm still not quite sure why FTX has to be set to NA if having it set wrong makes no difference.

Any thoughts?

Thanks again

Steph

• 2 weeks later...

Final update on this one (sorry, been away for the last week). Ran the patch installer again but couldnt tell for certain if everything was correct. I then started getting some odd looking terrain where the landscape looked less 'crisp', and then has 2 CTDs which ive never had. Im pretty sure that the Orbx software isnt the cause but to be safe ive taken the pc back to a point before i added Pacific Fjords and Orcas Island. I'll make sure i set everything right this time.

Ok to close this post. Thanks again for your help.

Have a great weekend :)

Creating a little tool which can repair FTX scenery core files might be helpfull - a kind of 'FTXDoctor' .

Before I installed FTX Global I had messed up files like AutogenDescriptions.spb, lclookup.bgl, terrain.cfg and others several times because non-ORBX addons overwroted them. Some addons use to change files without being noticed by the user, as we all know. However, often it occurred especially to me due to my own clumsiness. Yesterday for example I installed the Africa landclass from SceneryTech and could avoid to allow the installer to overwrite the lclookup.bgl only in the very last second. If I didn't had unchecked the agree-box, the only solution would have been to reinstall FTXGlobal, as already suggested here.
A little tool like the ORBX core installer could reinstall only the relevant files - instead of reinstalling the whole data - to reset the FTXGlobal configuration, e.g.

lclookup.bgl
terrain.cfg
default.xml
AutogenDescriptions.spb
RoofDescriptions.spb
(I don't know which else)

Also this tool could rearrange the internal FTX hierarchy whenever there happen accidents as described in this topic.

(some day I might give the SceneyTech lclookup.bgl a chance anyway - or I'll wait for a seperate LC - because there are taiga coniferes in Namibia now in FTXGlobal :D )

Frank

Archived