Well, I tried one more time.....

birdguy

After reading all the replies on my 'Saying Goodbye' thread I decided to try one more time. 

I began with a clean, bare, 500GB SSD; my 'D' Drive.

I installed FSX and Acceleration without any problems.

I decided this time around I would install a region and then it's patch(s) and then all the airports associated with that region.  Then check it all out and see if everything was running before adding the second region and it's airports.

I didn't even get to first base before I struck out.  Mind you there is NOTHING on the drive but FSX and Acceleration.

No addons, No mesh, NOTHING!  PNW was the VERY FIRST thing I tired to install on a bare system.

I installed PNW.  When it finished installing FTX Central came up.  I clicked on North America and got my very first error message.

FTX Central

Unhandled exception has occurred in your application.  If you click Coninue, the application will ignore this error and attmpt to continue.  If you click Quit the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue.  If you click Quit, the application will close immediately.

Could not find a part of the path 'D:\Microsoft Flight

Details                                      Coninue   Quit

When I click on details the following came up.  It's all Greek to me.

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path 'D:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\ORBX\Scripts\Backup\default.xml'.
   at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
   at System.IO.File.InternalCopy(String sourceFileName, String destFileName, Boolean overwrite)
   at System.IO.File.Copy(String sourceFileName, String destFileName, Boolean overwrite)
   at FTXCentral.FTX_Environment.CopyBuildRestoreBat()
   at FTXCentral.FTX_Environment.ApplyRegionChanges()
   at FTXCentral.FTXC.Apply()
   at FTXCentral.FTXC.lblApplyButton_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Label.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5472 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
FTXCentral
    Assembly Version: 1.0.2.8
    Win32 Version: 1.0.2.8
    CodeBase: file:///D:/Microsoft%20Flight%20Simulator%20X/ORBX/Scripts/FTXCentral/FTXCentral.exe
Microsoft.VisualBasic
    Assembly Version: 8.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 8.0.50727.5420 (Win7SP1.050727-5400)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
System.Windows.Forms
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5468 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5467 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
Accessibility
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4927 (NetFXspW7.050727-4900)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Accessibility.dll
System.Runtime.Remoting
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5420 (Win7SP1.050727-5400)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll
System.Configuration
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5473 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Xml
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5473 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
xe9oypug
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Core
    Assembly Version: 3.5.0.0
    Win32 Version: 3.5.30729.5420 built by: Win7SP1
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/3.5.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
98b68xso

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled

will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

I don't really need to keep torturing myself with these FSX/Orbx aggravations.  I'll keep what I have and continue if the fix is VERY SIMPLE.  But I'm not going to keep jumping through multiple hoops for FSX and Orbx.  I don't have that much time left on the planet before I have to return to the Gamma Quadrant.

Noel

Dell XPS8500
Intel®Core™i7-3770 CPU@3.40GHZ
Windows7 64bit
Gigabyte NVidia GEFORCE GTX650 w/2GB RAM

Thanks Holger.  Installing the libraries was going to be my next logical step.  I did it and it's fixed.  Orbx AI files will be last.

I'm going to quit installing for a while after I have PNW, PFJ, and SAK installed along with Tongass Fjords and Vancouver and RTMM.  I'll see how things run from there.

If, after a couple weeks no fault running I'll re-install NRM and CRM, although I'm reluctant to add sceneries anymore 'just to have them'.  And I'm definitely going to stay away from non-Orbx sceneries except for what I mentioned above..

Noel

jhuntphx...

Your statement puzzles me. You infer that there is a certain 'order' in which Orbx sceneries should be installed. That's all well and good if you already have them all.

But what about those of us who purchase them piecemeal? Just as an example: If I purchase PFJ and install it and later purchase PNW, which I might have had to install first, do I have to uninstall PFJ, install PNW, and then re-install PFJ? (I realize that might not be the order of installation but I'm just using those two as an example.)

What about the airports? Obviously they are installed after the regions they are located in are installed, but do they have a specific install order too?

I would hate to think I just purchased an airport that should have been installed before some of the airports I already have installed.

It would seem to me that if there is no special order to purchase Orbx products then there should not be a special order for installing them.

Noel

Nah... Not ORBX sceneries, but FSX itself. (Order of install from dvd, Acceleration... etc)

If your not having problems just after install then it's just a waste of time...  but sometimes if FSX is not installed in a certain order then it can cause all sorts of headaches, performance issues and errors. (Install sp1.. load flight.. then reboot before installing sp2.. etc)

Best to just listen to Holger.

Hi Noel,

glad I could help. Good plan setting a goal and then enjoying that once reached; sometimes less is more and the "pack rat" and "tweaker" in us can get in the way of the fun it's all supposed to be.

Cheers, Holger

Most definitely agree - I've learned the hard way.   Howard

Hi Noel.

Ive tryed to recall how i install ORBx.

Before i begin a new install of Regions and Airports i go to the ORBx Support Side and download the newest Patches and Library.

For Region and patch/es & Library:

If the Region is the first in that part of the World, for You, you must make sure that FTX Central is set to "Default FSX", before installing the Region.

If You already have a Region in that part of the World. Set FTX Central to: The right part of the World (the right one for You) and close FTXC. Then install: The Region, then open FTXC again, and make sure that it is set to Oceania/NorthAmerica/Europe (the right one for You) . then install, The first patch, then back to FTXC and make sure it is set to the right Part of the World and install the next Patch.Then install the last/newest Library, from ORBx Support side.

Then(if you have) Airport/s and patch/es & Library:

First set FTX central to Oceania/Europe/NorthAmerica (Again, the right one for You).

Then install the first Airport. The procedure for patches is the same as for The Regions.

The last thing to do, before Flying is always, always to install the Newest Library.

The thing is that many/all Regions and Airports come with, the "NEWEST Library, at the time, when the Reg/Airp was Released,  and will install and overwhrite Your Newest/latest instaled Library >:(

I hope i get it right :mellow:

And congrats with Your plan. 8)

Kind regards

Henrik 

jhuntphx, I am still confused. In what order should FSX be installed?

I'm starting with a bare SSD.

I put in disk 1 of Flight Simulator FSX Deluxe Edition.

After a short time it tells me to insert disk2.

Then FSX starts up and asks me to enter the product key.

When that is done and I shut FSX down I put in the Acceleration disk.

It runs and starts FSX.

It asks me to enter the product key.

What other order is there? Am I missing something here?

Noel

That's basically what I did Henrik.

I have all of my Orbx installation files backed up on an external HD.

Before I started the installation I made sure I had all the latest patches and updates.

Then I organized the installation files to make it easier to install them.

Take PFJ for instance.

I have a folder named Pacific Fjords

In that folder I have two subfolders, one named OrbxFTNABluePFJ100 and one named OrbxFTNABluePFJPatch003.

These folders contain the installation files and the patch files respectively.

I have another subfolder under Pacific Fjords called Airports.

The Airports folder has a subfolder for each airport for PFJ.

They are named Bella Coola (CYBD), Ketchikan (PAKT), and Stewart (CZST)

Those folders hold the installation and patch files (if any) for those airports.

This makes it easy for me to reinstall a region and it's airports without having to do a lot of searching.

Noel

Exactement my frind, thats what i should have done when i first purcased an ORBx product.

Now i have the hole shebang (lot of work though) as you say (also for Planes, Traffic etc) and with a P3D in the end of the line, if it is.. so i know whats in the folder.

I also have to say that its very confusing in the beginning to figure the procedure when installing. I looked at the "Quick install guide" for NRM again and 

i honestly think that it could have been a bit more cleared explained, other than "and you are ready to fly", i mean something is missing there.

Btw. Also, i make a onenote folder with install FSS# Date & key (copy&paste) from the email, from FSS.and have it with the Zip & upd. So its easy to copy&paste when installing if necssary.

Kind regards

Henrik

Well, it's done!

This morning I finished installing PNW, PFJ, and SAK as well as all the Orbx addon airports I have for those regions. Also added Tongass Fjords X, put it at the bottom of the scenery library addons and set the Orbx insertion point at Tongass_Fjords_Higher_Priority.

Checked out the possible problem areas. The train at Skagway is sitting on the ground at the terminal, the village of Petersburg is not in the water, and there are no forest areas surrounding Sitka.

When I've reached an appropriate comfort level after flying around for a while I'll add NRM, CRM, RTMM, Vancouver X and Aerosoft Anchorage.

I don't think I'll be adding anything outside North America for quite a while and definitely no mesh or UTX since I won't be flying outside Orbx regions. Maybe in a few months, if all goes well, I'll add Oceania and Europe.

Noel

Its really quite simple, but if your install is fine then just don't waste your time. I ran into problems once after an install.. Maul gauges were invisible, and some other strange issues, because Acceleration did not install correctly on the first go.

Here are the steps..

but i stress.. if your install went fine then do not worry about it. YOU DO NOT NEED THIS. I do not want to spread useless information you do not need in the first place.. I simply thought this may have been your issue.. but turns out i was utterly wrong...

1. Install SP1 first

2. Load into a flight (builds necessary files)

3. Reboot Machine (a necessary but forgotten step)

4. Repeat the above when installing Acceleration....

That's it...

I didn't bother with SP1. When I went to download it from the Microsoft website it said:

IMPORTANT: If you have already installed the�Flight Simulator X: Acceleration expansion pack,�do not�install Service Pack 1. (verbatim)

Since I was planning to install Acceleration immediately after installing FSX I didn't bother with it.

Noel

Archived