SAK doesn't work anymore...

Mallard

Dear Team,

I've been jumping around some regions in the last few days - but SAK suddenly has stopped working. Every time I choose an airport from that region FSX crashes. The error log shows terrain.dll and sim1.dll as the problems.

If I select an airport from outside of the region (default Fairbanks or PFJ Ketchikan) things load normaly. Switching to default FSX also brings around the crash when I then want (for example) Juneau or Anchorage as the airport of departure.

It's been a while since I flew in SAK and I tried to think of what I've installed in the meantime. Not much, actually. The only recent scenery was Broome and Scotland, the only payware planes the Majestic Dash and the Aerosoft Twotter. No freeware planes and not much in the way of new livreys.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling SAK, did the same for Scotland and the Twotter and used the "repair" function of Accelleration as well.

I then tried moving SAK to a more prominent position in the FSX scenery library (it currently is below Australia, England, Scotland, Wales, PFJ and PNW, but above NZNI and SI) - without success. Then I tried the same thing using FTX Central. Didn't get it to stick "higher up", but when I then loaded up Valdez everything was back to normal and I was perched on the runway. Now - stupidly - instead of giving it a test flight then and there I thought I'd change right away to Juneau. Which led to the crash again. And since then I have had no success in recreating this scenario where I at least could load Valdez again.

Now I've run out of ideas... Any help would be appreciated!

Cheers

Mallard

PS - all other regions work without the slightest problems at all...

Hi Mallard,

that's a tricky one. First thing I'd do is temporarily uncheck all other third-party scenery library entries, including the default "Addon Scenery", to rule out some compatibility issue. Also, try switching FTX Central to Default to cross-check that the issue is indeed related to SAK.

Cheers, Holger

Hi Holger,

thanks for the suggestion. Tried it with almost all options unchecked with and without FTX - but it crashed again on both choices when I loaded up at Juneau and Anchorage...

To check the area I then loaded a flight from Whitehorse default. And that worked. Fired up FTX central, set it to North America and reloaded. That worked as well. Then I slewed southwards toward Juneau, and about half way FSX crashed again.

Loaded the FTX-version of Whitehorse and then changed to Valdez. That worked. Everything back to normal there. Changed the airport to Juneau - and crash. Checked the BGL files and found a PAJN from Traffic X. Switched that to OFF and reloaded directly to Juneau. Crash.

I'm stumped...

Cheers

Mallard

Just tried a "normal" flight - not a slewed one - from Valdez (which suddenly seems to be loading normally again) to Anchorage. Got to about 50 kms west of the airport before the sim CTD'd again with sim1.dll in the error log file.

I wanted to check this out because I found out that Traffic X had set itself back to North America and I was wondering if that (or rather its BGL files) might be causing the problems. So I deactivated North America completely. No idea why all regions were checked - I always make sure that there should be no conflict with the AI traffic you provide (Australia was also activated, and I certainly unchecked that after I installed the program). But it seems that that probably was not the problem-solver... And all the other regions where potential conflicts could arise were behaving normaly anyway.

Cheers

Mallard

Hi Mallard,

well, if the crashes happen with FTX set to Default then the issue has to be more general for that area. I still think it most likely some conflicting airport bgl file(s), which doesn't necessarily have to be PAJN or PANC as there are plenty of other airports in the vicinity. Not an easy problem to track down, which is why I'd first deactivate all local third-party add-ons, including setting FTX Central to Default and then re-activate each one in turn, probably starting with FTX. Note that there can be third-party bgl files "hiding" in \Scenery\World\scenery or \Addon Scenery\scenery; default FSX files are no younger than 2007.

Also, perhaps run Google searches for the modules along with FSX and Anchorage or Juneau as search terms. And cross-check the three SAK compatibility threads in our Compatibility subforum. Last but not least reduce some of your display settings and turn off all AI to rule out local memory overloads or corrupt AI traffic files.

Cheers, Holger

Hi Holger,

thanks a lot for the suggestions. Will definately give them a try. In the meantime I have also googled the two terms and see that they can have countless causes.

I guess you can flag the thread as "solved" as it does not appear to be a direct SAK issue.

Cheers

Mallard

Archived