FSX: Black squares, sometimes blue (water-like), wonder-woman planes

alexf

Sometimes I get these. I assume it to be an issue with memory even though I have more than plenty. This is not all the time. I would expect, if there is a memory leak that it would start to happen after having been flying for a while, but strangely sometimes I get it right after starting. Yesterday it happen at Coffs Harbour.

Where should I look for a fix? Is it shaders? Bufferpools? I can supply settings if needed.

Does not happen that often so it is not an immediate problem. This post is mainly seeking for an explanation so I can understand the phenomenon and why it happens.

Black squares: tiles missing in textures I would guess because it is choking and has trouble rendering. They disappear and reappear at random, generally nearby.

Blue squares: More rare. Never happens together with the black square phenomenon. Huge areas of blue textures on land, looking much like flooded areas, where you can see the trees come through. This happens sometimes on flat land, and on mountains

Wonder-woman invisible planes (and trucks). Sometimes portions of AI planes and static trucks (lorries?) show only the body and no wings, or the wheels and no body.

Sometimes, If I switch to a new aircraft while on the ground, my own aircraft becomes half-invisible. I stopped doing that and now always restart when I want a new aircraft.

I believe all them to be manifestations of the same issue, mainly memory-related. Am I right?

Hey Alex, I have been experiencing the very same thing over the past few months. It's all very odd, as I never used to see this issue. Skeleton aircraft when changing views, momentarily textures tiles missing as they load after changing a vew, more often than not over water. As I said, very mysterious, as I never used to have this problem and don't undertsand what has changed to affect things.

Hey Alex, I have been experiencing the very same thing over the past few months. It's all very odd, as I never used to see this issue. Skeleton aircraft when changing views, momentarily textures tiles missing as they load after changing a vew, more often than not over water. As I said, very mysterious, as I never used to have this problem and don't undertsand what has changed to affect things.

Hello Howard!

Regarding the skeleton airplanes:

Try adding the follwoing line to Your [GRAPHICS] section within the fsx.cfg file:

HIGHMEMFIX=1

This fix (line) will not cuase You any trouble and has no negative side effects - on the other hand though i can assure You, that Your skeleton planes will belong to the past once this line is set in the fsx.cfg!

One of the few very, very reliable tweaks!

Cheers, Christoph

Hello Alex!

Regarding the black squares ... well i do not know either where they come from - so i sadly can really help You with Your request reagrding an explanation ... maybe some of the more technical advanced people here though can tell us something substential about this phenomenon - i'd also highly appreciate and welcome any info!

One thing though, as You have mentioned it:

[...] I assume it to be an issue with memory even though I have more than plenty [...]

The sad thing is that FSX due to its 32bit limitation can not use more than 3-4 GB virtual memory or virtual adress space (if these are the correct terms in use here). 

This thread here in the forums is very informative regarding memory and FSX:

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/60390-out-of-available-memory-crashes/

It's a pretty long thread but post #3 from top down there for instance (just to mention one) offers a lot reagrding memory and FSX.

... at least one little part of a - possibel - explanation!

Cheers, Christoph

Hello Howard!

Regarding the skeleton airplanes:

Try adding the follwoing line to Your [GRAPHICS] section within the fsx.cfg file:

HIGHMEMFIX=1

Hi Christoph, thanks for the help, but the Highmemfix has been in my cfg from day one! I will continue with some further testing, cheers.

Hi Christoph, thanks for the help, but the Highmemfix has been in my cfg from day one! I will continue with some further testing, cheers.

Hi Howard!

...hmmm - that's weird indeed then.

Very sad to read this my friend!

Really hope You will find a proper and reliable solution for this issue as soon as possible!

Cheers, Christoph

Hi Howard!

...hmmm - that's weird indeed then.

Very sad to read this my friend!

Really hope You will find a proper and reliable solution for this issue as soon as possible!

Cheers, Christoph

I'm doing some more intense testing as I type, cheers matey.

Did you try this parameter? TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=40

Spirit

Hiya, sure, I'm trying some different values of this tweak and seeing how I get on

Those black/blue squares are the Langoliers doing there job but they keep catching up to real time.

I also get the black/blue squares but i tend to ignore them as i dont get them that often.

Hi,

In my case I sort of fixed it. I agree with Kulbit on the link provided by Moonman, that its a case of high definition textures messing with memory in simple words.
All I did to my .cfg was add the video overide value that maches my Zotac GTX and added these values:

[TERRAIN]
TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES_PER_CELL=2000
TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS_PER_CELL=1750

As did the original poster on the link provided by Moonman.

Note: My .cfg is tweaked as per Rotation Films (Steve) see YouTube.

Then I lowerd some of the values on FSX as follows...

- Level of detail radius: Medium
- Mesh complexity: 90
- Mesh resolution: 5m
- Texture resolution: 15cm
- Water effects: High 2.x
- Scenery complexity: Extremly dense
- Autogen: Extremly dense

- Traffic: is all set at 15%

My first test are with a Carenado CT182 HD which did not do to well and which brought me to the above conclusión. I then swaped it for my loving Realair Turbine Duke and my Aerosoft Airbus 320 Extended. Both AC´s did great with 30< FPS at 800ft at FSDT CYVR (PNW) and no black tiles on ground as before. Same on CEF4 and it´s surroundings with the Duke. They both flew smooth on both airports. I didn´t bother to try in England with UK2000´s Heathrow as I think that CYVR is alot more demanding (CYVR was set to max.). No test are done at night, but I figure they will do ok. On both test I ran REX Essentials + Overdrive together with the Opus engine. My rig is a i5 3570k with 8GB at1866 G. Skills Sniper and a Zotac GTX 660 2GB, dedicated HD for FSX, W7x64. No OC done at all on a Gigabyte MB.

Well aim a happy camper for now, let´s see how long it last that way! :D

I guess we all tend to max out everything when things go well, but as Kolbit says, the more you add the easier it is to OOM.

Thank you all, and a big thank you to Moonman for the link and info, very kind of you!

Best regards,

Mike

PD.: Rotation Films...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIok5HeTaVZBd--OjYVqLwQ

I already had (for a long time):

HIGHMEMFIX=1

TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=40

I added:

TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES_PER_CELL=2000
TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS_PER_CELL=1750

Will see if anything changes.

Thanks.

Make a "saved" flight of a problem area.

Check Texture_Max_Load= to see if it's at 4096 for some reason, try 1024 if it is. I use REX textures except for clouds (FEX) with Opus weather and change them quarterly to coincide with seasonal changes. Any bump to 4096 kills my perf every time.

Make a fresh cfg after backing up the current one. Run FSX and see if the problem persists. (You can also copy and paste all the Trusted entries from the backup to the new cfg if you don't want to go through all the Trusted screens again)

Add back your tweeks one at a time leaving affinity mask and bufferpools for last.

Restart FSX after each tweek is added and check the "saved" flight to see if the problem persists.

Make sure Windows Update didn't sneak a driver update to your video card. (I keep WU on Manual.)

Less is more. Keep it simple.

Archived