fsx default terrain dll ctd

sleightflight

Hi everyone , is there a way to repair the default terrain on fsx , when ftx central is set to a ftx area fsx loads & works fine but when its on default it liads to 69% then crashes to desktop , when you click the box that comes up , windows asking to search for solution or close the program it lists terrain.dll as the faulting module ,

I have un ticked all other add on scenery in the scenery settings so it must be default stuff thats crashing the program , I have tried running a repair with the fsx gold disks & that didn't solve the problem. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

I might be wrong, but as far as I know FTX Central only switches between the default and the FTX scenery.cfg. Terrain.cfg is NOT altered at all by FTX Central. Something else must be wrong here. If the terrain.dll i corrupted then you shold have a CTD also with FTX Central set to other areas than default.

Another thing that strikes me is that you say that FSX stops at 69% loading, how do you know that? There is NO meter showing FSX loading, ONLY meters showing that FSX is creating a new scenery file and creating a scenery index file.

My suggestion is to open FTX Central, choose default, choose Tools, go to the bottom and Flush Scenery Indexes, that will make FSX build new indexes next time you start it.

I say it crashes at 69% as when you click fly now the screen goes black & you get a loading bar in the middle at when it hits 69% it crashes. I will try flushing the sceney indexes as you suggested though, I suspect something has got damaged in the default terrain folder.

PLEASE JV, can you tell me IF FTX Central alters terrain.cfg EVERY time I switch from default to any FTX region and back again!? I know that terrain.cfg is altered every time I add a new FTX-scenery.

I have compared my terrain.cfg with FTX Central set to Default, Europe, Oceania and North America but my tgerrain.cfg looks exactly the same in every case! The only thing that changes is the time stamp of the file, witch tells me that FTX Central at least reads and saves the file every time I start it regardless if I change region or not!

Would appreciate an explanation here.

Jack

the Swede in Spain

Archived