fragmentation

teecee

I use the latest version of JKDefrag..  works a treat, but I am wondering why FSX fragments my HD so badly? I have a huge HD, plenty of spare space.

I clean the registry, and defrag every day, and it takes 45 minutes to an hour to defrag.. after running the sim for a couple of hours the hard drive is shredded! is there anything that I can do to reduce this fragmentation? Teecee.

I use the latest version of JKDefrag..  works a treat, but I am wondering why FSX fragments my HD so badly? I have a huge HD, plenty of spare space.

I clean the registry, and defrag every day, and it takes 45 minutes to an hour to defrag.. after running the sim for a couple of hours the hard drive is shredded! is there anything that I can do to reduce this fragmentation? Teecee.

I'd say that something is very wrong, either with your system or with the JKDefrag, which I've never heard of.  I googled and found this thread on some forum. A bit down you'll find a post about JKDefrag not defragmenting a disk depending on optimization method.

http://forum.piriform.com/lofiversion/index.php/t15870.html

I've used PerfectDisk for several year now. I've tried O&O. I've never ever have experienced that my FSX disk got more fragmented by only flying FSX.

Ulf B

Just guessing here, but maybe your FSX install is mixed up with other variable data such as your page file ?? which could possibly change as you fly causing this fragmentation. FSX is always works best on it's own drive, where things cannot interfere with it. You could try the O&O trial and do a complete/name defrag, which may separate it from anything else.

I keep FSX on it's own drive and only suffer minor fragmentation if I add anything, such as another AU region, or swap out some textures - other than that it never changes.

Mark, your'e right about running FSX from your system disk. I forgot to mention that i run FSX from a separate disk. I might also add the use of Internet Explorer while flying will create fragmentation fast due to all temporary files created by IE, but this won't cause any fragmentation of the FSX files.

Ulf B

You should have your page file at 1.5 times your physical memory up to a maximum of 4096 Mb and you MUST either delete this page file periodically and allow the machine to rebuild it or defrag it regularly,  www.sysinternals.com has a pagefile defraging tool so you can use this too.

Teecee

Go to windows explorer and right click all your hard drives and select properties

Down the bottom untick "allow indexing services to index this disk for fast file searching"

Select "apply changes to sub folders and files" when prompted

It will now remove all indexing on all files plus not index any new or moved files in the future hence speed up drive read/write and general responsiveness. Ignore any errors that show as this occurs because some files are in use/protected and can't be changed to remove indexing during this step.

Now go to start/control panel and if you haven't all ready done this up the top left click the button "switch to classic view". Now double click the "administrative tools" and in the list select "services".

Scroll down too you find "Indexing service" and right click it selecting "properties". On the window that pops up on the "general" tab in the middle where it says "start-up types" in the drop down arrow select "disable" apply/ok

Now for your virtual memory settings go to control panel/system/advanced/performance/settings/advanced/virtual memory and click the change button.

Now you need to clear the page file by selecting the hard drive where your OS sits and select "no page file" option followed by clicking the set button. Now re-boot your PC upon reboot go back to where you where and again select the hard drive where your OS is then place a bullet in "Custom size" and in the "initial size/maximum size" place 2048 in both followed by clicking set. Job complete

If you have other hard drives that can be partitioned off let us know and I will tell you how to place a page file on another hard drive for even better performance.

OKaaaay.. well guys, you gave me the info I was looking for.. and scared the crap out of me in the process.. firstly.. to Mozza.. thanks mate, got the defragger and ran it.. so I know that the page file is ok, and having said this, I have to say that since putting in JKDEFRAG, I had forgotten to run chkdsk occasionally, as my previous defragger had an option to do this, and I did it about once every couple of weeks.

now to you Skorp.. thanks for the detailed instructions, and I will get them done, but not by me.. turning a seventy year old loose in a computers OS is dangerous at the best of times.. so here is what I am doing.. I have a stepson that is a programmer, and when he comes over next i will get him to set things up.. will keep you posted on the outcome.. and thanks again fellas.. Teecee.

Dunno mate I've not done much with Vista thus far but I can test it on my ol ladies Lappy and let you know. The Page file defrag works in whats called Caldera DOS from memory and this is done before even loading the OS whether it be XP Pro or Vista so I'd think that pagedefrag would work in Vista. You could email Mark and ask him as he's a nice chap from my dealings .

In the mean time got to your system Tab and actually delete (terminate the Pagefile) and reboot,  then reset it and reboot. This has the same overal effect of a Pagefile defrag at boot.

I do this once a week anyway as the systems are on 24/7 they don't get the pagefile defragged as such.

Archived