Lake Hood Incorrect Elevation

birdguy

There is a discrepancy at Anchorage in SAK.  Stevens - Anchorage International Airport is at the correct elevation of 152 feet but Lake Hood and the Lake Hood Airstrip are also at an elevation of 152 feet.  Lake Hood Airstrip is suposed be at an elevation of only 73 feet.

I noticed this while trying to set up a startup flight for the Goose at Lake Hood.

With the great pains Orbx took to make the multi-level airport at Ketchikan this one should have been quite easy; especially given the fact there are two FS2004 Lake Hood freeware sceneries that have correct elevations for Lake Hood.

Is this going to be corrected at a later date?

Noel

Hi Noel,

I'll move this to the support section and flag it so the situation can be reviewed. 

That being said, Ketchikan is an entirely different beast in terms of multi-elevation than Anchorage - Lake Hood. Ketchikan was done as a complete custom 3D model whereas Anchorage and Lake Hood sit on typical FSX ground terrain. Aerosoft's Anchorage includes Lake Hood and may feature the elevation differences but I don't own it so I may be wrong. 

Regards,

Alex

Hi Noel,

Alex is correct in that it is the Areosoft PANC add-on that forced us to set Lake Hood at the same elevation as PANC (their moving cars and railroad apparently require a single large platform across the entire area). I would have preferred to have different altitudes but allowing for compatibility with the PANC add-on required extensive modifications to the local terrain and it's not feasible to manage two different versions of SAK.

Cheers, Holger

Hi Noel,

1. We don't have any way of determining that. However, we've had numerous questions regarding PANC compatibility prior to the release of SAK and thus couldn't just ignore it. Moreover, I'd think that anyone interested in flying in the Anchorage region would take a close look at this add-on, especially since it covers both the main airport and Lake Hood SPB.

2. If you know how to work with ADE you can experiment with lowering the Lake Hood area via flattens though I suspect those flattens/alterations would fight with ours for display priority. In any case the >70ft elevation step between the airport and seaplane base would lead to rather unrealistic elevation steps. Also, there's an airstrip right next to LHD (Z41) that would need to be altered as well.

It's unfortunate that the PANC developers used the default 152ft altitude for their main flatten because that's much too high for most of the real-world airport terrain. If you look at the runway end point altitudes listed at http://www.airnav.com/airport/PANC you'll see that the values range from 100ft to 151ft and most of the airport terminal area sits at less than 100ft.

Anyway, as mentioned above there's nothing we can do about this unless the PANC developers decide to update/alter their add-on, which is highly unlikely.

Cheers, Holger

I found an FSX enhancement for Lake Hood (fsxlakehood_lhd.zip by Daniel Kemmer) at Flightsim.com that puts docks, buildings and static seaplanes on the lake.  The elevation is still 152ft by I'll learn to live with that.

Noel

Archived