Simconnect FSMAP

Ja50n01

HI all

Been trying to use my secondary machine to run FSMAP(Aerosoft) and Until Rex is released Active Sky X and GraphicsX through Simconnect.

-I've sorted Static Ip's and firewalls setting's :-X

-Follewed the confusing instructions ::)

-Tested it and it wont work  ;D

I have noticed that I need to share the APPdata\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX file which I have not done yet and I hope that will fix it, but does anybody know a good tutorial or Web link that could help get me sorted.

My aim is to have TCAS and Moving Map and Weather system on spare machine linked to my FSX machine(freeing up valuable resources for FSX)

Thanks in advance for any help and advice,

Have a nice weekend everyone, Blue's Skies and all that  ;D;)

Jason

I might make myself unpopular but I've yet to see any significant increase in performance by doing what you are wanting to do.  I'm a GA junkie so TCAS and other things like it aren't a priority for me.

To be honest I think you might be better off running these things in another monitor, I know a couple of chaps in Sydney that thought as you, and that another PC running these applications was the way to go. Unfortunately in their situation the data going back and forth to the second PC actually interfered with Multiplayer flying until they added second ethernet cards to handle this data and even then things slowed at times.

There are so many map reading instruments that run internally in the SIM and aircraft that it almost seems a waste of resources.

Every one has different ideas though and I can't fault you for that. 

Oh you aren't the first and certainly won't be the last to have major issues with simconnect.dll either.

Jason,

I finally got FsWidgets to run under SimConnect and FsMap will be no different.

FsWidgets runs on a spare laptop over a CAT5 100Mb/s network.

If you use the same SimConnect settings you should be ok.

Make sure you start FSX first and then FsMap so it can hook into FSX

I tried FsMap and although it worked with SimConnect, I couldn't get the free maps I list in the link below to calibrate properly, although they do for FsWidgets.

Go to http://orbxsystems.com/forums/index.php?topic=3631.0  to see how I did it.

I might make myself unpopular but I've yet to see any significant increase in performance by doing what you are wanting to do.  I'm a GA junkie so TCAS and other things like it aren't a priority for me.

To be honest I think you might be better off running these things in another monitor, I know a couple of chaps in Sydney that thought as you, and that another PC running these applications was the way to go. Unfortunately in their situation the data going back and forth to the second PC actually interfered with Multiplayer flying until they added second ethernet cards to handle this data and even then things slowed at times.

There are so many map reading instruments that run internally in the SIM and aircraft that it almost seems a waste of resources.

Every one has different ideas though and I can't fault you for that.   

Oh you aren't the first and certainly won't be the last to have major issues with simconnect.dll either.

Hi Maurice,

I respect any opinions to be fair mate, I'd rather someone say don't waste your time due to other possible issues than to not even comment and let me dig a massive hole for myself.

But I am still looking to give it a go and see for myself, But you have got my mind racing now as i didn't think the network traffic would be an issue, Thanks again Maurice.

Jason

Jason,

I finally got FsWidgets to run under SimConnect and FsMap will be no different.

FsWidgets runs on a spare laptop over a CAT5 100Mb/s network.

If you use the same SimConnect settings you should be ok.

Make sure you start FSX first and then FsMap so it can hook into FSX

I tried FsMap and although it worked with SimConnect, I couldn't get the free maps I list in the link below to calibrate properly, although they do for FsWidgets.

Go to http://orbxsystems.com/forums/index.php?topic=3631.0  to see how I did it.

Hi Benny

FSWIDGETS - Never seen this will google it, Thanks for all the advice will keep trying and see if i get any success.

Thanks for the advice, Been away for the weekend but i have a few hours spare this week so I am going to attempt it again and start from scratch as the instructions with  FSmap are a little confusing at times.

I am still after a Tutorial if anyone knows where i can find one

Thanks

Jason

Sorry Jason, I should have explained further - FsMap comes from the FsWidgets website..

The FsWidgets site is here:  http://fswidgets.com/shop/

Look on the left hand side and go to the downloads page. There you will see some freebies to download, including FsMap.

FsMap allows you to use Google Maps in a moving map display.

I also have the Electronic Flight Bag (payware) which allows me to use real aviation VNC maps in a moving map display.

My previous link shows where to go to download the Australian maps and at FsWidgets you can get the free MapCreator program to calibrate them for FsWidgets.

The FsWidgets packages come with zoom and place an aircraft symbol in the centre of the screen and move the map.

You can also call up TAC charts and any pfd document you want - including checklists, handbooks, etc. Check them out.

My setup has a dual output 800GT video card with FsMoving Maps on one display, a TH2Go on the other with 3 screens and a spare laptop running SimConnect for FsWidgets Electronic Flight Bag on one side of the display and FsMap running Google Earth on the other (each look like  a PDA). Absolutely brilliant.

Just follow the instructions at my previous post for how to setup SimConnect for FsMap.

ps. My Maternal Grandfather was Thomas Henry Penberthy who lived in Aberthaw in Wales on the Bristol Channel opposite Weston-Super-Mare.

Sorry Jason, I should have explained further - FsMap comes from the FsWidgets website..

The FsWidgets site is here:  http://fswidgets.com/shop/

Look on the left hand side and go to the downloads page. There you will see some freebies to download, including FsMap.

FsMap allows you to use Google Maps in a moving map display.

I also have the Electronic Flight Bag (payware) which allows me to use real aviation VNC maps in a moving map display.

My previous link shows where to go to download the Australian maps and at FsWidgets you can get the free MapCreator program to calibrate them for FsWidgets.

The FsWidgets packages come with zoom and place an aircraft symbol in the centre of the screen and move the map.

You can also call up TAC charts and any pfd document you want - including checklists, handbooks, etc. Check them out.

My setup has a dual output 800GT video card with FsMoving Maps on one display, a TH2Go on the other with 3 screens and a spare laptop running SimConnect for FsWidgets Electronic Flight Bag on one side of the display and FsMap running Google Earth on the other (each look like  a PDA). Absolutely brilliant.

Just follow the instructions at my previous post for how to setup SimConnect for FsMap.

ps. My Maternal Grandfather was Thomas Henry Penberthy who lived in Aberthaw in Wales on the Bristol Channel opposite Weston-Super-Mare.

Hey Benny, Thanks for that my Credit Card is going to love you, Those Widgets look superb. I missed your original post link, will try it out this weekend when i have some time, I will report back on whether i succeeded.

I Live in Bridgend which is approx 8 miles away from Aberthaw, There's a big Power station in Aberthaw and it's Very Close to EGFF Cardiff Airport, Great View from Aberthaw across the Bristol Channel. Weston Supermare was Famous for it's Pier, Unfortunately the Pier got destroyed last year due to a Fire.http://www.grandpierwsm.co.uk/grand_pier_fire.asp

Actually from the Website it appears to be open again, that's great news.

It's crazy to think that you are miles away yet your Grandfather use to live approx 8 miles away, Mad Hey ;D

Thanks for the Advice,

Cheers

Jason

HI all

Been trying to use my secondary machine to run FSMAP(Aerosoft) and Until Rex is released Active Sky X and GraphicsX through Simconnect.

-I've sorted Static Ip's and firewalls setting's :-X

-Follewed the confusing instructions ::)

-Tested it and it wont work ;D

I have noticed that I need to share the APPdata\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX file which I have not done yet and I hope that will fix it, but does anybody know a good tutorial or Web link that could help get me sorted.

My aim is to have TCAS and Moving Map and Weather system on spare machine linked to my FSX machine(freeing up valuable resources for FSX)

Thanks in advance for any help and advice,

Have a nice weekend everyone, Blue's Skies and all that ;D;)

Jason

Jason,

I am by NO means an expert on networking, BUT, after some trial and error, and LOTS of re-reading of the readme files involved, I have Active Sky runnning on a second PC connected to FSX via Simconnect, and also FSCommander running on the second PC connected to FSX via WideFS. Both of these are running and connected to FSX at the same time, and have been working for me flawlessly for a few months now. The best advice I can give is that you must have a TON of patience if you're not a networking guru, make sure to read ALL the documents for ALL the programs involved concerning this setup. I also used,as a reference, an article from an issue of Computer Pilot on networking with FSX. This article was helpful for setting up the basic networking stuff, but for the program specific stuff, I stuck to those program's readme docs. I am work right now, but if you need to know the specific Computer Pilot article let me know, and I will check when I am home.

Also, I should add, that while this setup does not speed up your FSX system necessarily, it DOES keep those programs from slowing it down anymore if you were to run them at the same time, on the same PC as FSX is running. Overall, after I got it setup and working, I love it and would not go back to the older way.

Cheers Sniper,

been a bit busy the last few days, but i hope to have another go this weekend, I understand it wont speed up FSX but it will free up the PC to concentrate on running the FSX.

I have the network sorted and do remember reading the Article so thanks for that. I think I have made a silly error from reading 2 many readme's etc.

I want to use Active sky & graphics X as well as FSMAP(Aerosoft) all via simmconnect is this possible, or will i need to split between FSWIDE and simconnect, I have FSwide full version but have never used it.

Benny has left me a link to his post and i will try that on Saturday,

Thanks for your help guys,

I will keep you informed

Cheers

Jason

Cheers Sniper,

been a bit busy the last few days, but i hope to have another go this weekend, I understand it wont speed up FSX but it will free up the PC to concentrate on running the FSX.

I have the network sorted and do remember reading the Article so thanks for that. I think I have made a silly error from reading 2 many readme's etc.

I want to use Active sky & graphics X as well as FSMAP(Aerosoft) all via simmconnect is this possible, or will i need to split between FSWIDE and simconnect, I have FSwide full version but have never used it.

Benny has left me a link to his post and i will try that on Saturday,

Thanks for your help guys,

I will keep you informed

Cheers

Jason

Jason,

You should be able to run all three of those programs via Simconnect just fine. The only reason my programs are split over Simconnect and WideFS is because FSCommander requires WideFS in order to run over a network. Good luck and I hope you get it all figured out.:) If I can help you in any other way, feel free to ask.

Salute,

Landon

On my second PC I use WideFS for FSCommander and as Im allready using widefs I use it for FS Moving map as well (very simple to set up). I also use Simconnect for Active Sky and FSHostClient and it works a treat. I found the best bit of info for simconnect in the Active Sky Documents folder. The key(for me) was to use the latest simconnect sp1a. Once I had that installed things started to come together.

• 2 weeks later...

I Did it, well tell a lie, My Brother came over and helped me solve it, I now have FSMAp and TCAS running on my spare machine

thanks for all your help guys

Cheers

Jason

Your welcome Jason, glad we could help ya.:)

Landon

I Did it, well tell a lie, My Brother came over and helped me solve it, I now have FSMAp and TCAS running on my spare machine

thanks for all your help guys

Cheers

Jason

Your welcome Jason, glad we could help ya.:)

Landon

Thanks again, I now need to try and Calibrate some maps, OMG fix one problem to start the next LOL

Cheers

Jason

I now have my 2nd machine(Client) running FSmap and I am going to attempt putting REX and Aerosoft Flight Calculator on it using widefs(never used Widefs before). Is there a limit to hom many programs your Networked pc can run?

Also I have a 2nd copy of FSX, can i also install it on my client or FS9 or will it upset the apple cart.....I can fly on my 2nd machine when i 1st machine is going through hours of re-instalation.  Is it possible? 

Thanks for the advice

Jason

Jason,

Not sure about the FSX on the 2nd PC, BUT, no, I don't think there is a limit to how many programs your networked PC can run. I myself run 2 programs from my client PC.

Thanks Sniper, I think the 2nd fsx would interfere so i will give it a miss, will get a lappy and stick it on that maybe

Cheers

Jason

I'm a GA junkie so TCAS and other things like it aren't a priority for me.

Off topic but, i would'nt discount TCAS as a viable system for GA aircraft, ands it probably only a matter of time before it becomes mandatory. Mid air collisions are far too common in GA. A simple system notifying of close proximity and aural avoidance cues as the RA.

I'm a GA junkie so TCAS and other things like it aren't a priority for me.

Off topic but, i would'nt discount TCAS as a viable system for GA aircraft, ands it probably only a matter of time before it becomes mandatory. Mid air collisions are far too common in GA. A simple system notifying of close proximity and aural avoidance cues as the RA.

I agree, I was watching an investigation in USA where a Cessna and an Airliner collided, TCAS would have avoided this. I know there are other things that would have helped avoid the crash, but TCAS as a last resort would help.

I love the TCAS feature of FSMAP, dont hear it often but when it does it's eventful,

Cheers

Jason

• 1 month later...

Hi Jason,

I am heading down this path also and intend to use a number of apps on a network PC using Simconnect but I am confused how to set up the Simconnect.dll for the multiple programs.

I already have 1 program (FSMap) working but sooner or later intend to use REX (once the networking issue is sorted) and possibly ASA once I purchase it. 

So does each program have a separate section in the dll file, using a different port for each?

If so what happens if 2 programs use the same port? Do they both work in unison?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Flinty

the destination port on the FSX PC should not matter, and should be able to be the same regardless of the application you are running at the other end I would expect ( think of multiple connections to an FTP server all arriving on port 21). But not an expert on the simconnect.dll so I could be wrong :)

It would normally be the source port on the client PC that would allocate to  the different applications that would segregate the traffic.

Did I make sense??

Cheers

Gurdy,

The 1st part of your reply does make sense but I got lost when you said the traffic would get segregated by the different apps, the reason I am not sure is that most apps indicate which port is to be set in Simconnect which lead me to believe that the port assignment is required and nesecary for each app to function correctly.

I guess I just need to try a second app on my client and see what happens without editing simconnect settings.

Thanks for the advice.

Hi Flinty,

Sorry i havent got as far as rex and other programs using simconnect,  but if you work out how to get more than one package connected via simconnect please advise,

if i get there before you i will update you ASAP.

Cheers

Jason

As Gurdy said once Simconnect is configured you can use multiple add-ons together with no issues.

I now have 3 add-on programs running on the client connected to FS no prob's, REX is not one of them sadly.

Only tricky bit is getting each add-on pointing to the right folders they need for FS and making sure those folders are correctly shared on the Host.

I now eagerly await for REX SP1...

Simconnect.xml has two options for the IP4 protocol.

The Local scope is for local clients running on the same PC as FSX.

The Remote scope is for clients running on networked PC's

You would need to enable one or the other or both depending on what is running where.

However, multiple clients can run on either Local or Remote scopes.

You don't need an individual scope for each client.

Wow Wow Wow !

After reading this, I popped over to FS Widgets and downloaded the free GMap.  They have a new Garmin edition, which puts the Google Earth browser into the frame of a GNS530 !

IT IS AWESOME !

I put it on my second (non-FS) networked PC.  When I first ran it I got "SimConnect not found!". Then I read the manual and all that was required was to set the Port and IP from my Simconnect.xml files (on the FS PC), into the Simconnect.cfg file (within the FSWidgets folder on the client PC).

Fired it up and BAM !  ......... A stunning moving map !  You can also copy your FS flight plans onto your client PC and then load them into the map and it will shpw your flight plan overlayed on the Google maps.

This is an unbelievable upgrade to have this level of mapping, without it pulling any frames down (due to it being on a networked PC).

SimConnent always seemed a bit frightening to me, but getting it working with GMap was a piece of cake:-

- Install Simconnect on the client PC.

- Make sure the Port and IP are set to something sensible in the Simconnect.xml file on the FS PC. (My Port is set to 6811 and my IP is 192.168.1.1)

- Place the SimConnect.cfg file (provided with the GMap d/load) into the FS Wigets folder on the Client PC.

- Open it and set the Port and IP to the same values that were in the Simconnect.xml on the FS PC.

.....and you're off !  to be honest, it sounds more complicated than it is.  I was set up in 2 mins and I'm no networking guru !

Brilliant free add-on.    8)

Archived