Bang for my buck

Sawbe

Hi all

Well i'm looking at upgrading either my CPU or GPU and am wondering which will give me the most joy performance wise.

I currently have:

Intel C2D E6550 2.33 GHz

Nvidia 8600GT 256 Mb

I'm looking at:

Intel C2Q Q9550 2.83 GHz

or

Nvidia GTX 260 896 Mb

I'll eventually upgrade the other as well, but am wondering what is the best thing to get first. I'm happy with my RAM and HDD for now.

Obviously if there is a better choice within the same price range I'm all ears  :)

Its hard to say, but I think you will see more screen-candy with the graphics card upgrade

and then when you get the CPU for xmas (hint), you will be able to really crank it

just my own opinion, I'm sure others would disagree with me, but that's the path I would take

CPU, CPU, AND The CPU for FSX, If you want it for say Far Cry 2 go for GFX card.

As mentioned before then start saving for the Graphics card

Just my opinion ;D

DISCLAIMER: My Opinion is my opinion ::) and doesn't mean I am Correct  :P LOL

Well put it this way if you have a Porche Carrera and it's only got a 1300 VW donk, everyone will see the fancy paint but the performance is pretty dismal right .  Now we go drop a turbocharged boxer engine in there instead there is gunna be a big performance jump even thought the exterior is the same. Your PC is NO different. Having a good graphics Card helps but if your brain (CPU)  isn't up to the task then the Graphics (GPU) isn't going to have the data to process and present on screen.

Thanks guys, you make it easy  8)

Good Luck with your purchase, dont make the mistake I made ::), My Board said it handled a Extreme Processor, but when i bought it even though the socket was right, they decided not to support the chip, so i ended up buying a new board after 3 days of trying to work out what was going on?

So just check compatibility with your MOBO,

Jason

Archived