SAK And Other Regions Mesh Question...

Jocko Flocko

A few years ago I purchased a rather large FSX mesh package from FS Genesis including 10 meter mesh for Alaska. Would there be any benefit to activating this mesh for use with FTX Southern Alaska? Would I see any real improvements in landscape resolution? Would it basically "mess up" the airports and terrain the OrbX/FTX team has "coded" for the mesh package included in the SAK release? I would hate to have floating airports or strange anomalies while flying just for the sake of a few extra polygons...

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Jocko Flocko,

the SAK mesh files were "hand-crafted" from more than 100 segments to create the best possible terrain. This was essential to fit our photoreal glaciers (made from fairly recent imagery) to the terrain features. Due to the rapidly melting glaciers the commonly used Alaskan terrain source data are hopelessly outdated.

In short, it's very important that our SAK terrain mesh files remain active in the SAK coverage area or there will be lots of display issues, not just with the glaciers but other areas too. I'm pretty sure though that all currently available third-party mesh files for Alaska are limited to 20-m grid resolution (LOD11), the same as our files. As long as that's the case you just need to make sure that those mesh files are at lower display priority in the scenery library menu as described in our manuals.

If the FSGenesis files are indeed compiled at 10m (LOD12) then they shouldn't be used while SAK is active. The same is true for any other 10-m mesh for that area.

Cheers, Holger

Archived