USA/Canada Pacific NW Installation Problem

rwcatherall

Hi, I've recently pruchased, downloaded and installed USA/Canada Pacific NW package. The program appeared to install correctly....roads, traffic, freeways, bridges, golf courses show up very nice. However buildings do not appear. It all looks like flat photo scenery i.e. no detail. The downtown city center for Vancouver has all the hi-rise building but out side just flat photo scenery. This is the same for Seattle. Airports are okay. I'm running P3D on Windows 8 OS. Computer Intel Core i7 2600 Quad Core running at 3.4 GHz with 16 GB ram and GPU is Radeon HD6970 2 GB, so don't think there is any problem there. Any help and/or advice would be appreciated.

Hi there,

welcome to Orbx!

a screenshot or two of the issue would be helpful because verbal descriptions often hide important detail. Please look here for instructions: http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/38447-how-to-post-a-screenshot-on-the-orbx-forums/

One question though up-front since you speak of "photo scenery": if you happen to use any photoreal add-on that overlaps our PNW it will automatically take display priority regardless of its position in the scenery library menu. I'm not aware of any such add-on that includes Vancouver BC but certainly the MegaScenery products cover Washington State.

Cheers, Holger

Hello RW

Once you upload your picture to OZx you will see several options to link the picture.

Something like this BBCode:

This is just a test image.

Posted Image

Then your picture should immediately be show here.

There are other ways, but that is the easiest.

Hope that helps

Hi there,

well, those look like the PNW ground textures meaning not an interference by any photoreal add-on. Assuming that your autogen density slider is not set to full left then something else must be preventing all autogen from displaying. Does the issue extend beyond the boundaries of PNW or, in fact, outside of Vancouver and Seattle as you mentioned? Also, do you happen to use either of the two "TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_" tweaks in your fsx.cfg file? Last but not least, if you happen to have other local add-ons installed for the area, placed at higher display priority than the FTX block of entries, then you could try to temporarily uncheck them (or, for a quick check, use the FTX Central scenery insertion tool option to place the FTX block at the top of your scenery library menu).

Cheers, Holger

Hello Holger, It doesn't happen anywhere else only for the area that the scenery covers. I've just installed P3D on it's own SSD. After the initial install I've only added the ORBX scenery. so that's the only scenery so far installed and shown in the scenery.cfg file. the cfg file has not been changed. The sliders are set as suggested. Could it be an issue with the downloaded files tho everything seemed to down load okay? I use Internet Download Manager for downloading. That's about all I can tell you at this point.

Bob Catherall

Hi Bob,

very strange. It's unlikely that it's an installation issue because ground textures and autogen definitions reside in the same PNW folder so if one was affected so should be the other.

I just noticed that there are a few autogen trees sitting in the middle ground of your scereenshot meaning it's not a complete suppression either. What are you scenery display slider settings, can you post a screenshot of that menu?

Cheers, Holger

Hi Bob,

those settings are OK. I just noticed though that you also have an active thread in the P3D forum: http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/57452-new-installation-problem/ . Has that issue been resolved? If you can't open/cycle FTX Central without error messages then the installation didn't go as planned after all.

Cheers, Holger

Hi Holger,

I think that open thread should be closed. I was trying to get the same info there as I'm getting here. Yes I can open FTX central without error however I've noticed that if I attempt to open the documents from FTX Central I'm not able to and have to go the documents folder in OBRX to achieve this. P3D is shown as default and North America is ticked. I've attempted to reinstall this program and get the same results. So now I'm really not sure what to do other than removing it. Thanks for your help.

Bob

Hi Bob,

just to make sure: you can cycle between Default FSX and North America (pressing "Apply" each time) without any error messages?

What are the date stamps of the following files in your \Autogen folder: AutogenDescriptions.spb, default.xml, and RoofDescriptions.spb ?

Cheers, Holger

Hi there,

those file dates mean they are probably still the P3D default versions and the error message indicates that you're missing the Backup folder in \ORBX\Scripts. Since FTX Central can't access that folder it doesn't complete the required file exchanges, which probably explains the autogen display issues.

You can create an empty folder named "Backup" in \ORBX\Scripts and then try again. If that doesn't help download and install the current Orbx Libraries from https://www.fullterrain.com/support.html#orbxlibs

Cheers, Holger

HI Holger,

Well well that did the trick i.e. creating a 'Backup' folder. So my question is what happened? Am I going to have to do this each time I re-install the program? But anyway the scenery look great. Thank you very much for you help.

Bob Catherall

Surrey, BC

Canada

Hi Bob,

great to hear that and sorry about the issue with the backup folder. I believe the issue had to do with our installer creation software from back then not compiling empty folders and us not noticing until the DVDs had been manufactured. These days we include a "dummy" file in that folder and we also added a copy with the Orbx Libraries installer. Since you're meant to install the latest library version anyway we figured it was the least painful way to fix the problem. Generally speaking it will only happen if a DVD installation of either PNW or PFJ is the first Orbx region a user installs into FSX or P3D.

Cheers, Holger

Hi Holger,

Just to let you know, I had the same message re. unhandled exception for Scripts\Backup as Bob did, and your fix (create backup folder) worked for me too. However, I did not have a CD, I had downloaded the file (without a download manager, which was probably the problem - my bad!)

Thanks anyway,

Nigel B.

Archived