WALES - FSX LIBRARY PROBLEMS

Wozzah

The installation of the Wales scenery yesterday from DVD has caused the deletion of every one of the (numerous) ORBX sceneries from my FSX Scenery Library. All sceneries remain in my FlightSimX/ORBX/ floder As FTX_AU, FTX_EU, FTX_NA and FTX_NZ.

I have tried re-activating England and Wales sceneries manually in the Scenery Library, but the scenery display looks incorrect.

Can you provide a solution?

Wozzah

Hi Wozzah,

when the installation of Wales completed it should have brought up FTX Central with the region set to Default FSX. What you describe sounds like you may have forgotten to select Europe as the active region. Please start FTX Central and make sure that it is indeed set to Europe.

Cheers, Holger

Hi Holger,

Thank-you for your response.

FTX Central is indeed now correctly set to Europe, and can successfully be varied from one area to another.

After inslallation of Wales (reported by the Installer as successfully installed), FTX Central actually did open set to Default FSX, as predicted in the installation program. I then followed the usual (and specified) practice of selecting Europe as the active region. However, when I opened FSX to check the scenery (flying from Cardiff) it became obvious that only the default scenery was active. When I checked the Scenery Library to see if Wales had in fact been installed, I found that every ORBX entry for Australia, North America, New Zealand and Europe had disappeared from the Scenery Library. This included airports as well as the scenery areas.

I have noticed on numerous occasions that, when selecting a new scenery area in FTX Central, a message box opens to the effect that:-

"Unhandled exception has occurred. If you click Continue the application will ignore this error. . . . . . . . . .

The requested opperation cannot be performed on a file with a user-mapped section open".

Nothing appears to happen when the "Continue" button is clicked, and FTX Central appears to hang. However, if FTX Central is switched off and then re-activated, the selected area will then be shown to have been activated. The scenery area is also then correctly displayed in FSX.

Could this have relevance to the problem? I had Garry Summons' UK200 Cardiff scenery installed, prior to installing Wales, if this has any bearing.

Cheers,

Wozzah

1. Its now over a week since my initial post. Does the silence mean that there is no known solutuin to my problem?

2. If "YES" to 1, should I now delete all ORBX titles from FSX? (This would entail the removal of some 12 ORBX Scenery Areas and 50-odd add-on ORBX Airports!)

3. If "YES to 2, is there an ORBX-approved methodology for removal? ( I am aware of John Venema's post of 18/09/08 re: AU REgions #35737 and Tim Harris's post of 01/03.11 #30378 ).

Cheers Again!

Wozzah

" ...The requested operation cannot be performed on a file with a user-mapped section open".

I have not seen this particular error before, but it sounds as though another process on your computer has the file in question 'locked' and is preventing FTXCentral from operating correctly.

It's not easy to say what, but the usual culprits would be virus checkers / indexing or backup programs. FTXCentral typically refuses to start if FSX is running, but if you have it in the background and taskswitch FSX will also lock files.

Another possibility is windows security features themselves.

I am not sure I know what the solution is in your particular case, but if the error was generated during the installer then a reinstall is likely required.

If however, the error is simply on changing FTX regions, it is most likely that the program is simply unable to switch in and out the required files, hence the disappearance of your scenery. It is extremely unlikely that the installer has removed the other regions, and much more likely that it is unable to activate them in the scenery library.

Things to try:

Remove Read-only folder attributes from all FSX subfolders

Restart the computer

Turn any virus / indexing or backup processes off (or anything else that might be accessing FTX/FSX folders)

Retry FTXCentral (cycle to default and then the region you are testing)

It may help to know which file cannot be modified to narrow the focus slightly.

As a result of the unhelpful and patronising respons whichI have just received by e-mail from one "Jay Kay", I have decided that, as a 70-year old, I don't need to put up with this sort of nonsense in future. I will no longer use my existing ORBX products (even assuming I could get them working again) and will certainly buy no new ones in the future.

Thank you for your effrorts!@

Wozzah

You did not spell my name right, fact of the matter is that your email to us was unacceptable and I wrote you back that all your issues stem from not following procedure for registration. You took offence to me telling you the truth, so be it.

I could go into detail here but I shan't for your attitude in both email and on the forums has been unacceptable. The CEO was made aware of this as well. Thank you.

Archived