Obutto R3volution cockpit

jpreou

Thought I would post about my Obutto. I've had it for several months now and have to say that it is really helping me keep 'fresh' with my flying given that I am aiming for my PPL but can only fly once every 4-6 weeks (financial constraints). The Obutto was a great 'investment' for me. I've done some mods to make it more suited to my specific needs, but it is a great cockpit. Since these photos I have added a Saitek headset and moved the TrackIR sensor to the bottom left of the main screen. The headset provides surprisingly greater immersion for me. I am partway through making an elasticated pocket on the left side to hold my checklists, maps and in-flight board; just like the real aircraft I fly (-ish).

In pursuit of my PPL I have downloaded HamiltonX airport from FScreations (and much of the rest too), the Godzone Vector Land Class mesh and of course ORBX NZNI, NZSI and Milford. I also downloaded the Robin/Alpha 160 plane I am flying in real life at the Waikato Aero Club and have tweaked the config file so it is a slightly better match for the plane I actually fly. All my flying is purely visual, dead-reckoning and map reading; I rarely even use an external view. "As Real As It Gets"? I try! I don't refer to the FSX map, nor do I use the GPS. I have been pleasantly surprised at how well this works with a real aeronautical map and the ORBX scenery :-)

I have an A3 photo of the real cockpit and go through all the right checks, etc whenever I fly. Ironic since I bought the Obutto so I could 'jump in and go', where now even a short flight consumes an hour or so (that I don't have with four kids around (two big, two small)!). I'm trying to make my cockpit and flying environment as close to real as I can on a simple and very limited budget.

At the moment my cockpit is in the corner of the dining room. I'm waiting for the older kids to leave home so I can get an office and expand out the sim with a desktop machine and at least two additional screens. I have yet to add the Saitek radio stack, my final hardware purchase for a while, but can't find it at a price that fits my budget. The crab heat control is one that was actually trialled as a replacement in the Alpha but they decided not to use it. In my setup it doesn't do anything, but it helps with procedure and muscle memory.

By the way, if anyone knows exactly which settings to tweak in an aircraft CFRG file or AirEd then let me know; the most agitating thing about the Alpha model in FSX is the painfully slow throttle response. Despite being a piston, it practically responds like a turbine and a slow one at that. Annoying. Other aircraft are ok.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of updates to the Obutto this weekend.

The Alpha 160 has a pocket in the cockpit to store checklists, charts, ATIS pad and stuff.

Now I do too. Made from 6mm MDF and vinyl. Keeps things a little tidier.

Posted Image

I got fed up with sitting down and then realising my Saitek Pro Flight headset was hanging out back behind the screen. Well, this hanger now means I can reach it easily when sitting down and keeps it tidy and out of the way when I am not using it.

Posted ImageUploaded with ImageShack.us

• 3 weeks later...

Further update to my setup and from a hardware perspective I think I'll hold here.

I have now added a Saitek Pro Flight radio panel; I like it and it adds just a little bit more to the experience.

I've recently been playing with aiding my VFR navigation using VOR/DME/NDB and the radio panel is great for that.

One thing I notice, which I read about before, is that the tuning knobs have detents and often a number will fall between two notches and can be tricky to hold the right number. No biggie though.

For now, I don't feel the need to add any more hardware; I do like the Saitek gauges but the virtual cockpit provides those nicely enough for now and it would be quite expensive to build out to that level.

Maybe when the kids have left home (only 19 years to go!).

http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/8272/obuttor3volution009.jpg

http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/1525/obuttor3volution010.jpg

Cheers

• 10 months later...

A couple of updates to the Obutto this weekend.

The Alpha 160 has a pocket in the cockpit to store checklists, charts, ATIS pad and stuff.

Now I do too. Made from 6mm MDF and vinyl. Keeps things a little tidier.

obuttor3volution007.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

How did you attach the pocket to the mdf?  I've tried looking closely and it looks like staples, but I wanted to ask.  Also, what are the measurements for your pocket?  I hope to hear from you.

A setup like that and all you have is a logitech joystick??? :P

Yeah, it works though; and I don't get time on the sim these days anyway (kids!)

How did you attach the pocket to the mdf?  I've tried looking closely and it looks like staples, but I wanted to ask.  Also, what are the measurements for your pocket?  I hope to hear from you.

Yep, staples! It was easiest and looks were (are) not 100% important to me over functionality.

I don't know what the measurements are; I'd have to check and get back to you on that.

Cheers

I am with you on the Logitech Jeff,

I use one as well. Not the same model but almost exactly the same functionally. I have a number of other controllers around here (and more in a box in a corner of the basement) all costing much more but that is the one that works consistently.

The rest of your setup is beyond my current finances and frankly beyond what I have space for. Some day maybe I'll get there. Good stuff! :)

Regards,

Tom Wunder

Archived