SAK Texture problem

Magnus Farnes

Hi!

I've attached a picture to show what kind of problem I'm having with FTX SAK! Basicly the textures appear as tiles, and it looks like they show different seasons or something like that.. At least it's not how it is supposed to be, and any suggestions to a fix would be appreciated! The location is Valdez (PAVD).

Posted Image

Posted Image

Hi there,

first thing to do in a situation like that is to cycle FTX Central once to Default FSX and then back to North America, pressing Apply each time. Doing so will check and re-insert the global replacement files required for SAK and thus fix most problems. Let us know if it does the trick for you.

Cheers, Holger

No, unfortunately that didn't do the trick. I've also tried changing seasons without any luck... The thing that strikes me is that it could have something to do with the landclass configuration! Instead of blending nicely, the landclass textures are all arranged in tiles of the same dimensions instead of the cut out areas they sould confine to. I have some years of experience tweaking fsx, but this is outside my field of knowledge so your help is very appreciated! For your information I'm also running Ultimate Alaska X, and I have verified that it has lower priority in the scenery library.

Hi there,

indeed, both land and water class blendmasks are inactive for you. I don't know what causes this but I remember that a couple of customers had similar issues with our New Zealand regions and the only way they could solve it was by reinstalling that region. That would be the next step I'd suggest.

Cheers, Holger

Tried, but without luck... I followed the instructions on the forum on how to reinstall. Also tried to deactivate all other scenery in FSX, but that didn't do it either... Should I maybe try to deactivate the DX10 preview, or shouldn't that have anything to say?

Thank you for your help!

Hi there,

odd that! No, DX10 preview won't have any relation with that issue.

I found the thread about NZSI from last year: http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/47397-river-mouth-texture-problems/#entry417129 . Unfortunately, in his case only re-installing FSX resolved the problem .

Is your issue confined to SAK or does the blending fail everywhere? What happens when you set FTX Central back to Default FSX?

Cheers, Holger

I've only seen this with SAK, and never before with any other scenery add-ons! The blending only fails in SAK (I've checked different places around the SAK area), and when I set FTX Central back to Default FSX, everything is back to normal. I've also tried switching off every single add-on except from SAK in the scenery library, but with no luck there either... Looks like this is going to be a long battle! :- I will try looking for solutions for quite some more time, because with all the add-ons and tweaks reinstalling FSX doesn't tempt me...

Hi there,

I find it baffling that the issue is limited to SAK, which means that it has to be something to do with its installation on your PC yet the texture blending is largely regulated by global files and all NA regions use the same files.

I'm shooting in the dark here but perhaps something to try is a "refresh" of your terrain.cfg file: make a backup copy of your current version (in the main FSX directory), then replace it with a copy of the default backup from \ORBX\Scripts\FTXCentral\Work, and then start FTXCentral and cycle it once to Default FSX and back to North America. If that made a difference then you'll need to re-insert custom terrain.cfg from your other add-ons as well but let's take it one step at a time.

Cheers, Holger

No luck with that. Tried replacing the terrain.cfg file but nothing changed... I also find it strange that the problem persists when reinstalling SAK, pointing to the direction of the installation itself.

By the way I tried downloading and installing the PNW Demo just to see if the problem is for FTX in general or just SAK. PNW looks great!

Hi there,

sorry but I'm out of ideas. Since the terrain.cfg refresh didn't make a difference I suggest you put your previous copy back in in case it also contained other add-on's custom entries.

What are the file counts in your \ORBX\FTX_NA\FTX_NA_SAK08_CUSTOM\scenery and \ORBX\FTX_NA\FTX_NA_SAK08_CUSTOM\Texture folders? Should be 44 and 4661, respectively. Also, with FTX Central set to North America, what is the date stamp of lclookup.bgl in FSX\Scenery\BASE\Scenery?

Cheers, Holger

I checked both folders and they have the correct file counts. The date stamp on lclookup.bgl is July 1st 2011 (01.07.2011 06:41) when FTX Central is set to NA, and it's the same with FTX Central set to Default as well, if that gives any clues towards the solution...

Hi there,

the date stamp for your lclookup.bgl is correct except that you seem to have overwritten your default FSX version because that should be restored to \Scenery\BASE\Scenery whenever you switch FTX Central back to Default FSX (while set to North America or any other FTX region, the default lclookup.bgl gets stored in the \ORBX\Scripts\Backup folder, along with the other default files we overwrite). The default file's date stamp should be 7/30/2006.

In any case that's not really the issue here so we're not any closer to resolving the problem...

Cheers, Holger

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

the date stamp for your lclookup.bgl is correct except that you seem to have overwritten your default FSX version because that should be restored to \Scenery\BASE\Scenery whenever you switch FTX Central back to Default FSX (while set to North America or any other FTX region, the default lclookup.bgl gets stored in the \ORBX\Scripts\Backup folder, along with the other default files we overwrite). The default file's date stamp should be 7/30/2006.

In any case that's not really the issue here so we're not any closer to resolving the problem...

Cheers, Holger

Happiness!! After some weeks of searching the internet and looking through FSX folders, I finally found the cause of the problem :D

The culprit this time was Addon Converter X from Flight 1, a software I purchased a while ago to fix some AI compatibility issues with DX10. The case is that it doesn't convert textures in one operation, but it has a module that runs in the background and converts textures on the fly. That is probably the reason a clean reinstall didn't work...

Anyway, thank you very much for taking your time to help me, Holger! Now I'm definitely going to shut off my phone, lock down the house, then make some pizza and enjoy some Alaskan wilderness for the rest of the night 8)

FWIW find Don Grovestine's AI Flight Planner program. It will correct FS9 AI files in FSX. FS9 AI files in FSX prevent FSX AI from showing. Don's program converts them with no problems.

FWIW find Don Grovestine's AI Flight Planner program. It will correct FS9 AI files in FSX. FS9 AI files in FSX prevent FSX AI from showing. Don's program converts them with no problems.

It's not the AI files that are the problem. It's the FS9 textures making the AI aircraft show up as white boxes in FSX when using DX10 preview. Common problem with the WOAI packages I think.

Maybe there are some bgl-files or ADEX-files in your Library-Folder(s), which is for shure ABOVE the SAK entries in your FSX-scenery-library. I found some in mine, cause I´ve had a similar problem in Skagway (resolved).

Try a search and good luck!

Cheers Rainer

Hi magf94,

great to hear you've found the culprit and thanks for letting us know. I would never have guessed that it was a case of (externally forced) texture corruption and it's great to know the cause should other customers encounter similar issues.

Enjoy SAK!

Cheers, Holger

Archived