FPS hit

Gurdy

Guys

I have tried lately to run FSX in windowed mode with a second monitor for running moving map etc...

U can see my specs below... I have FPS locked at 30 FPS, and it is steady in fullscreen mode. but when i go to windowed mode, it drops by 50% and stutters. I am perplexed, I have even disabled the secondary monitor and no difference.. any clues??

I can do without these extras to enjoy nice FPS, but I am just curious!

Hey Gurdy,

This is an issue that has been around for ages, some people have massive performance differences between full screen and windowed mode, while others notice no difference at all. Basically it has to do with three main things, DirectX, resolution and your graphics card.

The functions of direct3D and Direct Draw (components of DirectX) generally have always performed better in full screen mode, although with newer graphics cards there is generally no performance difference between full screen and windowed modes. Older cards tend to struggle with some applications in windowed mode.

Resolution can sometimes be an issue in windowed mode as the computer has to display the desktop etc in native windows resolution, and the game/sim resolution which may be different to the desktop resolution. This can sometimes cause issues, which is why game developers often state in user manuals to set the game resolution to the same as windows desktop resolution.

So mainly a limitation of older graphics cards to handle directx applications in a windowed environment combined with possible resolution differences. Sometimes you can help improve windowed performance by turning off AA (which sometimes dosent work too well in windowed mode) and by turning off V-sync.

Hope that's of some help mate.

Russ.

I guess I have really noticed it since I got the 24" monitor and running in 1900x1200 native, both for fullscreen and windowed mode. I get the feeling I am at the limit of the 9600GT for that resolution for windowed mode.

Looks like another Vidcard upgrade in the near future, when the dollar rights itself :)

Archived