AU SP4.002 makes my FSX break.

Japo32

Hello!

After installing the FTX AU SP4 everything was ok... Then I installed the update sp4.002 and was a mad thing. FSX won't load.. just CTD before ending load of it.

Because I have Acronis I could go back to 3 days back copy so everything was normal.

Tried with the option of Acronis "try and decide" and again I have same problem... Installing the libraries didn't help.

One thing I have to say is that the AU SP4 was buyed last year... and I had format the PC. Now I wanted to install it again, but when I made the backup, I just saved the installation files, not the option to install and ask for the serial and order number. Of course it is buyed.. but for me is more confortable just backup the "unziped" files to a bluray disc. So it don't ask me the serial.. and as said.. SP4 is working good. BUT not SP4.002

What is happening with it? It mess up my FSX install. First a Ezdok msg appears saying something like FSX_Handle 0... and closes.. If I uninstall Ezdok (that is not the culprit because all works good in SP4 default), then appears another msg with TacPack.. but still closes FSX.

Something is inside SP4.002 that makes my FSX mad.

Any help is welcome!

Hi there,

sorry to hear about your problems but I'm not sure how to help. There is no issue with installing the unzipped version of AU SP4 and you won't have to provide order and serial numbers again unless you install on a different PC.

Don't know what the references to Ezdok and TacPack are about but when I run a Google search for "FSX_Handle=0" there are a few links to Ezdok-related crashes in conjunction with the dll.xml (located in C:\Users\{Username}\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX). However, AU SP4.002 doesn't write to dll.xml, so I'm not sure what the issue might be. Also, there's no reference to any previous "FSX_Handle" errors reported in our payware forums. You could try re-installing with an original copy of dll.xml, first installing AU SP4/SP4.002 and then re-installing Ezdok and TacPack.

Cheers, Holger

Not infrequently, after large scenery library changes, windows requires a Cold system reboot in order to start.

Someone once offered an explanation of this (I've forgotten)

If SP4 was running fine beforehand, then it is hard to imagine how the Sp could "break it"

Did you reboot windows after the update?

No I didn't restart.. don't know if the "try and decide" option of Acronis can be made with a reset, has to see that. For now I am flying with sp4 alone. Installed the library and all is ok. For sure sp4.002 makes something in my system because I tried 2 times. One with orbx region activated and the other one fsx default.

If you do try again, or indeed if FSX won't restart after any installation, then try restarting your computer before rolling back the changes.

This happens reasonably often when developing scenery and altering hordes of files.

Somehow Windows/FSX just needs to flush everything out to get on top of things. If you are happy to fly SP4 alone, then all good.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok.. I decide to try again today and same problem. Rolled back the changes and now is ok (the sp4 only). One thing it ask me when installing sp4.002 is that there are some write protected files, if I want to overwrite them. I say yes. Is it maybe that the problem?

There should not be any write protected files, but on occasion the attributes of the FSX folder get altered.

Make sure that you are logged in as Administrator.

Turn User Account Control to its lowest setting (never notify).

Right-Click the FSX directory, and uncheck the Read-Only Flag. Apply this to all subfolders.

Make sure non of the contents are in use, and that FSX is shut down.

You could then try re-applying the patch.

Archived