Sound Card?

IW11

At present I'm using an on board sound card. My computer, although reasonable spec, doesn't run fsx as well as I would like, best described as borderline. I'm wondering is a dedicated sound card would help, would it off load some work & give even a small performance boost or is it a waste of time? Just a theory. :-\

Ian

Not necessarily BUT the use of a PCI or even external USB sound Processing device may infact give superior results simply because that is what it is designed to do. I've never really been a fan of all the on-board inclusions these days such as sound and Video but they work, you could use your on-board for your ATC and Vatsim Audio etc and the additional Sound Device as your main Audio Output, this configuration works very well.

At present I'm using an on board sound card. My computer, although reasonable spec, doesn't run fsx as well as I would like, best described as borderline. I'm wondering is a dedicated sound card would help, would it off load some work & give even a small performance boost or is it a waste of time? Just a theory. :-\

Ian

Ian in my opinion you can't beat a dedicated sound card they do relieve some of the work load but if FSX is your main enjoyment then again in my opinion FSX doesn't do the best job of utilising sound or surround sound so save your pennies stick with onboard.

Lets face it if your not going to go surround sound and spend a little $$$ to get that luxury of a quality PCI sound card and speaker system then don't even invest in such a venture you will be disappointed in performance and sound quality that's my take.

As far as I am aware FSX isn't surround capable so comments against FSX and surround sound might be unfounded.

If you configure your system properly the sound packages from various aircraft replicate rather well I thought, there are a few that seem to a little loopy but these I have edited to increas the actual length of the sound file and removed the sudden change sometimes evident when the sound restarts.

I use a matrix sound system from Logitech which can give you a wider spatial separation makeing the sounds appear as if in a larger room but quality speakers placed strategically helps immensely.

I'd advise getting yourself a true Soundblaster and not a bloody generic copy with Creative Chips and then utilize this as your primary sound device and run your VATSIM Voice Client, TS, Skype, and other VOIP clients etc through the on board card. 

My advice is that unless you're a sound freak, you could get a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio Card PCI Express (~80 bucks) or a Creative SoundBlaster Audigy SE Sound Card 7.1 (~40 bucks). 

I don't buy too much into the argument of getting a soundcard for better performance.  This is true, but you'd be better off using the $$'s for a faster CPU.  Do the cost/benefit analysis math. :)

To see if getting a sound card would actually help, try disabling the inbuilt soundcard in your BIOS and then fire up FSX to see the if there's difference...

Cheers,

Matt.

Hi

I would not even consider using an on board sound card

The difference between the diifferent systems is like chalk and cheese.

If you have you system running through a decent amp an speaker setup then go for a decent card.

I have a soundblaster XFI fatality card and have not looked back.

It is also a low latency card so is exceptional if using it in music software playback in Sibelius for example.

HI

Sibelius was a composer yes..

but I was talking about the software program for writing and playback of written sheet music

to be able to input your music via keyboaord or wind instrument and listen to the output a low latency card is essential.. otherwise there is a good difference in the time that you input your music to when you hear it.. Also if you are using natural sounds rather than a normal midi file a good soundcard is needed for s decent output. A good example would be using Garritan Personal Orchestra in Sibelius

HI

Sibelius was a composer yes..

but I was talking about the software program for writing and playback of written sheet music

to be able to input your music via keyboaord or wind instrument and listen to the output a low latency card is essential.. otherwise there is a good difference in the time that you input your music to when you hear it.. Also if you are using natural sounds rather than a normal midi file a good soundcard is needed for s decent output. A good example would be using Garritan Personal Orchestra in Sibelius

Anyone know how Sibelius compares to Steinberg?  I used Steinberg Score about 13 years ago and found it pretty good.  Haven't had a proper program for a while but I always want to...

Cheers,

Matt.

I swear i read somewhere that a Sound card will help increase FSX performance and all other games. I can't remember who or where but I bought into it and have had 4 Soundblaster cards since. I couldn't be without one now.

But it is meant to help with FSX performance, but I'm no expert.

good luck with the purchase, if you decide too

Jas

I swear i read somewhere that a Sound card will help increase FSX performance and all other games. I can't remember who or where but I bought into it and have had 4 Soundblaster cards since. I couldn't be without one now.

Jas

As Wolter said, that is correct.  Motherboard soundcards are mostly a software implementation that the CPU has to process.  Dedicated soundcards come with a dedicated chip to do that processing.  So you will get some performance benefit.

But my point is that if you're about to spend 230 bucks on a new CPU and 80 bucks on a soundcard, you'll get better performance if you just spend 310 bucks on a new CPU. :)

Cheers,

Matt.

I think a lot depends on the integrated sound though.

My motherboard, an MSI P-35 NeoFIR, uses the Realtek ALC888 as its on-board sound. Common opinion on the net reckons this chip sounds just as good as most sound cards (most comparisons are against the Audigy 2ZS it seems). Also, as far as I know, being a dedicated sound chip it doesn't affect the CPU at all. It's just like having a sound card plugged in, but integrated onto the motherboard.

Jas

As Wolter said, that is correct.  Motherboard soundcards are mostly a software implementation that the CPU has to process.  Dedicated soundcards come with a dedicated chip to do that processing.  So you will get some performance benefit.

But my point is that if you're about to spend 230 bucks on a new CPU and 80 bucks on a soundcard, you'll get better performance if you just spend 310 bucks on a new CPU. :)

Cheers,

Matt.

I totally agree Processor first, I wasted money on a 2 x Core 2 Duo only to then buy a third being a QX9650 but an XFI extreme Music Card. I couldn't afford the Extreme Processor but went for it on the Credit Card. But I wonder if i skimped on the Sound Card. I can't help feeling a XFi Fatality Gamer may help a few FPS.

cheers

Jas

I agree that a new processor would be the best way. My processor is a double core 3.2 so what should I go to next assuming I retain the same mb? If I've got to change the mb then I probably should change the whole computer.

Ian

Archived