Nvidia Beta Drivers 180.43

Iain Emms

New Beta Driver,

Beta driver for GeForce 200-series, 9-series, and 8800-series desktop GPUs (refer to the products supported tab for more detail).

Recommended for the best experience on Far Cry 2:

“Since we first began working on Far Cry 2 in early 2005, we have used GeForce GPU’s to develop the game and worked closely with NVIDIA’s excellent engineers. While Far Cry 2 represents an outstanding PC gaming experience for a wide range of systems, GeForce users can expect to enjoy the game quite literally ‘The Way It Was Meant To Be Played’.â€

- Louis-Pierre Pharand, Ubisoft, Far Cry 2 Producer

Enables NVIDIA SLI technology on SLI-certified Intel X58-based motherboards with the following GPUs: GeForce GTX 280, GeForce GTX 260, GeForce 9800 GX2, GeForce 9800 GTX+, and GeForce 9800 GTX.

Products Surported,

GeForce GTX 280

GeForce GTX 260

GeForce 9800 GX2

GeForce 9800 GTX+

GeForce 9800 GTX

GeForce 9800 GT

GeForce 9600 GT

GeForce 9600 GSO

GeForce 9500 GT

GeForce 9500 GS

GeForce 9400 GT

GeForce 9400

GeForce 9300

GeForce 9200

GeForce 8800 Ultra

GeForce 8800 GTX

GeForce 8800 GTS 512

GeForce 8800 GTS

GeForce 8800 GT

GeForce 8800 GS

Have a look here.http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/winvista_x64_180.43_beta_uk.html

cheers

Iain.

DO NOT download just because you can,  FAR to many issues are caused by updating video driver's that are currently working to those NOT yet proven.

I urge people to wait and update in a month or so once it is proven to run and work with wide range of hardware.

Adam I simply posted so that others can be informed that just because there is a new driver it by no means holds that it will suit your hardware.

I acknowledge your comment re proving the driver but let the FPS types with the wicked graphics we've seen in the Lounge prove it first.

Most of us have worked long and hard to build some reliability into our Sims and one errant driver can undo all that good. I prefer to let other eager beaver's be the guinea pigs so to speak. My years in IT and Building Gaming PC's when working in Brisbane have taught me to be more than just a bit wary of the latest and greatest.  My driver and hardware are running fine with the current issue driver and I'll not change until there is a proven advantage with other Sims as it would then be reasonable to expect that FSX will benefit too.

well why is it that when people have problems with their system/s the advice is to download the latest driver?

before installing the new drivers use the windows back up and also set a system restore point so you can easily revert back - Windows restore points have worked well for me!

Because "Skypilot" so many people are of the misguided belief that the driver is at fault when something unexpected happens and that is not generally the case especially if it has been functioning fine previously.  There will always be a cause but unfortunately finding that cause can be rather time consuming and frustrating. As a result far too many IT Pros take the easy road ( and cheaper too time wise ) and simply reload or replace a driver, but I prefer to find out why the error occurred in the first place so that the same error might be prevented in future.

If your a fan of windows restore and I'm certainly not and I know a lot here aren't, then you also need to be aware that the bigger the drive ( assuming single drive system ) then the bigger the amount of space reserved for a restore point. Regular GHOST ing  of the C:\ OS Drive or partition (another reason to use a small BOOT drive ) the more reliable your recovery will be.

Well, despite the warnings I d/loaded them and they work fine with my GTX280, I have definitely gained some frames with these new drivers.  Maybe instead of being 'negative nancy's' those who have used them AT THEIR OWN RISK, can post the results so others can make more educated/informed decisions.  As was said before, thats the reason they put beta's out there, so bunnies like me can test them!  ;)

No "Archie" the Beta's will have been thoroughly tested before hand but eventually they are released so that a greater range of hardware and system configurations can be added to the mix.

I really don't think I was being a negative Nancy but rather attempting to urge caution, Using a new driver, just like any other software is of course at your own risk as you said.  I just get a little tired of researching things to correct error's that needn't have occurred because of premature or over zealous installation.

Many people won't have problems but I would be very surprised if there weren't at least 30% or better who will have issues.

Well "Maurice"  (I am unsure what the emphasis on our names is supposed to convey btw  ::)) I think the point here is that a member has provided us with some information that may be of interest to a lot of us, and as ADULTS we make the choices about what we download or don't download.  When you put on a skirt and call yourself my wife, you then have my full permission to tell me what to do my friend, but until that time, please do not assume you are talking to 12 year old children wet behind the ears with regard to our systems.  'end rant'.  ;)

PS That may have sounded a little 'terse' but at my age and level of experience, I dislike "intensely" being told what I should and should not do by anonymous internet residents, I am sure you will understand that Mozz.

The " " was to delineate the Name only Yes info was provided by myself merely as a warning, since we have has many instances where problems have occured when driver's were updated with ones that didn't suit the hardware in question.

I never assume age either since we are both in our 40's like you point out it is the end user that is ultimately the decision maker.

to add to Maurice's post,

GeForce Release 180 Beta 

Version: 180.43

Release Date: 24.10.2008

Operating System: Windows Vista 64-bit

Language: English (International) 

File Size: 114 MB

This is where the link leeds to, so if you have Vista 64 you're OK, every other OS is screwed when you try to install these drivers, they probably won't, but I' am not going to try that :P

That's what Maurice is trying to warn for, with all due respect, some people see the link, hit it, install it and then the crying starts.

So in future maybe our first question should be when someone has a problem, could you tell us "wich" drivers you have installed ?

it will be interresting to see how many will be able to answer that question, expirience has told us that it won't be many.

and as is stated at every site where you install stuff from, installing the software is at your own risc ;)

Fortunately the installer will not let you install a driver for the wrong OS or version of an OS - the link would be best pointed to the general driver download page http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us and then people can put in their own details.

I think the risk of installing a display driver, even in BETA state is minimal, but it is up to the individual to decide whether he or she wants to try it. Often new drivers will bring benefits esp. if FSX is not the only title you play - if it is then there may be less point, unless you have a very recently released card.

I have updated to EVERY new driver since 6.50 and my first nV card - a long time ago - and can honestly say I have never had a single issue with doing so.

Sorry chaps if ive caused any arguments over this post i only ment it to be a bit of information for people to read and if they wanted to try the drivers, i have installed them yesturday and have so far found no problems with them but its up to us all to make up our own minds as to wheather or not to install these drivers.

cheers

Iain.

Absolutely no problem Iain !

it is really appreciated, the controversy, if any, is non existant, Maurice merely tryed to warn people that are not really into this, to thread with great care as it can be cause of problems when they do not exactly know what they are doing.

till the 178.24 version came about I used the 177.83 Beta's and they worked fine for me 8)

and I will give these a run for their money as well, and if I get not the desired result I can revert back to the previous ones ;D

... Maurice merely tryed to warn people that are not really into this, to thread with great care as it can be cause of problems when they do not exactly know what they are doing.

Seems to me we're all threading with care lately to avoid Wolter and his stick  ;);D

I installed the 180 drivers last night. I don't think they affected much though ... good or bad.

Adam I simply posted so that others can be informed that just because there is a new driver it by no means holds that it will suit your hardware.

I acknowledge your comment re proving the driver but let the FPS types with the wicked graphics we've seen in the Lounge prove it first.

Most of us have worked long and hard to build some reliability into our Sims and one errant driver can undo all that good. I prefer to let other eager beaver's be the guinea pigs so to speak. My years in IT and Building Gaming PC's when working in Brisbane have taught me to be more than just a bit wary of the latest and greatest.  My driver and hardware are running fine with the current issue driver and I'll not change until there is a proven advantage with other Sims as it would then be reasonable to expect that FSX will benefit too.

Here Here well stated  and I say the same not just  with drivers  but 75% New in "IT"

Because "Skypilot" so many people are of the misguided belief that the driver is at fault when something unexpected happens and that is not generally the case especially if it has been functioning fine previously.  There will always be a cause but unfortunately finding that cause can be rather time consuming and frustrating. As a result far too many IT Pros take the easy road ( and cheaper too time wise ) and simply reload or replace a driver, but I prefer to find out why the error occurred in the first place so that the same error might be prevented in future.

If your a fan of windows restore and I'm certainly not and I know a lot here aren't, then you also need to be aware that the bigger the drive ( assuming single drive system ) then the bigger the amount of space reserved for a restore point. Regular GHOST ing  of the C:\ OS Drive or partition (another reason to use a small BOOT drive ) the more reliable your recovery will be.

I thought my comment would get "Maurice" going. ;)

What I have learnt is to make your own mind up and do what is best for you. There is a lot of misinformation about on the net.

I tend to agree with Maurice, he does seem to have an excellent grasp of the technical aspects of our hobby, & has always offered the most rational advice, IMHO. Personally, I still am using the 169.21 drivers with my 8800GT - nothing has yet come close to the performance and smoothness I achieve with these drivers on my own system. And yes, I do load all the new ones, just to try them out - but I would rather have a smooth performance & visually pleasing "pans" rather than chase a few extra frame rates. Go with what works for you & your system - they're all a bit different in how they react to drivers! I run Vista on a dual boot & 161.21 + nHancer has proved to be the best possible driver/software combo for me. Good thread though! ;D Cheers, Malcolm.

Just get in there and install the drivers it's the only way to find out and learn as you go to fix issues should the drivers mess things up. Of course if your not up too such tasks then leave all that work for those of us that do test and be guinea pigs.......... ;D

Right on }SkOrPn--7!!!  ;)

OK to be fair the end it the decision is that of the installer - I simply posted a warning to be cautious and perhaps the tone could have been better but I do get a bit tired of hearing of problems caused when the shit hits the fan because of incompatibilities many of which may not have been encountered during development and initial testing.

Let some other bunny be the guinea pig - 

I have NEVER loaded driver's especially video, that weren't at least 3 months old, in fact my current driver for my nVidia card is the original from the CD - it is stable with acceptable performance figures-. 

If you have NEVER installed brand new dangerous video drivers, how do you know we need to be so worried about them? I ALWAYS install them, well, SOMETIMES... They make things faster, or sometimes slower, they fix things or sometimes make new problems, but I keep on doing it because its fun and I want to get the best performance I can from my system. And when it doesn't work, I uninstall them. It's really very simple.

Because I've never downloaded drivers and installed the bloody things the day they are released,  I will always wait, the old adage "If it ain't screwed then don't screw with it. "  rings very loud in my ears I'm afraid which gets back to my initial warning of not being too hasty.

Just because drivers have passed the original beta test with nVidia doesn't mean there wont be various hardware and software interactions that may conflict.

Anyone who uses the drivers, can and does do so of their own accord.

I've not formated nor rebuilt the system for many years because I tend to be a bit careful.

I have NEVER loaded driver's especially video, that weren't at least 3 months old, in fact my current driver for my nVidia card is the original from the CD - it is stable with acceptable performance figures-. 

Well if you wait 3 months, wont they be the same as they were at 1 day old?

I grew up with, "Have you got the latest drivers?", ringing in my ears. So I always install the latest immediately it is released.

My computer is now about five months old and from memory I am on about my sixth vid card drivers.

Visually I can not see the slightest difference between the 180.43 and the ones I got originally with the card. None have caused the slightest problem.

I have my own theory on computers. "If it aint broken, just bugger around with it and it soon will be"

Sky pilot by the time the driver is 3 months old the bugs have been found and refined which is my point entirely.

If you want to be the bunny that installs drivers as soon as they are released then go right ahead but, don't grizzle when things go pair shaped as a result.

The Latest and greatest in not always the best.  You make up your own mind. 

I do not really understand where this is going.  'Ironing' out the bugs results in the next lot of drivers being released, so if you do not download them you will never get the fixed up ones, they do not go back and re-engineer the old drivers, they release updated ones, hence the ongoing release schedule, downloading the beta drivers is effectively testing the new drivers out in the big wide world, if they are effective at fixing whatever issues they are trying to resolve, the next WHQL ones are released.  It is a personal choice as to you downloading them or not, I don't see that that is up for discussion, I choose to do it and have never had any problems, in fact quite the opposite, that is my experience with it.  That's the end of my input into this "discussion".  ;)

Beta driver's are essentially already tested.

After beta testing is done on new/tweaked drivers, they are provided for the public to 'preview'

before final release, and to recieve feedback from user's about performance/IQ to asses if they

will be issued as a released driver or possibly WHQL....

Especially as FSX continues to evolve, and we all continue to tweak and enhance performance and visual

quality of our flight environment...graphics driver's play a very important part of the improvement.

With such a broad variety of systems and hardware we are all running FSX, these many different and on-going

driver's provide us with resources to enhance our immersion.

This day and age, there is a very minimal risk, if any, that merely trying a new driver, beit beta or not, would cause

irrepetible damage to your files, folders, or hardware...that said, I serioulsy doubt someone who has no clue to what there

doing would devulge themselves into this process without RTFM and further investigation on the how-to.

Cheers,

Po'

Sky pilot by the time the driver is 3 months old the bugs have been found and refined which is my point entirely.

If you want to be the bunny that installs drivers as soon as they are released then go right ahead but, don't grizzle when things go pair shaped as a result.

The Latest and greatest in not always the best.  You make up your own mind. 

I do and I don't grizzle. I just make a restore point before doing so, and if necessary, go back to the restore point just created.

Archived