Does Orbx FTX Work on Windows 8

dajar1

I have just purchased the other day FTX AU full Australia download from Flight sim store but cant install it, even the freeware stuff from the main fullterrain site. i get constant errors, So i'm wondering is it compatible on windows 8 i just cant download again due to my internet usage at the moment untill next month, any other tips would help i posted about this the other day. But know one has helped me out yet

I'm using all of the Orbx products fine with Windows 8.

Same rules apply with Orbx installations, always make sure you "Run as Administrator" your Orbx Installers.

Something you may be running into is Windows 8 UAC. Make sure that you have installed FSX outside of the \Program Files\ folder. For example install FSX to C:\FSX or C:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X instead of C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator X.

Windows 8 UAC cannot be fully disabled without editing the registry, and with FSX installed into the \Program Files\ folder, Windows 8 will not allow many addons access to the files they need to modify within the FSX folder without the registry tweak (including Orbx installers and FTX Central). The registry tweak that disabled Enable_LUA also breaks all Windows 8 Metro Apps functionality, so it is important that instead of resorting to modifying the registry that you just install FSX outside of UAC protected folders.

thank you guys heaps I will defently try reinstalling in a diffrenet place out side of the program files folder but saidly i have to wait untill my internet uages resets next month due to both FSX and FTX AU are both digital products, only 4 days or something untill it resest, I will let you guys know what happens then

Just to make sure I communicated it correctly to you dajar1, so I'm not feeling responsible for breaking your system. So, to be crystal clear...

1. You do not need to disable Windows 8 UAC completely in order to use FSX and addons, just make sure to install FSX and all addons outside of the \Program Files\ folder.

2. If you want to keep your current installation that resides within the \Program Files\ folder, then you could try disabling Windows 8 UAC (search for "Windows 8 UAC Enable_LUA" in any internet search engine) to see if it clears up your problems, but it will break your Metro App functionality (they will not work at all!) and I won't be held responsible for any other problems that arise from disabling Enable_LUA.

Archived