Orbx england problem

Ashley Jones

I too have this problem. I cant see why you cant just attempt to fix it as switching FTX off and then rerunning GEX set-up is very annoying for taking a trip outside the UK.

I'm sorry, After further research I can see you all are working on it. I very, eagerly await a prospective fix :).

Hello!

Sorry to ask this, but can you point me to simple (step by step) instructions for GEX users in how to turn UK on and off correctly?

Thanks!

PS. I own multiple regions but this is the first time that I have realized that you "can't" fly outside the areas. I'm not saying that the info isn't avalable out there, I'm just saying that something like this wouldn't have even crossed my mind.

Hello Cal,

I have a strange feeling that FTX Global will not fix similar problems mentioned in the first post by Ashley. To back this up, here is my finding from yesterday:

I did a test flight from KBLI to KSKA. Both are part of the NA detailed regions I have installed.

The default FSX version of KSKA is extremely basic, no buildings and basic textures. What I'm trying to say is that it is very easy to notice when NA region is applied and when default FSX is used.

Here comes the "strange" part:

When I arrived at KSKA, all the FTX buildings and enhancements were in place BUT the terrain was "sunken" around the runway and taxiways. The same effect as in the first post on this thread.

I went to the FTX Central and sure enough, I had Europe applied instead of NA! When I applied NA and went back to KSKA, all the terrain problems were gone.

Based on this, I would say that you can't fly between FTX's continents (Europe/London -> North America/Seattle) without artifacts. This is why I have a feeling that FTX global will not fix these problems.

- Jarkko

Hello,

I would like to bump up this topic.

Mainly based on the two post above: Will Global "fix" terrain problems (similar to the first post) when:

a) Flying from FTX UK region to non FTX region

B) Flying from FTX UK region to FTX North America region?

Thank you for the help!

- Jarkko

• 2 months later...

The default FSX version of KSKA is extremely basic, no buildings and basic textures. What I'm trying to say is that it is very easy to notice when NA region is applied and when default FSX is used.

Here comes the "strange" part:

When I arrived at KSKA, all the FTX buildings and enhancements were in place BUT the terrain was "sunken" around the runway and taxiways. The same effect as in the first post on this thread.

I went to the FTX Central and sure enough, I had Europe applied instead of NA! When I applied NA and went back to KSKA, all the terrain problems were gone.

- Jarkko

Hello!

Have you managed to look at the problem where FTX UK causes problems with other FTX regions?

Thanks!

First of all, thank you for the answer!

Well this is kind of a shame. I even bought Wales, but haven't installed it yet, as I was waiting for a fix.

I can "sort of" understand there would be some issues with other products, but having FTX regions that are not compatible with each other, seems quite weird. At least there was no mention about this in the manuals.

As you mentioned that this has been "argued about", I have to see if I can find related posts. Unfortunately Gobal is way over my budget as I spent that money on UK and Wales (which I can't use at the moment).

Thank you again for the answer!

Not sure why you would purchase Wales and not install it, since it works perfectly fine with FTX England (ensure you install the service packs for both at http://fullterrain.com/support.html)

As has been the case since 2008, FTX regions have been designed to be self contained scenery areas in their world regions (North America, Oceania, Europe) and the user guide recommends switching FTX Central to Default when flying outside an Orbx region. This did not change for FTX England so I am not sure where the expectation has come from that you can fly/from and Orbx FTX region without switching.

FTX Global does not 'fix' this issue, rather it just replaces the FSX default textures with new Orbx FTX ones which eliminates the effects of switching to Default.

Marking this topic Answered.

Hi guys,

I have brought this thread to the attention of the FTX England developers (SIM720) ...

Thank you!

Not sure why you would purchase Wales and not install it, since it works perfectly fine with FTX England (ensure you install the service packs for both at http://fullterrain.com/support.html)

... I am not sure where the expectation has come from that you can fly/from and Orbx FTX region without switching. ...

FTX Global does not 'fix' this issue ...

Marking this topic Answered.

First, thank you for the answer!

About Wales, I have (too) many plugins that have to have their internal database updated after changes have been made to scenery.cfg (EFB, FSFK, ProATC, FSC, AirHauler, ...). This is why I tend to avoid installing anything that might get an update in the near future. To update my current situation, I installed Wales  last night (plus patches for both) as EGFF was a perfect fit for my new AirHauler base :)

To answer the question: "where the expectation has come from that you can fly/from and Orbx FTX region without switching", for me it comes from the fact, that I bought all of the NA in one sitting. The covered NA are might have been so large, that I have stayed always within FTX NA area -> Haven't had any problems.

When I started flying in and out of UK, was the first time I started seeing "problems" with the terrain. (95% of my AirHauler flights are in/out of the region, instead on within current EU coverage.) As I hadn't seen any terrain problems with NA, I thought it would be worth reporting.

For some reason, I had gotten the assumption that region switching is only done to save FSX doing calculations on areas you won't be flying in (something similar to the day/night lighting optimization). Now I know better, but still have to learn more about the "lookup.bgl" files as I haven't quite yet understood the concept.

Again, thank you for the answers and help!

- Jarkko

EDIT: I just read the excellent post "June update" and it cleared a huge amount of misunderstandings I had :)

Archived