BETA Shots 14-Jan-08 - Autogen buildings

Quick answers:

- Buildings are still only placeholder textures. They are a temporary variant of my 2005 VOZ autogen building textures, but I'm far from happy with those. Final textures will offer much more detail.

- Trees are from VOZ, although they seem to work very well. We have taken over 1000 actual photos of Australian trees which Matt Tomkins will convert to our final tree set.

- The housing and trees are individually placed and scaled (yes, every single one - it's a painstakingly gruelling task, just ask my poor fingers ...), and yes, the scale is much more true to life than the default as a result.

We're using a few autogen "tricks" to give the impression of scale, and also add sheds, barns and sports auditoriums using standard autogen placement and thus avoid custom library models. A lot of the houses will be made up from 3-4 composite autogen houses stuck together, so we avoid a city full of "boxes". Now you will see large houses with garages off to the side, mansions with wings etc. etc. It's not quite as elegant as individual models but far more FPS friendly and from 500FT AGL you really can't tell the difference.

This is looking pretty sweet...... Is this all part of FTX when it gets released for each region this auto gen trees and buildings? Or is this another program we buy to add to the package?

Ever heard the steak knife TV commercials?  :);)

BUT THAT'S NOT ALL!!!

Yes, everything you see is included in every region for Australia. Autogen trees and building will also apply to all FTX regions. Also for Australia we include brand new roads, railways, fencelines, dirt roads, walking trails and custom coastlines and some inland rivers and lakes; however for the USA UTX already does that so we will probably defer to that product for those extras.

SCALE. I love that word when used in conjunction with FS scenery because up until now its been horribly wrong, no real attention paid to it before. But now it has, finally, and the results speak for themselves. I can see the ACES team using this scenery for FSXI. 

Archived