EGSG Grass Runways

Andrew 737

Can the grass runways at EGSG be looked at please?

I really like all three Eng Airports (they are beautiful) but even though the textures for EGHR and EGKA are lower quality than EGSG I prefer the other 2 a lot more. When very low on landing at EGSG the textures spoil the immersion a little bit - I would like to reiterate everything else is lovely though.

I would really be interested if anyone feels the same?

Hi Phil

I posted some screenshots that were looked at by Russ - he said they were perfectly normal and that was due to the images he had. I'm happy it's not an issue, I just can't get used to them.

I'm talking very low level here.

See this thread http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/54415-egsg-blurry-ground-textures/page__pid__483742#entry483742

Thanks

The texture resolution at EGSG on the ground is higher than that of EGHR.

With EHGR Orbx was able to purchase imagery at 15cm which is usable for airport ground textures, however at EGSG the maximum available resolution was 30cm which is twice as blurry as 15cm! so i synthetically created the grass and runways and concrete surfaces to 11cm resolution which is more crisp than that of EGHR at 15cm, so i am not sure what you are comparing?

Russ.

Hi Russ

Sorry to bring this up again - EGKA has given me food for thought on the subject.

With the Coarse bmp map setting via FTX aero, the effect and feel of the runways at EGHR is nice.

At EGSG I don't notice any effect with this setting. I think for me it's the colours at EGSG that I can't get used to. The contrast between the darker and lighter colours makes the resolution stand out I think - where as at EGHR this contrast is not present and so I don't notice the lower res there.

Does this make any sense to you? If not i will take more time to explain better.

Andrew

EGHR has no ground poly, which means your FTX Aero setting will affect the whole airport ground (not good in my mind as it treats the hard surface and grass surface with the same detail map) where as EGSG and most other Orbx airports have a ground poly, which has it's own detail map applied independant of the FTX Aero setting. Hope that makes sense.

It's not a case of fixing anything, it's a design choice based on the type and configuration of the airport, not all Orbx airports are designed in the same way and the choice is based on what we have to work with at the time of development. So it's a case of understanding it is the way it is.

As for the colours, the synthetic 11cm ground textures have been coloured to match exactly the real ground colours at EGSG based on aerial photography, so the tonal differences are there in real life.

Russ.

Hi Russ

Clearly you have understood my last reply. I completely understand your explanation and thank you for taking the time to write it.

Like I said in my previous posts the airport is really nice; this post is about my personal opinion with regards the ground and therefore something I will just have to get used to - which in time I will do.

No one else is bothered about it so it seems its just me. I sincerely hope I have not demotivated you in any way.

Thanks

Hi Andrew,

We strive to produce the best ground imagery possible given what we can license from suppliers. In this case it was 30cm/pixel which although great from 100-500ft can be a bit blocky at ground level. So you will have noticed Russ added a ground poly to sit over the top of the blocky textures, which added much better definition grass where it matters, ie. the two and a half grass runways. Typically if you only use the three runways, taxiway and not much else you will never encounter the original 30cm blocky textures. Russ also strategically placed grasses to shield the view from the cockpit. So in essence you are reporting what you see possibly because you have slewed or taxied off the intended paths which may destroy the illusion of higher definition from the ground poly.

The recommended bump map to use from FTX Aero (from the FTX Central "tools" menu) is "Coarse". Selecting this bump map adds a lot more detail even to blocky ground textures.

What I will ask Russ to do for future grass strips is to perhaps extend his more detailed grass textures to all areas where customers are likely to taxi their aircraft.

Hi JV

Thank you for your consideration. I really appreciate the fact that you guys care even if it is only me who mentioned it.

I will have a play around with the bump map - suppose the bump map is already selected (I use it for my other 2 fields) and I proceed to install EGKA (which I did) would I then have to set the bump map to default and then back to coarse to 'overwrite' what was just installed (which I have NOT done)?

Archived