No Bridges - England ?

Timm

Hi,

Just a very small question. I have just taken off from Sywell Airport in Northamptonshire and travels north towards Kettering and the famous A14 I notice that there are no bridges at all, all traffic going over the top, I then headed west towards the M1 and again noticed no bridges. Is this correct? I know to add bridges would be a major task. I'm going to enjoy this addon scenery.

This shot is from a Motorway (I think) close to Stapleford

Posted Image

I've seen the same, surely there's a tool to add these in easily?

Hope bridges and all the little niggles aren't included in the Wales scenery, would be a shame to have to wait for a service pack while the same niggles as England are sorted.

Anyway, I have a lot of faith in John and his team to be able to get by all of them.

Cheers,

Matt.

Hi,

all extrusion bridges are done manually one at a time (very time consuming), the picture above would never have a bridge placed there it would look wrong because there isn't enough of a dip for it to fit right.

There are bridges in England, mainly the one that cross rivers or valleys.

Paul

Ok i will try and explain a bit better why it won't be changed.

- The sheer number of bridges.

- Every road marked as a bridge has to be checked if there's really a model required.

- Every extrusion bridge has to be checked in FSX again to see if it's aligned correctly to the mesh and if not adjusted and checked again.

- Traffic cannot go over AND under the bridge. So the traffic of each road that is crossed by a bridge needs to be cut manually.

I have been told there are 23,506 bridges that don't have extrusion bridges placed and you can place a maximum of 30-50 extrusion bridges a day, I'll let you do the maths on that :)

Also to address the point of "see a flat roadway" that would be just as much if not more work.

Paul

I've seen the same, surely there's a tool to add these in easily?

That would be nice, yes, but there isn't. Just to let me add some info to what Paul already wrote:

"Problem" is that we have a really detailed mesh terrain in England making every little ditch visible and the lack of overpass bridges more apparent. As you have seen in Paul's comment there is no way to add so many bridges manually while keeping the level of quality you are used to from ORBX.

Despite that it's certainly possible that we add a few more of the bridges you're missing most. Just mark them in Google Earth, save the placemarks in a KMZ file, and upload them here. From there we will see what can be done in addition.

Hope bridges and all the little niggles aren't included in the Wales scenery...

In percentage terms we placed more of them in Wales than in England. But that's just the case because the area is much smaller and has just a fraction of the bridges England has.

Bests,

Sascha

That would be nice, yes, but there isn't. Just to let me add some info to what Paul already wrote:

"Problem" is that we have a really detailed mesh terrain in England making every little ditch visible and the lack of overpass bridges more apparent. As you have seen in Paul's comment there is no way to add so many bridges manually while keeping the level of quality you are used to from ORBX.

Despite that it's certainly possible that we add a few more of the bridges you're missing most. Just mark them in Google Earth, save the placemarks in a KMZ file, and upload them here. From there we will see what can be done in addition.

In percentage terms we placed more of them in Wales than in England. But that's just the case because the area is much smaller and has just a fraction of the bridges England has.

Bests,

Sascha

Thanks for the information Sascha. I understand exactly where you're coming from with what you're saying about the bridges, but as Dave said above, would it be possible for bridges to be added in the next Service Pack, or one in the future?

I'm also over the moon with the talk about how much detail is being put into FTX Wales! It makes me happy, the way that you scale up or down the level of detail you go into with larger or smaller areas of Scenery. To me it makes sense to do this, therefore the scenery is released in around the same time scale as every other add-on.

Thanks to everyone for posting on here,

Cheers,

Matt.

Runcorn Bridge over the River Mersey would be nice for VFR in this area!

Please attach a Google Earth KMZ file showing the exact position of the bridge as stated further above. Just to make sure we're talking about the same bridge.

Edit:

Sorry, Paul just advised me that customers can't attach files to posts. My bad, I didn't know what. Still it would be nice to get the coordinates for every bridge that should be added. Here's how it goes:

- Look for the bridge you mean in Google Earth.

- Put a placemark there. In the properties window you will see the coordinates. Copy them into your post as shown here:

Runcorn Bridge:

53.346031°

-2.738299°

@ anfield:

The Runcorn bridge (if we are talking about the same one) should already be there, shouldn't it? Just without the white steelframe on top - that would require an entirely new 3D model.

Bests,

Sascha

Hi Sascha,

Yes, you are correct, I should have been more clearer, the bridge is there, just not modelled correctly. As you say the upper steel framing would make the bridge stand out (as does the original in FSX!), which means that the Orbx bridge would need to be remodelled in its current position.

Sorry for not being clearer.

Mal...

• 4 months later...

Hi Sascha,

Yes, you are correct, I should have been more clearer, the bridge is there, just not modelled correctly. As you say the upper steel framing would make the bridge stand out (as does the original in FSX!), which means that the Orbx bridge would need to be remodelled in its current position.

Sorry for not being clearer.

Mal...

So does this mean we wont be getting a modelled Runcorn Bridge as in the default FSX scenery ?..I've heard and read alot of ppl comment on this, it is a major bridge for that area.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived