Petition for renaming of Canberra airport

johnfromoz

I don't know that it's usual to raise these matters here, but I'll put this to you as an aviation-history-related item for consideration, no obligation!

A young Aussie, Eve Cogan, has an on-line petition to have our Federal capital, Canberra's airport named in honour of of David Warren. The world might not know it but he invented the "black box" for aircraft. She has already got the support of Capt. Sully (hero of the Hudson River water landing) and Capt. DeCrespigny (who handled a damaged Qantas A380 to safety.)

Her petition is at

http://www.change.or...tm_medium=email

Her recent release about support from two famous pilots is at

http://www.evecogan....tm_medium=email

I am sure Eve would be glad of all the support she can get! I am pleased to see young folk showing such an interest in their community and their history.

Sorry. Canberra is Canberra for me.. I don't like messing with Airport names. Just my opinion, no offense meant. Teecee.

Yes, at least you know where you are going. In the UK, we've renamed quite a number, but to those who are unfamilar with, or disinterested in, local culture and history its completely pointless. If you aren't au fait with football, where is George Best airport ? Born in the nineties...where is John Lennon airport ? And which city is served by Robin Hood airport ? ( Respectively... Belfast City, Liverpool and finally, you would think its Nottingham airport, but no, its Doncaster. ) Its all a bit daft really, but hey, local councilors have justified their existence, and money has been spent on Image Consultants ! Hallelujah !

I don't know if naming it is on the cards anyway. I'd prefer it named for someone like this than for someone unrelated to aviation (as much as we may love Louis Armstrong, John Lennon or John Wayne). Or, heaven forbid, a politician! ???

I don't know if naming it is on the cards anyway. I'd prefer it named for someone like this than for someone unrelated to aviation (as much as we may love Louis Armstrong, John Lennon or John Wayne). Or, heaven forbid, a politician! ???

Totally agree with that. I also agree with the confusion the name could cause... However, it could be called Canberra Warren Airport, just like we have Cleveland Hopkins airport here in Ohio. So named after it's founder William Hopkins.

Thanks all, for support and for opinions in both directions. Eve had a call from the airport manager (blogged here) in which, among other things, he pointed out that the black box is associated with air crashes, not a thing to remind customers about who are nervous of flying. I'd sell it as "the man who helped make your trip so safe"!

He admits he also thought of renaming it to "John Howard Airport" (a past Prime Minister). As far as I am concerned, that's a good reason for Eve's petition. Regardless of politics, if names are being proposed, lets stick to aviation personalities. In other words, let Eve get first dibs on the name!

Canberra Warren Airport ... not what's one to sell the company!

And at least the manager had spoken to other airports and airlines. Plan B might be naming an airport road, another airport, or a plane, though I hardly think Qantas will want to remind passengers about crashes.

hi.the black box has saved many lives since it's introduction.the airport should be named after the inventor.imho...cheers Bill

exactly, flight data is recorded and analysed as routine these days, thousands of parameters assist companies monitor statistics, trends and help improve procedures and piloting. A simple example would be analysing data to know why tailstrikes have been occurring and introduce improved training or improved techniques. It's all about assessing incidents and preventing accidents. As usual the black box has become mediatised to the extent that it is associated with bad news, a bit like jaws and sharks (perhaps a bad example for australians, I know). I am sure for that reason we don't call it the 'black box' anymore (only on the TV) - this is old hat, apart from the fact that it isn't black anyway.

Archived