Wrong textures outside of England, post patch.

Dr_Watson

I don't mean to be rude but I strongly believe it's the EU version of lclookup.bgl that causes the problem (because it's gone when I use the NA version or the default one).

Of course landclass sceneries such as Ultimate Terrain Europe multiply the effect. But even with all third party landclass and other add-ons disabled I still get this south of Rome (N41.675813 E12.336447).

Posted Image

Ciderman, this is what I see above Rome with FTX Central set to Europe. I don't have UTX and this is MS scenery.

Peter

Posted Image

Rome

Ciderman, this is what I see above Rome with FTX Central set to Europe. I don't have UTX and this is MS scenery.

Peter

Hi Peter,

That's a different perspective. Please go to my coordinates (SW of your position) and a heading of 38°. I suppose you should see blocky land tiles there. But you never know because FSX is a complex beast.

I don't mean to be rude but I strongly believe it's the EU version of lclookup.bgl that causes the problem (because it's gone when I use the NA version or the default one).

Of course landclass sceneries such as Ultimate Terrain Europe multiply the effect. But even with all third party landclass and other add-ons disabled I still get this south of Rome (N41.675813 E12.336447).

Posted Image

Your not being rude but this is what i see

post-17521-0-38972300-1358796090_thumb.j

Paul

Paul, and I also checked NL2000 scenery with FTX Central set to Europe. This is the first time that I checked NL2000 with the latest ENG Patch. Before I set FTX Central to Default when I fly wit NL2000.

See the screenshot and everything looks OK with the scenery.

Peter

Posted Image

NL2000 near EHTE Teuge

Posted Image

EHTE Teuge airport from above

Your not being rude but this is what i see

Then there may be a compatibility issue between the EU version of lclookup.bgl and the GEX texture set. The funny thing is I have absolutely no issues with the NA version of lclookup.bgl.

This is just an educated guess but is it possible that the number of blend masks of certain textures have been tempered with? 8)

Then there may be a compatibility issue between the EU version of lclookup.bgl and the GEX texture set. The funny thing is I have absolutely no issues with the NA version of lclookup.bgl.

This is just an educated guess but is it possible that the number of blend masks of certain textures have been tempered with? 8)

That is one possible answer, the NA version modifies different textures to what the EU version does.

As you can guess finding what is causing the difference is hard enough on its own but add in other non orbx products and it becomes extremely hard and very time consuming.

Paul

I'm afraid the Dubai issue exists for me too - Patch/Service Pack 1 installed which DOES clear up alot of issues I saw previously (& thank you very much for that I must add)

These shots with FTX set to Europe:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

These 5 taken with FTX set to Default:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I don't know if this has been noticed/picked up/mentioned before, or even if it's relevant, but these texture anomalies seem to "swim" (excuse the pun) and "shift" i.e. the texture doesn't always remain constant and can/does morph between the zoomed out water effect, and that thin stripy land texture, when you pan around - press "Y" to slew....and just remain still but pan around the aircraft to see if it happens?!?!

Regards

Steve

Paul

I run:

Ultimate Terrain Europe

Ground Environment Europe

Ground Environment Africa/Middle East

SceneryTech Africa landclass

SceneryTech Asia landclass

The first 5 shots above were takern with the SceneryTech landclass (for both Asia & Africa) both enabled AND disabled - it didn't make a difference and the anomalies appeared regardless. It was only when setting FTX to default that it cleared up !?!?

Can I ask a simple (he says !!) question - you seem to have solved the issues i had in Africa (Kigali, Rwanda specifically - I posted some screenies of the texture issue but also the blue/cyan buildings)......what causes this problem that you can fix one area, but not another???

Regards (& thanks for help with this....it is appreciated)

Steve

Paul

I run:

Ultimate Terrain Europe

Ground Environment Euroipe

Ground Environment Africa/Middle East

SceneryTech Africa landclass

SceneryTech Asia landclass

The first 5 shots above were takern with the ScenryTech landclass (for both Asia & Africa) both enabled AND disabled - it didn't make a difference and the anomalies appeared regardless. It was only when setting FTX to default that it cleared up !?!?

Can I ask a simple (he says !!) question - you seem to have solved the issues i had in Africa (Kigali, Rwanda specifically - I posted some screenies of the texture issue but also the blue/cyan buildings)......what causes this problem that you can fix one area, but not another???

Regards (& thanks for help with this....it is appreciated)

Steve

Thanks for that.

working theory for now is its a compatibility issue between Orbx Europe and GEX but not sure why yet.

As for a simple question ::) the blue/cyan buildings were just a missing autogen texture sheet and the other issue was caused by calling a none existent texture, i just changed what texture it called and that fixed it.

Paul

Is the Dubai issue linked to the Tenerife issue then (I also have the issue at GTCS).

I might be wrong but I seem to remember being told that Tenerife/Canary Islands is/are in Africa (in FSX terms/geography/regions) and therefore would explain why GEX Africa/Middle East might contribute to the FTX Europe issue in both Dubai (Middle East) & Tenerife (Africa)?!?

Regards

Steve

Is the Dubai issue linked to the Tenerife issue then (I also have the issue at GTCS).

I might be wrong but I seem to remember being told that Tenerife/Canary Islands is/are in Africa (in FSX terms/geography/regions) and therefore would explain why GEX Africa/Middle East might contribute to the FTX Europe issue in both Dubai (Middle East) & Tenerife (Africa)?!?

Regards

Steve

A good chance the 2 are linked yes.

I do believe that Tenerife is class as being in africa in fsx terms.

Paul

Thanks for that.

working theory for now is its a compatibility issue between Orbx Europe and GEX but not sure why yet.

As for a simple question ::) the blue/cyan buildings were just a missing autogen texture sheet and the other issue was caused by calling a none existent texture, i just changed what texture it called and that fixed it.

Paul

just for your info Paul, i get a similar picture and the only things i have installed apart from FTX England are a couple of add on airports, one of them being FlyTampa's Dubai rebooted (funnily enough, the area covered by that add on isnt eefected by this little problem).

Correct, that is the limitations of FSX that we are getting around with FTX Central.

However, we are looking into a common set of modified files for both FTX Global and the full-featured FTX regions so you don't have to use FTX Central to switch regions anymore. That project will take some months though, so bear with us.

So let's hope these months go fast :)

I think I have narrowed down the blocky landclass problem to one single landclass:

Value 56 Forest and Field

Texture 078

I even copied the original (non-GEX) textures back to the World\Texture folder but to no avail. Any ideas?

how did you find that?

i can confirm we use/modified class 56 but its texture is not 078 its 071h

Paul

After 'downgrading' FSX to its original files (which was a rather tedious procedure) I found the issue was still there (despite the original texture, lclookup and terrain.cfg files). So I checked out worldlc.bgl with TMFViewer to find out which landclass still produced the effect. Then I went through Scenery\World\Texture to find the specific texture. I'm pretty sure it is texture 078n2 in the Mediterranean area (it might be 071 somewhere else).

My educated guess ::) is you assigned texture maps to that class and now wherever landclass 56 is used FSX tries to locate the appropriate m-files. However, by default there are none and the result is probably what I see in the second screenshot.

Of course this does not explain why you cannot reproduce the effect. So in addition there must be something I miss.

This is exactly the same spot south of Rome: the first picture shows the area with either the default or the NA version of lclookup.bgl (it does not make a difference here), the second one with EU lclookup.bgl being active (I even copied it manually to make sure no other changes are made):

Posted Image

Posted Image

I think I'm on the right track. 078n2 has no texture maps by default and seems to be the trouble maker. This is a screenshot of your 70 m-files posing as 78n2 m-files. The problem hasn't yet been resolved but reduced. Will I get a free present if I come up with a full solution? ;D

The fact that you can't reproduce it still puzzles me.

Posted Image

Allow me to step in here.

We never intended FTX Central to be set active to an Orbx FTX region while you flew in the Middle East, or Rome, or anywhere else outside an Orbx region for that matter.

We now seem to have a feeding frenzy of anomalies supposedly caused by FTX England when in fact the Orbx User Guides have explained for the past five years to set FTX Central to default when flying outside an Orbx region.

So .. Many thanks for the screenshots and reports but those are quite futile with regards to a solution, because there is none. We have deliberately repurposed lclookup.bgl to create brand new classes not present in default FSX. It is this reengineering of the core FSX limitations that allows us to create the FTX regions as they appear today. So giving us specific examples of texture class numbers is meaningless, since what 078 represents in FSX default has zero bearing on what it represents in FTX.

Will FTX Global fix this? Yes, of course! But only if you embrace it as the new defacto texture standard for the whole world and retire other landclass based scenery texture addons.

In the meantime, there is not a lot we can do for the FTX England lclookup.bgl mods intruding on areas outside England in the short term. We may be able to make it less intrusive like the NA regions are.

So I will lock this topic since reports of texture corruptions outside of England are expected behaviour unless you set FTX Central to Default.

Archived