Frame rates

Krono

Hi everyone

I have been watching the forums for a while now trying to glean as much info as possible.....which by the way there is heaps here.

Since first installing FSX I have not been impressed with the frame rates I have been able to get...no surprise there.

I have slowly rebuilt my computer so that all that is left from the original now is the case

My specs are  Vista Home Premium 32bit  (64 bit on the way)

AMD Phenom X4 9950 Black Edition (unclocked..only installed today)

Gigabyte MA790GP-DS4H motherboard  AM2+ board

8 gig ram

Soundblaster XFI Fatallity edition

Leadtek GTX 280 graphics card

track iR4 pro

Saitek yoke and pedals

nostromo n52 pad

G15 keyboard

2 screens  32cm hd screen

18cd hd screen

850W Pyramid power supply

TMG A1 thermaltake heatsink

Today I installed the motherboard and new processor, previously I was running an overclocked AMD 4600+ dual core which was achieving approx 5fps in FTX

with most things set to an average of medium to high. Expecting a large boost I sat back and turned on FTX (I must admit I did turn bloom on for this)...however my smile quickly slipped when I only got frame rates of 4.5 fps  which was worse than before...considering the cpu is now AMDs premium 4 core chip at 3.2Ghz I would of expected more. Has anyone else used this cpu or have any suggestions for the low frame rate.

Thanks in advance      :-\

Hi there,

I am sure you are aware that 32bit wont use 8gb Ram, I gather thats why 64 bit is on the way? Is the RAM DDR2 or 3?

I have only ever seen 5-10fps in FTX at YMML with everything on ULTRA and a bit more(with all YMML full features turned on and none of the manual tweaks).

FTX frame rates should be 20's and up with your rig.

To put your mind at rest I purchased 3 x cpu, 3 x 8800 gfx cards  GT,GTs,GTX, different MOBO's and Fast RAM. I wasted lots of dosh and have a big credit card bill to pay but the best upgrade for me was switching to Vista 64bit.

It never runs out of memory and gave me a more fluid experience.

Personally I would wait for the 64 bit, do a brand new re-install and FTX will literally Fly, To me it's the fatest running scenery i have ever experienced.

I'm no expert but i hope it helps

cheers

Jas

Thanks for your answers

I will have a look into the resources in use...most are by Vista though

I also made one mistake in my write up... There is only 4 gig of ram DDR2 800 (since AMD dosnt do DDR3) I wil be updating to 8 gig 1600 DDR2 when the 64 bit disc arrives.  It must of been on my mind.

I will look into the suggestions and see what I can do.

At the moment I am trnasferinf FSX and all associated programs to its own drive.  ::)

Did you install FSX's own service pack one ?  (SP1).

Have you installed the mother board drivers ?

And installed the latest video card drivers from their website, not the drivers you get free with the video card, these are often way out of date.

Is the Ram set to the correct timings and is the Ram set to the correct voltage in the Bios?

Do you need a Bios update, on new motherboards Bios updates can come thick and fast for the first few months of release.

Can you play other demanding games with or without problems ?

:)

Did you install FSX's own service pack one ?  (SP1).

[glow=red,2,300]This only applies for FTXAU_Blue v1.0 that was released BEFORE MAY 15th, 2008 !!![/glow]

after that date the FTXAU_Blue v1.1 has those included so NO need to install sp1 ;)

I did not say FTX SP1 for AUBLUE, but FSX - Microsofts Flight Simulator X service pack one.  SP1 improved framerates and them later come the service pack 2 SP2 both for FSX.  I never mentioned FTX sp1 ??   ;)

So your saying that FTX AUBLUE 1.1 has Microsofts Flight Sim X service pack one ( SP1 ) in it now ?         ???

:)

Thanks for your answers

I will have a look into the resources in use...most are by Vista though

I also made one mistake in my write up... There is only 4 gig of ram DDR2 800 (since AMD dosnt do DDR3) I wil be updating to 8 gig 1600 DDR2 when the 64 bit disc arrives.  It must of been on my mind.

I will look into the suggestions and see what I can do.

At the moment I am trnasferinf FSX and all associated programs to its own drive.  ::)

If Vista resources is a problem, your friend is AlacrityPC.  IT shuts down everything you don't need for FSX, then starts it all back up when FSX is closed.

http://alacritypc.kensalter.com/

So your saying that FTX AUBLUE 1.1 has Microsofts Flight Sim X service pack one ( SP1 ) in it now ?         ???

What gave you that idea ?

I merely wanted to warn NOT to install the SP1 for blue after the released version from may 15th onwards, as for SP's for fsX I can highly advice to get SP1 and 2 for fsx as FTX is build with the SP2 released materials.

And as far as I know ORBX wil never include MS SP's as that would be a licence infringement.

Ummm you did.  LOL

I asked if he had installed FSX Sp1 and you wrote:

--------------------------------------------------------

This only applies for FTXAU_Blue v1.0 that was released BEFORE MAY 15th, 2008 !!!

after that date the FTXAU_Blue v1.1 has those included so NO need to install sp1

---------------------------------------------------------

It think you may have "seen" FTX where it was really FSX.  LOL

I was talking about the SP1 for the Flight sim FSX .  Not Sp1 for FTX.

go back up a few posts and see the mixx up.  LOL

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts and inputs.

I have been working on the putter for the last couple of days and now get approx 15 to 24fps with everything set to ultimate plus higher in some cases.

I dont think I can complain about that.

One thing though..before installing FTX I tried a program called tile proxy (uses google etc for maps). When I took this off the other day the frame rates increased quite a bit. I also had FSX GA traffic set with the wrong type of planes ,ie high res craft which also killed the frame rate .

Thanks again for being patient.  I will also have a look at the alacrity program to see what its like.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone

just as a note..

I have changed over to 64 bit vista and didnt really see a lot of difference..nice to add another 4 gig of ram though  ::)

A big change however was in programing the GT280 video card to take over a lot of the settings from the graphics setup in FSX. I have found a large increase in fps with a lot higher settings in the graphics and not having to shut down any services in Vista.

Thought you might like to know.. for example  The new Melbourne International with high settings and still gettig 15 to 20 fps

I had low frame rate problems with my GTX260 which were solved by AlacrityPC. I read somewhere that you should delete your FSX.cfg file if you install a new vid card. I gave that a try yesterday and my problem seems to have been solved to some extent! I recommend you try deleting FSX.cfg, when you start FSX it will rebuild the file with your new card in mind. I do now have problems running in anything but fullscreen, but things are certainly on the improve!

I read somewhere that you should delete your FSX.cfg file if you install a new vid card.

IF you install a new Vidcard :

if you just exchange the Vidcard and do not delete :

a. the old drivers

b. the fsX.cfg,

you will have a bunch of problems that really can frustrate the hell out of you as you don't know where to start searching for the cause of the problems you have.

All important is to work methodically and have all needed things at hand BEFORE doing this type of exercises !

manuals

Drivers

Tools

eventual extra cabling needed for the card

and all but non unimportant, read the manual FIRST, so you allready have an idea of what's needed to bring the thing to a good end.

It wouldn't be the first Vidcard and/or system that got fryed this way

make sure you have the latest drivers for that particular Vidcard stored on your system ready to use when needed further down the track !

BACKUP your fsX.cfg and delete the original

in sequential order :

1st. delete the old Vidcard via your Device Manager from your system !

2nd. delete the Vidcard drivers via your software control panel (add or remove programs)!

3rd. run a Reg Cleaner this to make sure all references to the old Vidcard are gone from the registry ! (Drivercleaner springs to mind)

4th. shutdown the system

5th. make sure you're well earthed to the system or make bloody sure you got no potential energy differences.

6th. exchange the Vidcard, check that external power leads are properly connected and the card is properly seated in it's position !

7th. fire up the system

8th. when the system fires up it will tell you it has found "New Hardware" and it wants to install the drivers, tell it NOT.

9th. get the latest drivers where you parked them and install them.

10th. reboot the system, most drivers wil ask that anyway.

11th. go to the Vidcard controlpanel and enter your prefered settings.

fly happy ever after

Archived