FSX/ORBX won't load correctly

VivJan

Hi, FSX has been showing signs of misbehaving, i.e slow loading, low frame rates when running, but today it refuses to load ORBX, it gets as far as the first page to choose aircraft, airport etc then just hangs, when trying to close the program microsoft reports an error, if you choose "find solution & close" it waits a minute then closes the program. FSX seems to load default correctly i.e trike spinning round & airports can be changed etc.

We would appreciate any help

Thanks Viv & Jan

Hi Viv & Jan,

did you install our GA AI traffic files for North America? There were some issues with it that got fixed a few days ago: http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/53290-problem-with-ftx-na-ga-ai-traffic-v110/

If that's not it we need more information, specifically location, type of aircraft, dislpay settings, etc. Also, cross-check whether the problem goes away by cycyling FTX Central to Default.

Cheers, Holger

Hi, Holger, Thanks for your reply. We have re-installed the GA AI traffic file & can now run FSX

The scenario is: we are in NA with ORBX, then click to load FSX it gets to the 1st page where you can choose plane, airport etc & that page takes 5 minutes to load i.e the trike starts turning, until the trike starts turning we can't do anything.

Would we be right in thinking that a complete re-install of Windows, FSX & ORBX is in the very near future.

We were able to get FSX working in default a couple of days ago, but it hangs exactly the same (5mins+).

Thanks

Viv & Jan

Hi Viv & Jan,

by the sound of it something is indeed amiss there at your end, most simple option to get things resolved before going to drastic measures as a complete fsX re-install is,

if you have the Acceleration pack to first swtch FTX Central to default and then run the disc and select "repair"

with this it will restore fsX to it's original state, when you then switch back to NA you will have the FTX scenery active again.

if that doesn't do it than I'm afraid the total wipe out is last resort and start afresh

Hello Viv and Jan

This is just a quick copy, paste and found information I have gathered from various sources slapped together to answer your post.

A re-install should be your last resort assuming that you are sure you installed everything correctly first time around. May I make a few suggestions?

1) Post a brief summary of your PC specs in your sig'

2) Clean off your desktop as much as possible. Right click and "pin to taskbar" those programs that you use most frequently. The only items on your desktop should be the folders I talk about later in this guide.

This is a guide to explain how to start FSX depending on what programs you run in association with it. For Windows 7

1) You need to access some hidden folders on your PC. Go to your Control Panel/Folder

Options, and click on the View tab. I will make a list of what the menu should look like. Just go down the list and crosscheck what I list.....

blank

blank

check

blank

blank

blank

bullet

blank

blank

blank

blank

blank

check

blank

blank

blank

blank

check

blank

bullet

2) Place the following folders on your desktop

FSX Config Folder

a) C/Users/yourusername/Appdata/Roaming/Microsoft/FSX

Folder a) contains your "FSX config" file. Some people will rarely go to this file while others may make adjustments here more often. There are many things that can be edited or added but most are just rubbish however, there are (3 ) Three things that are essential.

1) if you are using a wide screen monitor you will need to edit the following line. Find the heading that shows:

[display]

WideViewAspect=False

and change it to read:

[display]

WideViewAspect=True

2) Microsoft forgot to include this update in the FSX patches/Acceleration. Look for the following heading and add the line below to look like this

[graphics]

HighMemFix=1

3) The following edited line will allow FSX to load quicker. Look for the heading called [Main] and add the following line to look like this

[main]

DisablePreload=1

DO NOT DELETE ANYTHING FROM THIS FOLDER !!!!!

C/Users/yourusername/Appdata/Local/Microsoft/FSX

FSX Folder

Before each flight open this folder and delete the "Shader" and the "Shaders10" folder. These folders contain "Cache Files". FSX will rebuild a new one when it is restarted. This eliminates corrupt files from running inside FSX which happens quite frequently.

c) C/Users/yourusername/Appdata/Local/Temp

Temp Folder

Before each flight open this folder and delete its contents. There will always be one file you cannot delete. This is a windows file, logging what you just did and will stay. Just press "skip".

Your desktop should have just a few folders on it including FSX Config, Temp, Nvidia Inspector, ( see note later) and Screenshots.

Do you have Shade installed?

You can start FSX by executing the "Shade" button

If you do not have "Shade" simply start FSX.

Once your sim has started go to the "locked" spot view and pan around in complete circles at least 4 times. This ensures loading all of the scenery vectors into the sim before you take off.

(if you fly in spot view always, always, always fly in "locked" spot.) This keeps your vertical refresh rate in check.

Weather

If your machine struggles somewhat I would suggest you start your flight with light weather until you are airborne and settled into your cruise. Then you can start your weather X. Most weather programs have a feature to disable weather updates while on approach to reduce risk of heavy loads and an unflyable FSX.

Nvidia Inspector

If you have a Nvidia video card please download this utility and place the unzipped folder on your desktop.

http://www.guru3d.co...r_download.html

Posted Image

ATI Cards

http://www.guru3d.co...1_download.html . I don't own ATI so you will have to ask others to post their settings.

So to summarize....

1) Empty the Temp folder.............C/Users/yourusername/Appdata/Local/Temp

2) Empty the Recycle Bin

3) Empty the FSX (cache) folder (delete the "Shaders" folder) FSX will build a new one................. C/Users/yourusername/Appdata/Local/Microsoft/FSX

4) Start FSX

5) Go to (locked) spot view and pan around 4 times.

6) Set up your flight and fly. ( when in outside view ALWAYS use "Locked Spot"!) This will ensure that your vertical sync is always true. To get the feel of the floating spot view hold your space bar and look around with your mouse.

I have found that by doing these few steps my flights are very smooth right from the start.

Hi & thanks to Holger & Chik. We have done everthing that you both suggested with the exception on installing NVidia Inspector, as not sure it will make any difference. The problem has shifted slightly, it now hangs for 5 minutes at the splash screen, instead of the selection screen. If you click on the hung screen it brings up an error box & says 1) Microsot has stopped working do you want to close or 2) look for a solution online. This message also appears when exiting the program.

Have taken off Ultimate traffic 2 as that wasn't running properly either.

Tried Holger's suggestions first & made sure to restart in between. Then had a go at Chik's suggestions.

Updated sig with system specs.

Thanks Viv & Jan

Hello Viv and Jan

This is just a quick copy, paste and found information I have gathered from various sources slapped together to answer your post.

A re-install should be your last resort assuming that you are sure you installed everything correctly first time around. May I make a few suggestions?

1) Post a brief summary of your PC specs in your sig'

2) Clean off your desktop as much as possible. Right click and "pin to taskbar" those programs that you use most frequently. The only items on your desktop should be the folders I talk about later in this guide.

This is a guide to explain how to start FSX depending on what programs you run in association with it. For Windows 7

1) You need to access some hidden folders on your PC. Go to your Control Panel/Folder

Options, and click on the View tab. I will make a list of what the menu should look like. Just go down the list and crosscheck what I list.....

blank

blank

check

blank

blank

blank

bullet

blank

blank

blank

blank

blank

check

blank

blank

blank

blank

check

blank

bullet

2) Place the following folders on your desktop

FSX Config Folder

a) C/Users/yourusername/Appdata/Roaming/Microsoft/FSX

Folder a) contains your "FSX config" file. Some people will rarely go to this file while others may make adjustments here more often. There are many things that can be edited or added but most are just rubbish however, there are (3 ) Three things that are essential.

1) if you are using a wide screen monitor you will need to edit the following line. Find the heading that shows:

[display]

WideViewAspect=False

and change it to read:

[display]

WideViewAspect=True

2) Microsoft forgot to include this update in the FSX patches/Acceleration. Look for the following heading and add the line below to look like this

[graphics]

HighMemFix=1

3) The following edited line will allow FSX to load quicker. Look for the heading called [Main] and add the following line to look like this

[main]

DisablePreload=1

DO NOT DELETE ANYTHING FROM THIS FOLDER !!!!!

C/Users/yourusername/Appdata/Local/Microsoft/FSX

FSX Folder

Before each flight open this folder and delete the "Shader" and the "Shaders10" folder. These folders contain "Cache Files". FSX will rebuild a new one when it is restarted. This eliminates corrupt files from running inside FSX which happens quite frequently.

c) C/Users/yourusername/Appdata/Local/Temp

Temp Folder

Before each flight open this folder and delete its contents. There will always be one file you cannot delete. This is a windows file, logging what you just did and will stay. Just press "skip".

Your desktop should have just a few folders on it including FSX Config, Temp, Nvidia Inspector, ( see note later) and Screenshots.

Do you have Shade installed?

You can start FSX by executing the "Shade" button

If you do not have "Shade" simply start FSX.

Once your sim has started go to the "locked" spot view and pan around in complete circles at least 4 times. This ensures loading all of the scenery vectors into the sim before you take off.

(if you fly in spot view always, always, always fly in "locked" spot.) This keeps your vertical refresh rate in check.

Weather

If your machine struggles somewhat I would suggest you start your flight with light weather until you are airborne and settled into your cruise. Then you can start your weather X. Most weather programs have a feature to disable weather updates while on approach to reduce risk of heavy loads and an unflyable FSX.

Nvidia Inspector

If you have a Nvidia video card please download this utility and place the unzipped folder on your desktop.

http://www.guru3d.co...r_download.html

Posted Image

ATI Cards

http://www.guru3d.co...1_download.html . I don't own ATI so you will have to ask others to post their settings.

So to summarize....

1) Empty the Temp folder.............C/Users/yourusername/Appdata/Local/Temp

2) Empty the Recycle Bin

3) Empty the FSX (cache) folder (delete the "Shaders" folder) FSX will build a new one................. C/Users/yourusername/Appdata/Local/Microsoft/FSX

4) Start FSX

5) Go to (locked) spot view and pan around 4 times.

6) Set up your flight and fly. ( when in outside view ALWAYS use "Locked Spot"!) This will ensure that your vertical sync is always true. To get the feel of the floating spot view hold your space bar and look around with your mouse.

I have found that by doing these few steps my flights are very smooth right from the start.

Hi Chick (or if anyone has the answer)

My FSX does not re-build the Shaders10 folder - is this to be expected?

It seems to run fine without but I dont know whether it would be better to put that particular one back in.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you to everyone for all the help. We decided to reinstall windows & then FSX onto a clean install.

We have a few issues with windows, but soon, hopefully very soon we can get to FSX.

In the meantime, special thanks to Chik.

Viv & Jan ::)

Archived