Qantas A380 departs Melbourne

Ed Correia

I decided to research, and looks like she gets back on Wed 22 @ 9.05am (12:15pm qantas time .. heheheheh)

It is my day off, so I hope to be able to get out and get a few pics :D

Guest Aussieman

It has got to be the ugliest aircraft ever built.

But then again cattle trucks were never designed for their beauty.

Cheers

Pat

I don't think its the ugliest ever built, but its not the prettiest either.  The most impressive thing about the A380, to me anyways, is the massive tail.  It is just enormous.  Very cool 8)

The 777 and concorde have the most graceful lines of any airliners imo. Too bad the latter isn't flying anymore :'(

I am so happy I was able to see it back in 1998 at EAA Airventure.

I don't think its the ugliest ever built, but its not the prettiest either.  The most impressive thing about the A380, to me anyways, is the massive tail.  It is just enormous. 

[snip!]

Totally agree.  Every time I see the tail my jaw drops.

To me it a great looking aircraft.  Not as big as some of the egos I have to work with too.... :)

Great shots mate!!!

Can't wait to see a larger version. :)  But remember that the A380 is just over 2 meters longer than the 747-400. :)

Now there's something I never realised - not having ever had a closeup look at any of the BIG tubes, does anyone have any idea of a comparison to the size of the B52?, because I spent hours crawling all over that one up in Darwin (really got my moneys worth - just could not drag myself away lol) - that was fascinating just to see the immensity of it

As for Ugly - I would have to go along with counting the 380 in the top 10 at least of all time and the Concorde as the most elegant

... does anyone have any idea of a comparison to the size of the B52?, ...

From wikipedia, the B-52H is 48.5m long, with a wingspan of 56.4m.  The A380 is 73m long, with a wingspan of 79.8m.  It is also double the height of the B-52.  The new 747 is going to be bigger though.

The new 747 is going to be bigger though.

Huh  ??? Which new 747? If you're talking about the 747-8i, than the only dimension bigger than the A380 will be the O/A length, all others are a fair bit less...

Have a look here...

Posted Image

Talking about big planes, the C17 was at Nowra on the weekend... that was big!

I think most planes look very nice, there where a few enlish carrier based planes that looked somewhat wrong. But then again the late 40's to the 60's (as was a time of great experimentation) gave birth to many a awkward look flying thing.

Now a days most things having been sorted out its only the rare experimental or ground breaking aircraft that looks weird (F117 case in point). Otherwise they all nearly look the same!  >:(

Thanks for the photos gents. 

Archived