if you forget to change region in FTX Central and install update

Hank

HELP !!!!! Could anyone tell me if the computer will go to a BSOD if you accidentaly install a

patch in a wrong region?

I still had FTX England (EU) set in my FTX Central. I installed the latest PFJ 003 patch before

I realized my error. I then went to FTX Central and applied default. Closed FTX Central. Re-opened

it and applied North America and installed the PFJ patch again. I noticed when I did it a second time

FTX Central did NOT revert automatically to the default setting. I thought nothing of it, and re-applied

EU to go for a flight in England.

Everything loaded OK and I went to an airfield in Nottingham. Taxied to the runway and went to

full power to take off and BSOD.

When the computer turned off all the USB connected items, rudder pedals, yoke and throttle quadrant

etc remained on. However the keyboard didn't; and when I went to restart to try and go into "safe mode"

none of the "function" keys worked. Nor did the arrows up and down.

Is this a result of my mistake with the PFJ install? Has it happened to anyone else? What solution,

if any is there?

Thanks guys.

Hank

Hello Hank

I'm another user.

I assume those are two unrelated problems that unluckily happened at the same time.

Can you track down that BSOD or other related error message in the Event Viewer?

ORBX scenery can be fixed, but only after you manage to get your PC up and running. (ie Working Keyboard)

Here’s what I would do:

Disconnect all USB’s from the PC, except Keyboard and Mouse and try to boot into Safe Mode, if that works then reboot to Normal Mode and then connect one USB at a time and check again. In case it does not work then you might have a faulty Keyboard and or Mouse, you will have to get hold of another keyboard and/or mouse to test those.

Windows Registry can also be/or got corrupted, so make a Restore Point and either try to revert your PC to a previous Date Restore Point and/or run a Registry Cleaner, and “Disk Cleanupâ€.

Once the PC and keyboard is up and running and since you have so many ORBX stuff I would try fixing the ORBX PFJ scenery.

Somewhere around here are instructions on how to remove EU England, but can’t remember the thread name and I’m not on my FSX PC. (It’s the England Folder under ORBX, plus ORBX England files in Scenery, but not sure as to the names)

I would then set FTX to default, remove England, then reinstall the PFJ, switch to NA and install the PFJ patch. Verify it is working as expected and lastly set FTX to default and install the EU England region.

Hope that helps.

Hi Hank,

installing the PFJ service pack without first switching regions won't lead to any issues because it only replaces a few local files. Not sure why FTX Central didn't came up the second time set to default but even that shouldn't be a problem, otherwise it would spit out an error message upon switching to Europe or another region.

The BSOD you describe sounds scary but I don't see how that could be connected to any FTX product. It appears to be a hardware failure induced by or within your control hardware. Hope you'll find a solution.

Cheers, Holger

Hi Holger,

I thought that that might be the case. I am extremely busy running around the district at the moment

as Santa; no time at all for FSX till after Christmas.. hence no time to look into the computer till then.

Thanks for getting back to me.

Wish you and anyone reading this post, a fantastic and safe Christmas.

Cheers

Hank

Holger and Ramon,

Ramon I followed your instructions and I'm back in the air.

Holger, you were right it was a hardware thing... I had overclocked the CPU a bit too much

and hence the BSOD. Clicked the CMOS reset button and followed Ramons lead and hey

presto..all is well.

Thanks again to both of you. A merry and safe Christmas.

Cheers

Hank

Archived