CYBD AI Traffic issues

M-Sauce

Hello ORBX team. I am seeing a few issues with CYBD

AI Aircraft seem sunken into the ground. Their shadows also seem to have didssappeared. Don't know if this is just a feature of this addon or if it is related to the sunken stance.

Could you also make an ADE file that includes a turning loop at the end of the runway? Otherwise traffic makes an excursion onto the grass to spin around.

And what is the best way to disable your static aircraft? You used to include it as an option in the control panels, but it seems to no longer be an option on the latest airports. Is there a way to remove the static aircraft without causing issues with the FTX Central manager?

Here are some shots to show you what I mean.

http://www.alpha-india.net/forums/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=15040.0;attach=21206;image

http://www.alpha-india.net/forums/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=15040.0;attach=21208;image

http://www.alpha-india.net/forums/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=15040.0;attach=21210;image

Thanks

AI is actually going to be removed from CYBD as it's use is made impossible by the surrounding mountains. AI aircraft are unable to deal with the proximity of mountains to the airport and so fly into the mountainside shortly after take off.

The reason the AI is 'sunken' into the surface is because the ground of the airport is not actually the FSX ground, it sits higher because it's all a big model (which is how the 2cm HD ground textures work)

The static aircraft are not typically an option on the control panel of airports now because they have zero impact on frame rates. Control panel options are there specifically to help increase frame rates for those having issues, therefore if something does not impact frame rates it will not have an option to remove it in the control panel.

Russ.

OK, well, does not really help. Not worried about performance issues with statics, I think they look ugly so I want to remove them. Next to an AI model they don't look as good. Would rather use AI as static, but I can do that on my own if need be. My main concern is to remove the statics without messing with the FTX Central controller's functioning.

I'm surprised the AI will be removed. I understand that aircraft colide with hills, but this happens at many airports. AI brings a little more realism and I would rather have them colide than not be there. I hope this is not a new trend in scenery design, AI is one of the bigger attractors to many airports.

As far as the sunken surface, this seems a bit strange. CZST does not seem to have this same issue and it is also a similar build, is it not? I don't know about others, but having the aircraft sunk underground is a bit of a show stopper for me. Not just for AI but user aircraft as well.

CZST Stewart is exactly the same, AI was not implemented there for the same mountain reasons.

User aircraft will not sink into the ground.

If you really dont want to see the statics, then naviagte to your FSX directory and go to "ORBX\FTX_NA\FTX_AA_CYBD\Scenery" and then rename the file "CYBD_aircraft_1.bgl" to "CYBD_aircraft_1.off"

** renaming files within the ORBX install directories is done as at your own risk! **

Russ.

I certainly understand how having AI fly into the mountain would be an issue for many people. Personally, I would rather have the AI on the ground as the taxiing and takeoffs/landings add a lot to the airport atmosphere. I don't follow the AI long enough to notice the mountain issues. Would you consider making the removal of AI from this airport optional? I suspect that there are a number of us that might choose to keep it.

Bill

I certainly understand how having AI fly into the mountain would be an issue for many people. Personally, I would rather have the AI on the ground as the taxiing and takeoffs/landings add a lot to the airport atmosphere. I don't follow the AI long enough to notice the mountain issues. Would you consider making the removal of AI from this airport optional? I suspect that there are a number of us that might choose to keep it.

Bill

I would be one of those who would vote to keep the AI traffic, really adds a lot to an airport! Having a control panel option would be sweet. Also, is there plans for sounds (birds, etc) to be added. Still looking for those creatures ::)

Love the airport, great job Russ and team.....

Cheers

Martin

I would be one of those who would vote to keep the AI traffic, really adds a lot to an airport! Having a control panel option would be sweet. Also, is there plans for sounds (birds, etc) to be added. Still looking for those creatures ::)

Love the airport, great job Russ and team.....

Cheers

Martin

I'm with Martin...+1

Hi Russ

** renaming files within the ORBX install directories is done as at your own risk! **

That is my concern. Can I rename this file you mention without any issues when I run FTX Central? That is why I was hoping you would make Static aircraft removal an option through the control panel, I think it would reduce the chances of something going wrong during install/uninstlall/update process. Considering how many people use AI it would probably also save you guys a bit of time on future support issues regarding this.

I analyzed the traffic and there is quite a few AI planes visiting from your PFJ traffic file. I also have a Pacific Coastal visiting the airport daily with their SF3s, as seen in the screens.

Anyway, I hope you guys can sort this aspect out regarding AI. I buy most of the stuff you guys put out when it is released, I would hate to have to filter out the airports that leave out this big part of our great hobby.

Thanks for your assistance.

I had assumed that the .003 update would resolve the issue of the AI aircraft sinking into the ground and had therefore not commented on it. So now, I don't quite understand what this means; "The reason the AI is 'sunken' into the surface is because the ground of the airport is not actually the FSX ground, it sits higher because it's all a big model (which is how the 2cm HD ground textures work)." The implication being, as I read it, is that any airfield that uses a 2cm HD ground texture will result in sunken AI aircraft. I find this to be somewhat disconcerting - I simply would prefer that the AI aircraft are not sunken into the ground... Is there a workaround, perhaps an adjustment in FSX/P3D that would resolve this? Somewhat tongue in cheek, this does give new meaning to "ground breaking"...

AI is not my area of development, so this thread would be better answered by Graham, who does the AI and APX work for most Orbx airports.

Mariano, yes you can rename that file without issue to FTX central, changing the .bgl tag to .off simply means FSX wont understand it's format and therefore wont display it's content, which in this case are the Static aircraft.

Russ.

I too am a great lover of AI traffic and try to include as much as possible in any airport I am involved in. There is a small update to the FTX NA AI Traffic pack being released shortly and that will replace the PFJ Traffic file. This update will remove the AI aircraft scheduled for Bella Coola as I felt the wheels embedded in the ground was a 'show stopper' for me. The APX for the airport still has the required infrastructure for AI aircraft and has a coded parking spot for Pacific Coastal so those of you with 3rd party AI traffic packages will still see those aircraft visiting CYBD.

The PFJ Traffic file uses FSX default aircraft and as such, was demanding at the best of time but more so at a detailed, high resolution airport like Bella Coola. The mountains surrounding CYBD are also an issue but no more so than at many other NA airports and as someone suggested, any impact with AI traffic flying into mountains is generally way out of site anyway.

Let me work with Russ and see if we can come up with a solution to this issue and if a workaround is possible, we will release a SP in the new year.

Archived