GPU selection for upgrade

domenic

Hi Guys,

Iam currently upgrading my rig, have purchased an i5 3570k and I am just about to choose a motherboard and RAM. However I am having a tricky time selecting a GPU.

After reading a few threads, my initial thoughts are to go for a 660ti. I am wondering if this card is adequate enough for my ORBX add on scenery and REX essentials plus, or should I consider something better?

Would appreciate you input and experiences.

Cheers

Dom

I would personally go for the 670. It is the absolute sweet spot for performance vs value. No far off a 680. If the budget allows it of course. If you got the i5 you saved £100 on the 3770k you thought about ;D .

What Ram/Motherboard are you going for?

I am amazingly happy with my 680. Lovely and quiet whilst ripping every single game I own to pieces including BF3. I'd suggest having a think about what else it is going to be used for as my really old pair of Radeon 5770s gave me full autogen on this current system with FSX. If you play other big games, spend the money, if not then pick up a 670 or lower. The mobo on the other hand is a tad trickier as it needs to 1: fit your case and 2: clock the pants off of that i5 for FSX; I like Asus boards as they've always been reliable for me and have a very friendly bios, I'm sure others will have different opinions on that one. Finally, RAM = lots.

I know it's all opinion but I hope that helps.

I'm running three 24 inch monitors with a gigabyte GTX670 at 5760x1080 and still get 25-30 fps with the sliders near max while running Rex with hd clouds.

I am upgrading to a pair of asus GTX680 top editions in sli next week so if you want to save a little on a 670 let me know.

Hi Guys Thanks for your help and advice.

I am considering a Asus P877-V, possibly one of the Gigbyte Z77 chipset mb's too. I'm not sure which mb would give the better overclock. I I'm thinking on one of those closed loop water coolers. My Case is a decent size (slightly larger than midi).

I'm not sure which RAM but probably G-Skill RAM (8gb),perhaps 16gb. The brand of RAM might be determined by my mb choice.

I don't use any other sims and very few games, perhaps BF3 and I'm interested in getting into Skyrim.

I could be interested in a 670, I'll pm you waygo.

Cheers

Dom

I must have got the duds in the batch. All three Asus boards I have owned all developed problems after a year or so... usually with the rear I/O ports, one of them had a more serious issue. Had a few Gigabyte boards and no problems, and one A-Bit board with no problem.

Re GPU, I just recently upgraded to a 670 and very happy with it so far.

I'm just going to add here, if you plan on getting Skyrim, expect to mod the pants off of it as soon as you see the goodies in the Steam workshop but be warned, my current rig has a fair amount of kick but with Skyrim on max with 30 or so texture mods on, the card and cooler get a little toasty. That game gets seriously power hungry when you bring its graphics up to today's standards. BF3 will be fine on a single monitor though, not too sure about multiscreen on a single card as I only run the one massive one.

In light of your intentions I'd say spend now rather than forking out the best part of a thousand on parts only to find out you want an upgrade soon after.

edit: Boom! My first century.

Hi Coubs,

Thanks for your input, I think I am gonna stretch my budget a lil on this one, as this will be the last rig I build for a while. As I will soon have a wedding and house to pay for :( So i figure I 'll get something decent while I have the oppurtunity.

I still think my choice of an i5 3570k is the right one, but I will by a better mb that will OC well and then use a water cooler.

GPU i'm thinking maybe pay the extra for a 670.

Do it, and you definitely wont regret it. My rig (in the sig) cost me £900ish in parts and about a day of my time putting it all together and installing everything; with the i5 and 670 you should be able to get it all done for under £600-700 including a very capable mobo, Corsair or Antek closed water loop and, if you have a look at dabs, 16gb of Corsair, Kingston or Crucial Ram (you'd be surprised at how quickly Skyrim eats even 16gb when it's modded heavily). Make sure you have a nice big case as well as these coolers eat a lot of space.

Good luck with this and make sure you post some build pictures up when you get it all together; I think it's safe to say we all like a shiny new computer to look at.

This might give you an idea of how much extra space you need to fit any of these water loops. The H60 and Antec 720 are slightly smaller and only have one fan but they still need a lot more room than an air block.

Posted Image

I am amazingly happy with my 680. Lovely and quiet whilst ripping every single game I own to pieces including BF3. I'd suggest having a think about what else it is going to be used for as my really old pair of Radeon 5770s gave me full autogen on this current system with FSX. If you play other big games, spend the money, if not then pick up a 670 or lower. The mobo on the other hand is a tad trickier as it needs to 1: fit your case and 2: clock the pants off of that i5 for FSX; I like Asus boards as they've always been reliable for me and have a very friendly bios, I'm sure others will have different opinions on that one. Finally, RAM = lots.

I know it's all opinion but I hope that helps.

+1 The 680 is sweet and less $$ than a 580!

Cheers

jja

Thanks guys,

I have the following case. Which i think will accomadate the H100i, I belive this is an new and improved version of the H100.

/>http://www.coolermaster.co.uk/product.php?category_id=3586&product_id=6644

Cheers

Dom

Doesn't that case have a 1x140mm fan position in the top. You can mount it in the bottom guess. Or go with a H80i as there was very little difference between the 2 temps when I used all in 1 water kits.

The website tech specs say the following about the top cooling.

"Top: 120 / 140 mm fan x 2 / 1200 RPM / 19 dBA (optional)

Regards

Dom

• 5 weeks later...

Archived