Which Spitfire to buy?

Capt Pugwash

Need a decent Spitfire to compliment my EU England...

The A2A Spitfire appears to have a great wealth of detail, but is it the best?

The Realair Spitfire looks great as well, although lacking some of the toys you have on the A2A...athough they say you get this free with their Spitfire...

"Within this Spitfire Package is some specially made scenery depicting West Malling, a real RAF Wartime Station located in Kent, South Eastern England, about 25 miles from the centre of London.

West Malling was one of the most important fighter aircraft stations in Southern England between 1940 and 1945. For most of WW2 West Malling housed various squadrons of Spitfires and was most notable as a base from which Mk XIV Spitfires attempted to sabotage German V bombs by tipping their winglets before they reached their target... generally London. West Malling also had active conventional fighter squadrons.

The scenery, created by Bill Womack, depicts the airfield as it was circa 1943, with several hangers, workshops, a tower, shelters, officers quarters, stores, and the ad hoc “blister hangers†in which the Spitfires would be temporarily housed before they were scrambled. West Malling has a 4000 ft runway (06/24) and an unused grass strip traversing it."

Two questions...will the West Malling Airfield work ok with the new FTX EU England?...guess Bill would know!

And finally which Spitfire should I go for???

Any feedback greatly appreciated...

If you want to experience what it is like to fly a Spitfire, get the A2A. It is the best by a wide margin. BUT this fidelity will be a problem if you just want to fly around England in a classic aircraft. Spitfires were point defense fighters designed to climb quickly to high altitude. Remember the scene from from the classic Battle of Britain movie about needing to scramble before the engine overheated? The A2A will overheat VERY easily if you are messing about at low altitude looking at the pretty scenery.

The RealAir package gives you a Spitfire IX and a Griffon engined Spitfire XIV (regular and contra-prop), both with WW2 and modern warbird cockpits. The modern cockpit has a VOR radio & indicator for navigation in place of the gunsight. These are also very good models, but as long as you don't run on full boost for more than 5 min you don't really have to worry about the engine. I'd say the Spit IX with the modern cockpit is the best Spitfire for enjoying scenery.

The A2A is the better simulation of a Spitfire and very rewarding once you learn to fly it properly, but if you just want to fly, go with RealAir. I have both.

Hmm, now I need to "bite the bullet" on this.... Bill's WWII Airfield Scenery with the Realair spit might just tip the scales (if compatible with EU ENG)

Yes, I want to get low into my EU ENG Scenery with my Spit, sounds like A2A's could be quite a handful...

Thanks for the "heads up"

I have both, did, because there is nothing that comes close to the A2A accu-sim Spit, first let me say the only GA's I fly are RealAir Lanacir and Duke T and the BirdDog for very low and slow, I,ve binded just about every GA out there.

So I only fly what IMO is as close to the real thing I can get, the only other aircraft in my hanger are PMDG NGX, A2A Spit and there new Civ P51-D and the Sabra F-86

If you have never had a Accu-Sim in you hanger after 30 mins you will be wondering what have you been missing all this time.

The only good point against it is it does over heat easy but since its winter here and if you use real weather the spit will love the cold, it will be like this for 4 months so heat will be no problem in that time.

Agreed with the statements above, both are great examples. The Real Air example is a few years older too. That being said it depends what kind of flying you want to do. The RealAir Spits are great if you want to focus more on looking outside and watching the scenery. The A2A Spitfire will keep you on your toes. Accusim raises your pilot awareness and forces you to pay attention to the little things. The P-40 and P-51 Civil/Mil are also excellent.

I still find the P-40 to be an excellent low altitude touring craft, I can get it into shorter runways than the P-51, and I don't have to wait to cool down to take off again like the Spit. Each of the A2A craft have their own 'personality', one will 'fit' you the best depending on your style of flying. And just becase one 'fits' you better, the others present other challenges that make them equally enjoyable.

Cheers

TJ

Not sure if it's still available, but A2A also did a Spitfire in the "Solo" range. Not as good as the WOP3 or the Realair maybe, but it has very nice handling, and doesn't overheat like the WOP3.

Even though I have the WOP3 Spit, P51 military and Civil, P40, B17, Cub AND the P47, I still have the Solo Spitfire installed for when I just want to fly around looking at the scenery, without worrying about my engine. It isn't a patch not the Accusim birds, but I still enjoy flying it.

Of course now days, my bird of choice for most things is the Realair Legacy.

Looks like the A2A WOP3 Spit is going to be my choice, but before I buy her, I wondered if I only need the plane and not Accu sim, because I already have Accu Feel for buffeting etc...

I wondered if using Accu Feel instead of Accu Sim would give me a great Spit but without the hassle of overheating issues and maintenance which would stand in the way of me just flying this great model low over my EU ENG scenery, but still have the great flight model?

Do you get the latest sound pack and flight model as standard? or does it only come with Accu Sim?

Never purchased an A2A product apart from Accu Feel so I am unsure what to expect with their standard Spitfire...

Anybody tried using accu feel instead of Accu Sim WOP3 with the A2A Spit?

Well, AccuFeel is not Accusim. Accusim gives you enhanced systems and engine physics. So when you are buying the A2A Spitfire you get all stuff you need to fly. Accusim enhances this by adding certain sounds and effects for coughing engine and so on. But also you have to take care more about the aircraft.

So if you want an aircraft for flying around definately go with the A2A Spitfire. If later you want more you can get Accusim then.

Accu-sim are the modules designed specifically for a specific A2A aircraft...ala P-51, P-40, Spitfire..etc. Accu-Feel was designed for non A2A airplanes. For instance, when I fly the P-40, it has Accusim, and it really enhances the experience. If I fly my favorite little Baytower RV-7, I use Accu-feel, which greatly adds to the experience. The difference being, Accu-sim is much more specific and detailed because it is designed for specific aircraft. When they did the Spitfire, they actually sat in a Spitfire, recorded all the switches, programmed every system. All the differences between the models..in this case Mk Ia, IIa, and IIb...are modelled.

Another thing about Accusim, don't get the impression that the engine will blow up on you if you breathe wrong. These engines were designed to handle battle conditions, etc. For example, the P-40 is a very rugged airplane, it operated from jungle and desert airstrips. It's engine can handle alot. If you fly within aircraft limits, you will be fine. If you push the airplane beyond it's limits...bad things can and will happen. The more you fly, things will gradually wear down, and you will notice this in the aircraft peformance. The rate things wear down depends on your style of flying..if you are hard on the plane, things break faster. For instance, I like to fly my P-40 like a bush plane, as a consequence, I replace brakes alot, and an occasional bent prop :) Before each flight, you have a mechanic's window and you can see what parts need to be replaced...its really cool, sort of like doing a pre-flight, like in a real airplane. Yes you need to watch things like coolant and oil temps in Accu-sim planes, especially in the Spitfire, but again if you fly within aircraft tolerances, you will be fine and can enjoy exploring scenery. I think the big thing about Accusim is it encourages you to think a little more about how you fly, check systems....and overall teaches good flying habits, which will make you a better pilot.

Here is a good link describing accusim

http://a2asimulation...hp?f=93&t=32551

Another thing to remember with these airplanes, you can turn off the damage model at any time too.

Cheers

TJ

The A2A Spit with Accusim without a doubt , it's all about engine management. If you going to thrash her you're going to wreck her. Once you learn how to manage the cooling system, (and it aint that hard,) she's a great bird for checking out the scenery.

My tip would be to read the manual properly.

Archived