DVD vs Download implications for FSX & P3D

Matt McGee

I'm confused. ( I've read multiple threads in the FSX and P3D support sections, but I still don't really understand.)

I am trying to understand the implications of purchasing the DVD versions of current and future ORBX products (KWYS, England, W28) with regard to possibly changing to P3D in the future.

I currently have FSX and have no intention of switching to P3D anytime soon.

Almost all of my ORBX scenery is the download version.

I received Australia SP4 on DVD as a gift.

It may sound silly, but I found I really like having the box and DVD. (There is still something about pure download products that makes me uncomfortable.)

I would prefer to buy DVD versions as I continue my ORBX collection, but would like to keep the door open for P3D.

Questions:

1. If I buy a new download product, it comes with a dual installer, so I can install it for FSX now. If I get P3D in the future, I could re-download the P3D version, correct?

2. If I buy the DVD version, it will only work in FSX with no way to change to P3D in the future?

3. There is currently a tool to migrate the older ORBX download products to P3D? What about my AU SP4 DVD?

Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Basically all new released and re-mastered DVD versions will be P3D compatible out of the box. If you have an older DVD product, you use the migrator tool to migrate that over to P3D. FTX Australia SP4 DVDs are now P3D compatible out of the box, but you might have a copy from the old stock which were not, and would require the migrator tool for that one.

Basically all new released and re-mastered DVD versions will be P3D compatible out of the box. If you have an older DVD product, you use the migrator tool to migrate that over to P3D. FTX Australia SP4 DVDs are now P3D compatible out of the box, but you might have a copy from the old stock which were not, and would require the migrator tool for that one.

Thank you for the clarification Dean!

It's great that the new DVDs will work with either FSX or P3D. I can expand my library at will, with nothing to lose :)

Cheers,

Matt

Archived