Ketchikan Complete?

Ariel

Guys, is Ketchikan now "done"? I only ask because there was a promise on release to see if a few known issues could be resolved.

The one I care about specifically, is the the lack of PAPI's. In a beautifully modelled airport and surrounds it seems a shame to not have something which in real life is pretty important - as much so as the main r/w and approach lighting, it can be argued - bush pilots may not agree!. I certainly miss them on approaches in real-world weather, and for me it detracts from the otherwise superbly realistic immersion.

With all the other current development I suspect that you have now moved on, 'though.

Keep up the good work - you're making one old aviator very happy!

Graham

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, more info coming right up........

unfortunately a lot of time was spent trying to get them to work but to no avail. The problem is that to get the correct shape of the lofted runway and taxiway slopes the airport could not rely on the standard ground surface within flight sim as control over it's shape is not accurate enough. Therefore the whole airport terrain is a model, similar to the way a building would be modelled and added to the sim, only on a much bigger and more complex scale. The huge benefit of doing this is that you have complete and very accurate control over surface shape and behaviour, plus you are not limited to the 7cm ground texture resolution of the flightsim ground surface. The big problem with this technique is that 'models' in FSX are not handled in the same way the ground terrain is, which results in an inconsistent displaying of the PAPI system at PAKT.

When PAPI is used with standard FSX ground terrain, it works perfectly, and also when used with a standard ground poly that sits only slightly above the FSX terrain surface. But with PAKT the model runway is so far above the height of the FSX terrain under it, that FSX has problems knowing in which order to show the light effect and the runway model.

Graham, On a side note, i used to drive past Fleet every week on the M3. Small world.

Russ.

Archived