NZNI - NZAA Artefacts

Adam Banks

I'm really pleased with NZNI - combined with NZSI, it's transformed my NZ experience.

However - I'm having a few "issues" around NZAA:

1) Quite a few artefacts around NZAA. I always have scenery object shadows turned ON. Could anyone confirm whether they get these around NZAA as well?

Posted Image

Posted Image

These artefacts seem to come from airport ground objects (or trucks etc.).

2) Just to the north of NZAA, I have a strange ILS track ... with "Do not use" showing in FSX map view. What is it?

3) The ILS frequency for NZWP has changed to the military range (quite correctly, I think). Is there a way to persuade FSX to use these higher ranges (in the 300's)?

Thanks, rappleby - yes - me too. I also get the odd one appearing from one of the ships in the AKL harbour. I did another test: it's definitely having the scenery shadows turned on that brings these on, which is a shame as I prefer the realism of the shadows (even though I get the off flickering roof). Anyone at ORBX/FTX care to comment?

Hi Adam,

The FSX shadow system is a little bit buggy sometimes, that's why we advice to turn "Ground scenery shadows" OFF. You will see this issue in several default FSX cities as well. I don't think you'll be missing great thing by turning it off, IMO. And it will certainly increase your FPS because the amount of free resources you'll going to save from calculating shadows for objects.

Cheers,

Jorge.

The FSX shadow system is a little bit buggy sometimes, that's why we advice to turn "Ground scenery shadows" OFF. You will see this issue in several default FSX cities as well. I don't think you'll be missing great thing by turning it off, IMO.

Hi Jorge ... I hope that's not the official stance from ORBX, as I find building shadows greatly enhance the atmosphere. Without shadows, buildings have a "lego-land" quality to them - and the whole effect looks more like something out of a CAD-CAM program than a relatively realistic looking flight sim. See below:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I don't think I have this problem anywhere in NZSI - and certainly didn't have it with any my Godzone (and other) paid sceneries for both North and South Island - prior to installing NZNI/NZSI. NZNI seems to have it bad.

I appreciate this is a generic FSX problem, but I'd be deeply disappointed if ORBX uses this stance on shadows as a "cop-out" and doesn't address the issue. If other scenery designers can avoid these artefacts, why can't ORBX? They've done such a fantastic job in every other respect ;)

I agree that, as Jorge said, the FSX shadow system can be a little bit buggy at times. I concur in that I have seen this issue in FSX before. Specifically at Sydney (YSSY) in Australia. I have turned off the ground scenery shadows and the issue goes away. However, I also agree with Adam_NZ that the buildings really do "miss something" with the ground shadows turned off. Especially if you have aircraft shadows on, but not building shadows. However, for the gain in FPS it gives, and the lack of graphics anomolies, I have personally learnt the live with that.

Now, all of that said, it's not my intention to "absolve" ORBX from possibly having a legitimate issue here as per Adam_NZ's initial post. I am merely pointing out that I have indeed seen it in FSX before. It could possibly be that some specific building models have the problem (ie, the issue I have seen in FSX is with the Sydney Tower) ... and, therefore, in a similar way, a building model (or models) from ORBX may also have the same/similar issue? Hmmm, I think the Sydney Tower is part of the FTX AU scenery? So the issue prbably could do with a second, closer look; just to be sure.

No worries, mate. Could you show us the faulty objects then? Perhaps it can be address in a service pack.

Good on yer, Jorge :)

I take it the faulty objects can be spotted by trying to trace back the artefact to its source? Not always easy! Is there some sort of a tool I could be using? I suppose I could just wander around with BOB :lol: :lol: :lol:

OK here goes. I haven't bothered with slew/co-ordinates as these should be fairly easy to spot. There may be some duplication in the screenshots:

1) For the harbours at Auckland and Wellington, it appears that it's the same ferry/object that's causing the problem. These are the locations I could find - there may be others. There may be a way the scenery developer could find all occurrences within NZNI - though I suspect curing the basic object will sort all of them.

2) The terminal buildings at NZAA are a bit more difficult to pinpoint. In the attached screenshots, the artefacts are displaying as thin lines, but they quite often spread out to the familiar (annoying) wedge shape. The yellow arrow shows the approximate source of the artefact.

Auckland:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Wellington:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Best of luck!

Thanks, Jorge ... I'm pleased to help out in any way. I didn't mean pot all the faulty objects as such ... more along the lines of "if that particular ship/ferry object is the problem, is there a way to look into the scenery build file and globally search/replace them?".

Is there a specific area of these forums for reporting other NZNI related issues? My other queries (see original post) seem to have got buried by artefacts :lol:

I have another issue - albeit minor. NZNI seems littered with dozens of gothic cathedrals. Is it because it uses the French scenery objects <???>. Well .. there just aren't any in NZNI, and the one in SI at Christchurch is sadly no more. Is there a way of (globally) replacing that object with something ...errrrm ... less gothic?

I do find it quite odd stooging around Auckland and seeing all these spires! Ideally, I'd like you to come over to NZ and build some in RL :lol:

Thanks, Jorge ... I'm pleased to help out in any way. I didn't mean pot all the faulty objects as such ... more along the lines of "if that particular ship/ferry object is the problem, is there a way to look into the scenery build file and globally search/replace them?".

Oh, yeah. Now I understand. Yes, once we fix one model, everywhere it appears will be fixed as well.

I'm not part of the NZ developer team, so I can tell anything about model replacement (like the cathedral).

If you find another issue like this with the shadows (bugs), you can start a new support topic. Keep in mind that this is a representation and is very hard to be always like reality, specially for an entire region. The suggestions are very well come, though.

Cheers,

Jorge.

Hi Adam,

Good finds on the Auckland terminal and ship model. What you are seeing is the result of a model with "Volume Shadow" turned on but the model is not 'closed' so to speak. Meaning it has open spots or gaps between polygons.

The models you've noted are actually default FSX models that are used as generic fillers. Once we have a list of all the bugged ones (I suspect there are quite a few), then the models can either be deleted, replaced, or reworked.

As for other issues, just report them in the Payware Support forum and we compile all noted bugs into one large list.

Regards,

Alex

Archived