Aircraft carrier on land...

Butch

A couple of shots as I tour AU Green...

My flight was Bundaberg -> Rockhampton -> Mackay -> Hamilton Is. I dusted off the Cheyenne (checked oil, seals etc) and set off on a flight of discovery.

I took off from Bundaburg and headed out to sea, I wanted to fly about 5nm off the coast (rather than taking the inland route). I forgot to take photos until I was really close to my destination - Hamilton Is.

As I approached I did a circuit just to check the place out... well what a lovely place this turns out to be. The runway itself is massive for GA so landing is a none event. However for those who like to fly big iron this place doesn't get any better. A beautiful approach over some really stunning real estate, plus an unforgiving runway and nasty surrounding terrain.

Imagine this on a night flight in a fast jet at minimums.....sweaty palms?  Just lovely!  ;D

See what I mean...

Posted Image

What an approach... arresting wire please!

Posted Image

I'll be back tomorrow only I'll have my MD80 strapped on and its going to be interesting, pucker 2!

I'd pay for a 'HD' version of this airport, any takers?  ;D

Cheers

You are such a tease John  ;D  

I think this is a major 'must visit stop' for the tube liners and VA crowd for flights up along the north coast. Airports like, Gold Coast, Maroochydore, Hamilton Is., Cairns etc.

Just some of the airports which I hope are considered for future projects! :)

In the meantime, I am happy to beta test that er....ummm...scenery you just posted  ;D ;D ;D

Cheers,

Archived