3 missing presumed drowned, 10 rescued near NZNP

JimNZ

At 1.30 this afternoon, 11 children and 2 instructors were practicing rock climbing on the main sugar Loaf 'Paritutu'. For those who have bought NZNI fly from NZNP, follow the coast west until coming to the city of New Plymouth, then on to the massive power station chimney (750ft). You will see the large 'hill' which is Paritutu. The dev's have got it slightly wrong, in showing it as being part of the mainland when in fact there is a gap of some 150-200 meters, where in bad weather (like today) the sea gets extremely rough. At the base of Paritutu are a large number seals.

This is where this very sad tragedy happened.

I have advised the Dev's of this gap, and lack of harbour and Helipad.

I have posted this to get owners of NZNI a good reason to f;y our beautiful province which has Mt Taranaki/Egmont domineering the landscape.

Jim.

You're right on Kane, gee there's a mountain only a few miles away. They may have been saving pennies as the school involved is only a walk away, if this was the case, it leaves a lot to be desired as it was a very rough day here today, and once in the water between Paritutu and the mainland you stand no chance, many of the locals living down there said the sea's were as rough as they'd seen it.

By the way, off to your country Saturday for a month. staying in Ottawa, with a stop-over at Vancouver.

Regards,

Jim.

Enjoy Canada Jim,

Vancouver is a great airport and beautiful city. When in Ottawa be sure to go to the Canadian Air and Space Museum and the Canadian War Museum. They are both very good and the War Museum is one of the better museums I've ever been to. Lots of great exhibits and history in there, you can even get a picture with Hitler's Car (which is kind of creepy).

Cheers

Archived